Close
One second...

What do you do on days when you feel like giving up?

I don't think I'll ever give up on threadless, I enjoy the community too much, but lately it feels like the hard work I put into my artwork doesn't always pay off, I know threadless can't print everything and wouldn't.

I know with my designs I need to work on making them look not flat which seems to be the hardest part for me. Anyways what do you do when you feel like giving up and don't want to, but feel your not going anywhere?

Watch this
Malhat06

I do something that isn't for Threadless and if that fails to reignite me, then I take a break and come back a month later. I find time away rejuvenates me and also helps me become inspired by whatever it is iv'e been doing instead.

Akaka

Mope for one day then move on.

mip1980
1 design submitted - Score now!

Hey Theo it is a major bummer to hear you are occasionally despairing but i can relate to your frustrations. A break can always be a good move but so too can looking at styles you like and having a go at trying to replicate that piece of art, it is amazing how many skills and techniques you can master through the art of re-creation.

Drop me an email if you ever need anything as i would love to help you to develop as i really dig your style, i know i am no rembrandt but i am always here if u need a chat

TheInfamousBaka

I know how you feel, Theo, and it's hard not to get bummed out sometimes.

I've only been doing blog challenges for the most part and that really helps. Do something else, try some other sites, make some art for yourself. There's nothing wrong with taking a break from Threadless once in a while. Being rejected over and over again is not good for the ego, so sometimes a break is necessary.

osaze

hey theo,i understand how you feel. it happens to me alot. for me,i take a look at what others have done then try and recreate. i learnt a great deal from alexmdc's illustrations and then i try and fuse in some of those his strokes and details in my design.

goliath72

I agree a break away was good and came back wanting it more snd coming up with more ideas.hope this helps

dnice25

masturbate for 10 hours straight

soloyo-collabs

Walk away for a few days then come back with fresh ideas

osaze
soloyo said:

Walk away for a few days then come back with fresh ideas

so true. and in addition,listen to peoples critiques, they really do help. and dont be in a hurry to sub your art,take your time with it. drawing from nature and books help too(its not easy but it pays off at the end of the day)

Wharton

Hey Theo. I think everyone can relate to what you're feeling right now, we've all been there and you're not alone. Its good to step back and take stock of things.

If you're feeling in a rut then the best thing to do is to do something entirely different and liberating to break the cycle. Whether thats robbing a bank, doing acts of random kindness or drawing something in a completely different style with nothing to do with T'less, the important thing is to do something different. You can only bang your head against a wall for so long before you realise there are easier methods of getting past it.

You've come a long way and you still have a little ways to go before you're firing on all cylinders. But have an aim or goal to shoot for, something to focus on.

dnice25

You have to look for inspiration dude. Sometimes I just page through tumblr to find inspiration or take a look at a juxtapoz mgazine and I find some really cool ideas that I feel I could re-interpret. This normally provides inspiration and lights a fire under my ass to start creating. Sometimes it's good just to step outside your comfort zone and do something in a style that's experimental. If you explore working in various styles you can play frankenstein with them and create work that excites you.

Theo86

Thanks for the great tips everyone, I am feeling a bit better now about where my I am at. I think I should take a couple days off and stay away from threadless and come back with some ideas and maybe try out some different styles.

mip1980 said:

Hey Theo it is a major bummer to hear you are occasionally despairing but i can relate to your frustrations. A break can always be a good move but so too can looking at styles you like and having a go at trying to replicate that piece of art, it is amazing how many skills and techniques you can master through the art of re-creation.

Drop me an email if you ever need anything as i would love to help you to develop as i really dig your style, i know i am no rembrandt but i am always here if u need a chat

thanks mip, I lost your email mind posting it in here?

amaara

I usually just give up, temporarily.

I do something completely different...or just watch an entire tv series in a day lol do something new, or an activity that you already know you enjoy.

In the few months I've been here, you've always stood out as being tenacious and so able to take a critique and better yourself and those are definitely things I admire. Things worth doing always require hard work and determination and you already have that!

from my own experience and disappointments, it really does help to always stay positive. Never let self-doubt and other peoples doubts change your mood or your outlook. Its not easy, and I always lapse for a moment, but the second I assure myself, good things always start happening.

With regards to bettering your work, something that has helped me get a lot better recently in both my painting and design work is studying art and other peoples work (like dnice said, tumblr is great for that!) I watch videos like crazy to see how other people do things, and then try to integrate tricks and so on into my own workflow. With regards to your work being flat, get a lamp, and some objects, and try drawing them with the shadows. Understanding how light works and falls will help so much! (I can def help you with this, although it would be from a painting perspective)

I'm not so super talented either, and really new at this, but if you ever need help with anything or positive vibes cus I'm totally full of that lol, you can hit me up with an email as well if you'd like :)

johnnysPeter

Hey Theo I feel the same way a lot, I love art and design so much and put a lot of time and effort into my stuff and to see it go no where fast is frustrating. For example on my last sub Santa Claws I got a final score of 1.90... again 1.90 this really upset me made me feel like crap. But There's always the next design and always tomorrow. That's whats so great about us artists, we are creators so we always have another even better idea than the last to try and better ourselves and our art and designs. I love ur stuff and its only a matter of time before ur printed. :)

biotwist

I give up on days I fee like giving up

38 Sunsets

Hi Theo, if you are using one type of tools to design your illustration, go for something radically different/opposite. You are going to discover new things and that will bring you new power!

few simple ideas to try something different:

If you are looking for more textures in your illustrations, try to color them using for example watercolors, with some grainy paper. and use your fingers to paint! you'll feel the paint and the structure of the paper.

Want less flat effect in your illustrations, take a breath and analyze how the light is modeling objects! Use a torch to for example illuminate an orange with different angles and distances - then make a photo of each different illumination. imagine how you can reproduce the light modeling in your illustrations.

Simple exercise: draw a circle... looks flat, right?. step 2: give that circle the look of the ball (you have now some photos with differently illuminated oranges ;) that will serve you as real examples. then draw a panda made of those modeled spheres. I ensure you'll learn something good with that very simple exercise.

cheers and keep going!

rossmat8

Start a slogan contest

Thomas Orrow

I was looking through your designs and I thought that the ninja one looks very strong. Maybe you should focus on more stuff like that.

I think everybody would agree that you've shown improvement in your artwork and that everybody in the community likes you (unlike me for both counts).

Saying that, I think that some of your subs look like they could do with a complete rehaul in terms of the artwork. I would say that your moustache sub is probably the best example of that. For me, it's a great idea and you have the composition right and a lot of things going for it. It looks like your using Adobe Illustrator, maybe try out Photoshop or Flash. Alternatively use the blob brush or a pencil brush in Ai and then add simplify for smoothness.

I liked your baseball sub with Nestor very much, but I can't help but thinking that it could have benefited from a slightly more organic approach with lines of varying width or some texture perhaps. Don't give up, you will definitely get printed before me, at least you have some support. That was a kind offer from mip1980, I would definitely take him up on that chance.

Thomas Orrow

Also, to answer the question-yes, every day.

BeanePod

I have this feeling about everything I do everyday....yet, I keep trying.

radiomode

take a break. If it is something that means to you, you will come back for it. If it isn't, you will most likely see it clearer during your break.

biotwist

I have given up on voting. it causes me pain

BeanePod
biotwist said:

I have given up on voting. it causes me pain

OH MAN.....NO KIDDIN'

qswitcho

ohhhh we are all there before didnt we? hahaha...for me i will just leave it alone for a while, but hey threadless is like contest, u might not get your design printed ( i havent neither), again we are exposing ourself and exhibiting our work to some PRO's here to get the precious advice is good. read, surf,, in no time u will start to feel something lacking out, and u will get back to it, with greater works. ;) i have really lousy work before that i dont even dare to show people backthen, slowly u will be seasoned through time, like all good artist is . lol

Thomas Orrow

That's right qswitcho, that's a good attitude to have really. It's good to get your work out there and to be seen by others. Just have to hope that lots of people get to see your work.

Threadless is a good platform to gain some kind of audience of sorts.

mip1980

Hi Theo my email is micpus at hotmail dot co dot uk

Shoot me an email if you ever need to chat or if think I can help you re-ignite your spark in anyway :-)

azrael5

take a break,go out take a walk eat,sleep-and then,u are ready to start again...i dont take long breaks like 1 month...just max 1 day...get well soon :D

Goldendust

Be like me and never sub anything ever even though you totally could.

Oh wait don't do that. That's silly.

Haasbroek

Don't over-think. Don't expect anything. Don't care too much about what you are going to do next. Don't stop.

Giving up can be quite liberating.

celandinestern

oooh, what to add that hasn't been covered....

1. yep, giving up can really be liberating. Just don't do it for keepsies. If one day things aren't working, go out, eat ice cream, listen to music, sit in the park, throw pebbles into the river, whatevz. Then get back to the evil blank piece of paper and start again.

2. try radically different styles. You're too flat? Go superflat! Look through printed designs and find the flat ones - why is their flat better than yours? Analyze things you like.

3. look at the pieces you did years ago and marvel at how far you've come!

gebe
biotwist said:

I give up on days I fee like giving up

this is the wisest thing I've read in here :)

Anyways, my advice is to look for a good philosophy book, one of those who destroy all the small certainties; finding the time to reflect on things much bigger and then, from the top, look again at the problem. I'm sure it will seem very small! And it will be much easier to solve :)

Theo86
mip1980 said:

Hi Theo my email is micpus at hotmail dot co dot uk

Shoot me an email if you ever need to chat or if think I can help you re-ignite your spark in anyway :-)

Thanks mip, i'll email you later about my work. Maybe we could collab sometime to help me with some inspiration. :)

Also thanks to everyone else in this blog to helping me feel better about my work means the world to me.

BubbleHezza

Theo, You work hard and you may work hard sober, Get some stella's, sit out in the garden and sketch, dont think about sketching for threadless, just doodle, note idea's dont think too much about the execution, for a few days just fall in love with doodling, it's easy as an artist to think about money, prints and exposure. but I urge you to get some beers, a sketch pad and just chill. I remember when I wanted to draw exactly like randyotter lol, then I wanted to be the next alexmdc, It aint gonna happen overnight bro. take your time and fall in love with what you do.

Peace.

P.S Im drawing now (and yes I have a stella)

No account?