Close
One second...

Write 5 Things You'd Change to Make Threadless Better

About the site, or Threadless in general -- write 5 things that you would change that would make Threadless a better company or community.

Here's mine.

1 -- Bring back the "Golden Tag"
Extremely rarely, a shirt is sent out that has been printed with a Golden Tag inside the collar. Owners of this shirt win 1 of each new shirt printed henceforth for an entire year -- all free of course.

2 -- Bring back design thumbnails
(or equivalent) So users can better share their designs in image form.

3 -- Make scoring simple again
I don't know what's going on with the new site and scoring, but I can't even begin to list the ways it messes up. The major offenders; not registering a score, not changing designs after score, and not registering comments (the blogs sometimes do this too). Bring back the old system -- or fix the current one.

4 -- More random goodness in shipments
Hand written thank yous with extra pins and sticker bonuses in your order makes the customer feel more appreciated. Generic thank yous issued to everyone is the lame sauce. Why? For the hell of it and it being awesome. That's why.

5 -- More community influence.
There's lots of chat options out there -- it shouldn't be overly difficult to host a community-based meeting for feedback say... once a month? Discuss upcoming events, the path the company is going, and get reaction/concerns/feedback from the designers and customers.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
vectored_life

I haven't been a member long so I don't know about the older features of Threadless but here goes:

1. I second Outlaw's ITEM 2
  2. The ability to edit comments after they are posted.
  3. Fix the delete post button.

I only have three items. I bring shame upon myself.

Outlaw01
theillustratorman said:
  1. The ability to edit comments after they are posted.
  2. Fix the delete post button.

YES. I posted about the delete posts a bit ago, and I already forgot how much I'd love that back.

Manupix

1: bring back the old site

2: bring back the old site

3: bring back the old site

4: bring back the old site

5: bring back the old site

Outlaw01
Manupix said:

1: bring back the old site

2: bring back the old site

3: bring back the old site

4: bring back the old site

5: bring back the old site

I lol'd my soda pop through my nose :(

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

hrm I don't know if I can make it till five.

1. FIX THE GODDAMNED VOTING JUST FIX IT ALREADY GODDAMIT

2. delete post button sounds nice.

3. fix/ finish/ create the new critiques section. Them newbies be neglected.

4. Pick braver/ weirder/ more diverse designs

5. Something something awesome

Twiggyhall

1-5) moar butts

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni
  1. I think once a month Alumnis should be able to vote for design to be printed and through a democratic process it actually does get printed (Alumni's can't vote for their own print).

2. I think Dan does a sterling job and it must be a ball ache every monday coming into an avalanche of subs. I wish Dan had an equally bad ass assistant to help weed out some of the super weak subs. (I also realise that Threadless is an inclusive site that wants to give people a shot at voting, but some of the subs are pure crap).

3. (This would probably be to hard to do) A Threadless portfolio review (with limited places for non-alumnis), where a staff member will look at the artist's body of work and critique them and give some guidance.

4. It would be nice to understand some of the inner workings at Threadless, see how decisions are made and the processes through which things are done.

5. A yearly questionnaire/ feedback form for artist to fill out for their thoughts about Threadless.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

I have a list of 4 things that are wrong with threadless 1.J 2.E 3.F 4.F

hehehehehe.

adamenger

Hey guys, I work on the digital team here at Threadless and I'm largely involved with our production infrastructure but I'm really happy to hear about what we can do to make the site better for everyone. I only started in January, so a lot of what you're mentioning hasn't been done for a while I think?

I know scoring has a lot of issues but what other things can we do to bring this back to a place where you'd like to hang again? We're always open to suggestions, and to be honest, most of our time is spent trying to make the site better, so if you turned this into a constructive thread about things the community really wants to see, I'll do my best to take this back to the team and have some serious discussion around all of it.

Outlaw01
soloyo said:

hehehehehe.

Classic Nestor.

dhendy
dhendy profile pic Staff
soloyo said:

hehehehehe.

+1

ellygeh
ellygeh profile pic Alumni

What Wharton and Rob said!

Also, WHERE HAVE YOU BEEN MANU! I've missed you buddy! We need more science/astronomy threads!

Outlaw01
adamenger said:

I know scoring has a lot of issues but what other things can we do to bring this back to a place where you'd like to hang again? We're always open to suggestions, and to be honest, most of our time is spent trying to make the site better, so if you turned this into a constructive thread about things the community really wants to see, I'll do my best to take this back to the team and have some serious discussion around all of it.

Aside from the scoring issues (that actually make me not score designs now); My major issue with Threadless is that the Threaddies Facebook group sees more activity than the forums now :(

idk how to change that, but it should probably be a focus for a community oriented business.

Outlaw01
adamenger said:

Hey guys, I work on the digital team here at Threadless and I'm largely involved with our production infrastructure but I'm really happy to hear about what we can do to make the site better for everyone. I only started in January, so a lot of what you're mentioning hasn't been done for a while I think?

But also -- thanks for the quick response. I hope this becomes a thread in which you can glance at and find ways to improve :)

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
  1. Let us see the whole SkinnyStats again
  2. Set up the challenge voting so that every sub gets 7 days like everything else
  3. Put the "Don't Spam" disclaimer back in the design comment box
  4. Bring back the weekly Threadless live show and chat. Bob Nanna!
  5. Butts
Wharton
Morkki said:
  1. Let us see the whole SkinnyStats again
  2. Set up the challenge voting so that every sub gets 7 days like everything else
  3. Put the "Don't Spam" disclaimer back in the design comment box
  4. Bring back the weekly Threadless live show and chat. Bob Nanna!
  5. Butts

Skinny Stats and the 'Be Nice' comment box blurb, yes! The challenge voting days is crazy, if you sub early your design is hounded for the full length of the challenge and down voted to hell.

Wharton
soloyo said:

hehehehehe.

Definitely.

celandinestern

hey it's always nice to see staff in these blugs :)))

It's a tricky thing. If we're honest, we have to admit that the forums have sort of died. Like a big part of the Threadless forum community just didn't survive the move to the new site, with all the bugs and continuing issues (voting really being the biggest, I think for everyone). Then that moment of temporary weakness sort of gets extended because spambots and newbs flood the forum, and then the oldtimers who do still come around come by and see they've got nothing to comment on.

I'm not sure how those slumps get reversed. Maybe it's just a cycle and the forum will naturally pick up again as the site's bugs are ironed out and more cool artist perks are introduced.

One shift I'm definitely feeling is more towards the consumer and less towards the artist. I know this is a sort of taboo thing to talk about, but it feels like most of the 'improvements' on the new site were meant more to bring new people in, and less to keep us old farts happy. I get it's super profitable to have co-ops with big franchises like Disney and Marvel, but those contests just beg for derivative and repetitive designs. (Go count the donuts in the Simpsons comp). Yes, some awesome stuff might come from it too, but the dross makes it hard to vote, and sort of hard to care for those comps, for me at least.

A nice counterbalance to that might be what Whartface up there said about an alumni-picked print each month or so. There are a bunch of artists here we're all rooting for to get prints (or more prints) and they seem to keep not getting them - it would be awesome if the community could make that happen for them. These would tend to be more far-left-field, less run-of-the-mill cat and mario and distressed SF landscape type subs.

celandinestern

also everything morkki said.

Wharton

I think its not just up to Threadless to manufacture a community for us, at the end of the day we need to make our own fun and games and keep the ball rolling. I don't want to back pat Stacy, Tiffany, John and my own back too hard, but the House challenge is going pretty well (I think) and people seem more pumped than I've seen them in a while. I'm meeting new people and voting and generally pitching in more than usual. So, we can do these things, we just need to get on and do them. But naturally having Threadless bring things to the table can only be a bonus. welcome.

Like Lidia said, its also really nice to see Threadstaff commenting in Threads too.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

1.Scoring is currently difficult as others have said. 2. I like the idea of challenges that take designers out of their comfort zone and produce some more diverse threadshirts, but imo the challenges that come from within threadless such as the odd couples, hoodies, and not safe for threadless are A MILLION times more beneficial than the 3rd party challenges which are constricting creatively, controlling legally, and produce less original work. I'm proud of threadless for being able to bring in these big names and try to help us get exposure through their licensed characters/content, but I just think there are so many of them so fast, the people who take creative risks often aren't rewarded and those who work their butt off and even do get a print/win arent recognized for the enormity of the accomplishment because of the quick challenge turnaround. I guess maybe I would prefer threadless to be more discriminatory with who they choose so they there will be less 3rd party challenges, but the ones we have really feel heavy and exciting. 3. whoever is in charge of community/etc you are on a roll. I'll admit I was getting pretty burnt out and now I'm having a ton of fun on the forums and community challenges. Whatever that budget is, give them more cause they are winners. 4. I'm a big fan of the idea of the select line, and the work/apparel that comes out of it. I'd like to see it expand and gain some strength, although there has been a lot of cool stuff going on with it lately. 5. Adding on my personal lackluster response to 3rd party competitions, I think I'd rather see the resources that go to that kind of work shift toward working with other apparel retailers like the work threadless has done with GAP. I know many people feel like working with large retailers like that is the enemy, but I say getting artists that large scale exposure, while still letting them create what comes to mind and not follow a strict creative guideline to do it is really great. Every shirt from threadless that pops up in a retail store is almost surely replacing a less thought out, rushed, and tacky design. I say the more the better.

moosabman

^oops, there goes my formatting. ;)

moosabman

^ agreeing with Wharton on all that.

Outlaw01
moosabman said:

^oops, there goes my formatting. ;)

So you would probably really like if we could edit our comments too.

adamenger

Thanks guys, I appreciate everything you've written.

What is SkinnyStats?

Outlaw01
adamenger said:

What is SkinnyStats?

It was all the statistical data of a design that was shown to the designer at the end of the scoring period.

It revealed the score, the score without zeroes, the "i'd buy it" votes, the girl votes, the anonymous votes, the guy votes -- pretty much all the statistical date you could want.

Outlaw01

statistical data*

adamenger
Outlaw01 said:
adamenger said:

What is SkinnyStats?

It was all the statistical data of a design that was shown to the designer at the end of the scoring period.

It revealed the score, the score without zeroes, the "i'd buy it" votes, the girl votes, the anonymous votes, the guy votes -- pretty much all the statistical date you could want.

It's obvious we really need to allow you to edit your comments :D - interesting, I wonder if that code is sitting in a vault somewhere where I can revive.

Outlaw01

There we go

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!
  1. Get rid of top scoring
  2. Allow design suns back into the forums
  3. Skinny stats back when a design has ended
  4. Fix scoring
  5. Make morkki an ambassador, he may be a Dead Goat, but he's OUR Dead Goat
  6. Fix lists if this doesn't post properly
Outlaw01
adamenger said:

It's obvious we really need to allow you to edit your comments :D - interesting, I wonder if that code is sitting in a vault somewhere where I can revive.

thrdlss pls

Morkki

Editing comments is a useful feature but it's also a bit of a can of worms. I dunno, most people would probably handle it like adults but on some forums discussions are impossible to follow when people keep editing and deleting what they said.

adamenger
quick-brown-fox said:
  1. Get rid of top scoring
  2. Allow design suns back into the forums
  3. Skinny stats back when a design has ended
  4. Fix scoring
  5. Make morkki an ambassador, he may be a Dead Goat, but he's OUR Dead Goat
  6. Fix lists if this doesn't post properly

What's top scoring?

vectored_life
Wharton said:
  1. I think once a month Alumnis should be able to vote for design to be printed and through a democratic process it actually does get printed (Alumni's can't vote for their own print).

2. I think Dan does a sterling job and it must be a ball ache every monday coming into an avalanche of subs. I wish Dan had an equally bad ass assistant to help weed out some of the super weak subs. (I also realise that Threadless is an inclusive site that wants to give people a shot at voting, but some of the subs are pure crap).

3. (This would probably be to hard to do) A Threadless portfolio review (with limited places for non-alumnis), where a staff member will look at the artist's body of work and critique them and give some guidance.

4. It would be nice to understand some of the inner workings at Threadless, see how decisions are made and the processes through which things are done.

5. A yearly questionnaire/ feedback form for artist to fill out for their thoughts about Threadless.

Especially number 3...even though I'm not an alumi and I could see how hard it would be to do but it would help artists a lot!

quick-brown-fox

Top scoring is when you can look at design challenges and filter by top scoring, I'd prefer not to give down voters a target to use their fake accounts on. They can guess.

Morkki
quick-brown-fox said:
  1. Make morkki an ambassador, he may be a Dead Goat, but he's OUR Dead Goat

Aw that's nice of you! But I wouldn't even know what to do. Avoid real work to do dumb photoshops?

vectored_life

THAT'S WHAT SKINNY STATS WAS!?!?!?! <----Sorry, noob excitement. I totally want that since I know what that is now!

quick-brown-fox

99.9% of the time I agree with you in threads like this. Photoshops and gifs.

adamenger
quick-brown-fox said:

Top scoring is when you can look at design challenges and filter by top scoring, I'd prefer not to give down voters a target to use their fake accounts on. They can guess.

Do people downvote the most popular shit just because they can?

Morkki

Oh, yes

quick-brown-fox

There seems to have been a trend where not so good designs ended up being the top scoring designs in challenges. Those designs had a lot of comments from people with no avatars who an average score of 1.0 after scoring a bunch if designs.

Now I'm no columbo, but that was the only conclusion I could come to.

adamenger

Come chat with me! I've got a broken ass foot so I'm sitting on my ass this Friday eve(aside from snatching up great deals on the Steam sale and playing through those).

https://www.hipchat.com/gPVsHLjo5

nickv47
nickv47 profile pic Alumni
  1. The site is slow. Might be my connection, but the lazy loading of comments and the loading of designs takes wayyyy too long. Kills my desire to score, i get tired of waiting.

2. Bring back the sun lighting of designs that are commented on back to the forum again.

3. The dropdown under your user name on the site to get to "profile, account, and sign out" seems like it could be done inline on the yellow bar on the header of the site. Get rid of the extra click.

4. Skinny stats, yes, bring it back.

5. I personally like the filtering. Let's you know where you stand in the sea of subs.

Wharton said:

I think its not just up to Threadless to manufacture a community for us, at the end of the day we need to make our own fun and games and keep the ball rolling. I don't want to back pat Stacy, Tiffany, John and my own back too hard, but the House challenge is going pretty well (I think) and people seem more pumped than I've seen them in a while. I'm meeting new people and voting and generally pitching in more than usual. So, we can do these things, we just need to get on and do them. But naturally having Threadless bring things to the table can only be a bonus. welcome.

Like Lidia said, its also really nice to see Threadstaff commenting in Threads too.

awesome idea and job guys. i'm loving the houses. it's how that camp thing should've played out a couple years ago.

quick-brown-fox said:

Get rid of auto correct on macs

that can be adjusted by you in the toolbar of your fav browser. click "edit", turn off spell check.

quick-brown-fox said:

I even made a bad new skinnystats thing

this math doesn't jive.

38Sunsets
38Sunsets profile pic Alumni

Hi, I do not know the "old site", so I cannot refer to it - I am used to actual version, however my first days here where tricky. Well known bugs could be fixed for sure, but one feature that I would like to see is "edit comment" once it was posted.

Outlaw01
38 Sunsets said:

Hi, I do not know the "old site", so I cannot refer to it - I am used to actual version, however my first days here where tricky. Well known bugs could be fixed for sure, but one feature that I would like to see is "edit comment" once it was posted.

it was a golden age. submissions were scored quickly, 0's were still in place. You could delete blogs and check stats. Designs had their own sharing page, and the forums were full of people. Now it's all Mad Max around here.

[+duracell-]
  1. Fix newline function

2. Edit button. Add one. Give it a time limit if you want.

3. Fix average score. You're adding new 1 - 5 based scoring data on top of old 0 - 5 based data. Therefore its wrong. Start over. Once you blank the averages, make it optional in profiles..you know since is near meaningless anyway.

4. Stop hugging Facebook's nutsack

5. Bring back youtubes

6. Fix downvoter/upvoter problem (i can help you with that but no one cares about my opinion anyway)

7. Fix scoring

8. Fix text preview display

9. More threadstaff videos. Send Speedy out for a cheeseburger or something with a helmet cam. I dont give a damn I just want entertainment.

10. American Ninja Warrior Mondays. We all sit and drink beer while watching and then talk about how we could totally do better.

11. Hire more people to fix things. Fire the people that suck at fixing things.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
  5. 5
No account?
Join Us