Close
One second...

I got denied my first try, any advice on my design? Its missing something

Please! Advice needed!

Watch this
digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

i see an owl, nipples, and a surfboard... or maybe it's a tongue. either way i'm confused. what was your concept/inspiration/message you were trying to get across

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

It frightens me o.o

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

weird stuff man... weird stuff...

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I see Nipples too. What.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

Sometimes I too play my tongue flute while sitting on a rocky hillside listening to birds. But not owls....they can't carry a tune. Finches man...it's all about them Finches.

vectored_life

I think it's a frog or toad...but since digsby said nipples, it's all I can see now! That and a visual image of someone playing their tongue like a flute.

Worrellwide

It was Inspired by Alex Pardee mixed with Salvador Dali. It was literally a scribble that I made a picture out of. Some people say its a an its boobs but its original context was eyes. But for Not Safe for Threadless it became nipples. Its like a fish playing his really large tongue as a flute with a owl head as a hat? Theres a deep explanation but I like the viewer to get out of it what they can. I drew this almost 6 years ago when I was in the 10th grade. I want to keep the subject matter, but the shirt needs something else.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

Ok now I see the fish. I just think it's too off-putting and weird to be a shirt, even for the NSFT challenge. I love Salvador Dali too but you could try doing something less sexual-looking and more commercial with those influences? It looks like you have skills, but concept is key.

You could also think about the shirt as a canvas and try to fill it more or just play around with the composition.

Worrellwide

I was thinking that too. And when I looked at the first few turn ins they were more sexual.... as in the human centipede... So I went by examples. I'm going to probably scrap this idea for now maybe use it as a art piece in another medium :) Thank Akaka!

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

If this was something you did in 10th grade, that's fairly impressive. It seems like you do have talent, so keep trying. I find that submissions that just re-appropriate old artwork aren't as successful as designs created specifically for Threadless/t-shirts.

palitosci
palitosci profile pic Alumni

hey man! 40 scored and 1.00 as average???

You didnt like anything you have seen? nothing deserver 2.00 or 3.00? Too bad

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

I find that submissions that just re-appropriate old artwork aren't as successful as designs created specifically for Threadless/t-shirts.

So true. It's better to start out thinking of T-shirts and what people like to wear.

There's a market for weird and even sexual, but it's more difficult to get right. Maybe look at someone like sweet&sour http://www.threadless.com/product/3277/Dawn_of_the_Centerfold whose stuff is weird but still suits the T-shirt as a medium (for example flat colours -> easy to print). Good luck :)

Worrellwide

I appreciate the help Everyone

Palitosci a lot of the ones I judged were my competetors. Or who I thought Id be running against.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
Worrellwide said:

Palitosci a lot of the ones I judged were my competetors. Or who I thought Id be running against.

Don't vote like that. It's not going to help you at all.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Worrellwide said:

what what?!?!? so you think that's a valid reason to score them 1?!? That's not what Threadless is about or how it works and people who vote like that are the scourge of this community. Oh man, good luck, you just opened an absolute shit can of worms.

hellofromthemoon
hellofromthemoon profile pic Alumni

If you made this one in tenth grade I almost want to say you should just scrap it and start a new design from scratch. It's great for tenth grade art, but I personally don't use anything more than a year old, since I was so much worse / less practiced at art in the past. But that is just what I would do :)

hellofromthemoon
hellofromthemoon profile pic Alumni

Also, the scoring. Threadless prints a whole ton of shirts, and a lot of them are great designs that didn't score all that highly for whatever reason. If the shirt is mindblowingly awesome, then Threadless will probably print it, regardless of whether or not you try to bring down the average score by giving it a 1.

So all in all it's just better to be civilized about scoring and use it to show artists how you honestly feel about their work. I guarantee that intentionally downvoting other designs won't make your designs print any faster.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni
  1. on the art side, yes, what everyone said - start clean and make a concept with Threadless in mind. Don't get too weird, it won't go over well. this place can take a lot of creativity, but it has its limits. Primarily anything that doesn't clearly communicate a recognizable concept with the viewer had better be darned beautiful if you want a decent score.

2. scoring other artwork 1 to give yourself a better chance is pretty much the worst thing you can do here. We are a community, and we support each other. You get what you give. So if people see your voting average and realise you downvote on purpose, they are likely to do the same to you. The right thing to do is to give high scores and comments to those pieces you think are really good, even if they are running in direct competition to yours. Being a jerk to other people isn't going to help you win, because Threadless does not choose prints based on score alone.

Outlaw01

Only I can put nipples on designs. It's in the Threadless ToS.

But seriously;

Stronger concept. More identifiable context. Tighter craftsmanship. Then try for your first sub.

QuietCity
QuietCity profile pic Alumni
Worrellwide said:

taz-pie

Aww man. Fuck you for scoring like that. What an asshole.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
Worrellwide said:

Worrellwide

Okay Sorry! Really, I'm sorry everyone. I wasn't aware. I see the error of my ways. But thank you to all who let me know. I won't judge so negatively from now on.

I cant focus on what I'm typing because of the gif thats blinking in front of me.

Taryn2022

I like the style of the drawing, but I would change the content. Boobs are great and all, but if they are supposed to be eyes then I would change them to look a bit more realistic. Perhaps try different styles of human eyes mixed with animal flares? For the tongue flute, I like the idea, but maybe make the tons mold into more of a flute shape?

Just my 5 cents :D

somepeople callme_earl
BeanePod said:

Sometimes I too play my tongue flute while sitting on a rocky hillside listening to birds. But not owls....they can't carry a tune. Finches man...it's all about them Finches.

I appreciate this comment...haha!!!

No account?
Join Us