Close
One second...

T shirt critique please

Hi new to Threadless,please citique my design idea for t shirt.
Cheers!

Watch this
taz-pie

try again.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

i edited the picture into the blog for you

as for the design... i don't think the concept is very strong and it doesn't read very well as 'LOVE'.. looks more like TIXE to me

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I'm sorry but brutal honesty is often better than soft words if you want to get better. This isn't any good, even if this was illustrated perfectly, the idea wouldn't be strong enough. What are you trying to say?

First things first, have a good idea and then illustrate it well. Simples.

walsden

Thanks Jeffrey for your help and for commenting everyone much appreciated,The idea/ concept is strong enough to my mind,explained simply its about the mystery of love and how it defies logic.Your comments are perfect and part of the concept in as much as sometimes we have to look a bit closer, like love its not always clear/ obvious. I suppose its like a joke you have to explain. Its supposed to be ambiguous.

Wharton

I think we all got what you were driving at, theres not some great Scooby-doo mystery going on here. The idea in its essence isn't particularly good (I know that you are heaping a few grand philosophical musings onto it, but I think very few other people would). The symbols are inconsistent with one another (or perhaps thats the inherent idiosyncrasies of life), the word 'love' is barely distinguishable (or perhaps thats the quintessence or love itself, the unable questioning heart), the 'design' looks stretched and I'm not sure why the multiply symbol is red (or perhaps that is the great mystery of life).

I think its easy to apply grand ideas to simple things, the truth is that this idea doesn't have legs. I'm obviously being quite flippant here, but if you're asking for a critique and then dismissing al of it, it does somewhat defeat the purpose of asking in the first place.

walsden

Thanks wharton dont think i dismissed what you said,thought i said your comments are perfect and thankyou ?just personally think the idea has some legs and wish to defend it. Do you speak for everyone one on the site? as it appeared from other comments that it wasnt understood,you did also pose the question what are you saying? My understanding of the word concept is an " abstract idea " and as concept seems to be integral to the submission criteria I thought i would state it clearly. Not trying to be a smart arse I am new to the site and am trying to follow the game, excuse the philiosophical aspect I am old.Multiply symbol in red to look like a kiss mwah x

Wharton

Don't take my word for it, submit it and let the voters decide. The integral part of being a good artist is to be self critical and evaluate your own work with a realistic eye, theres no way of improving without it. You asked for opinions and I gave you mine, but it also looks like everyone else that commented gave you the same advice, 100% of your feedback has been 'this idea is no good', take it or leave it.

ourgraphicfaith

If you feel this is a strong concept, go ahead and sub it and see what the community thinks, AFTER Threadless approves it for voting. As for my personal opinion, the theme is good in words and I feel it needs more ''work'' in the art sense.

walsden

Thanks Wharton genuinely appreciate your comments in fairness there are only 3 other comments and i have just received a favourable/constructive one one thanks "ourgraphic faith".I understand from the website that there are 2 million other possible opinions so I will wait a little longer.excuse my ignorance but what does MARSHALL mean/ indicate on your avitar.Am i to keep you sweet? chocolates, flowers ,pizza,sexual favours etc ?

littlem

I agree with jeffreyg on the tixe part and I agree with Wharton on the making it more complicated than perhaps the voters would be willing to delve into. But I think your heart is in the right place. But it's like trying to make a marriage counseling session into a design: sometimes it just doesn't seem like it's going to translate well. Good luck though!

walsden

Thanks littlem,much appreciated,back to the drawing board by the looks of it. Cheers!

tsakman

Hey bro,

i am trying to see what you have in mind and i took the time to understand it. I think by taking time and really try to, kind of process it, i think your idea is legit but the execution needs more thinking.

The first L in love is a quarter of a + sign, right ? The O is the upper dot of the % sign The V its the upper half part of the X sign and the = is the most obvious for me....

So why dont you try and imagine them a little bit, with another design, like making them a reflection in a mirror/lake or something like a mirroring surface, so you can tell more easy the letters from the math signs...

If you want any further help, i am there for you buddy... If you are having difficulty on the designing proccess, maybe me or someone else canhelp you and make this a collab...

walsden

hey tsakman,thanks for your suggestions and encouragement much appreciated! Its either funny or ironic but the original concept and design are just that ie a reflected image. Beginning to think i should have posted that instead.The symbols are supposed to be mathematical ie plus ,divide,multiply ,equals.But i can see from the comments that I could have made them better and more clear.Thanks for the offer of help and collab,I think i will put the other design up for crit and see what happens with that.

gydnew

Hi walsden,

I would first really recommend that you look through the shirts that Threadless sells. Most of the work is focused on artistic visuals - drawings people have either made on a computer or made with traditional media and digitized. What makes them interesting is the unique artistic style from each artist.

Your image could have been made by anyone because it is merely a row of common symbols. What makes it yours? How is it distinguishable from one I make? Play with the concept, the fonts, add drawings - do more to make it yours and make it artistic, make it interesting.

Second, you have asked for a critique of your image. The purpose of a critique is to provided honest, critical feedback. When people provide the feedback you need to be open to what people are saying. Many of your responses are very defensive. A critique is not an attack on you as a person, it's purpose is to help you move in the right direction. If you don't want to hear what people have to say, don't ask for a critique. You can submit it directly to Threadless without going through this first. But, if you ask for a critique, expect to get brutal honesty. Many of the people submitting on this site do design and illustration as a profession. They are not going to give you a pat on the back because you created a clever concept.

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I didn't see "LOVE" here at all, actually. Until I read the comments, I thought it was just math symbols.

If you feel strongly about the concept, maybe try putting a finer point on "L-O-V-E" parts of each symbol by applying color to separate them.

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

I disagree with the above comment, though, I think you've been very receptive to criticism here while still defending a concept that you seem to believe in.

littlem

I agree with foodstampsdavis that you've been receiving the comments well, while trying to explain the concept behind your design. Good for you!

walsden

Hi Thanks everyone,i have been round the artistic block too many times to get upset or take others opinions personally.I also always find it unhelpful to make general assumtions about people,and ideas.I am however a complete novice t shirt designer and new to photoshop. I am very willing to learn.All of the comments have been helpful,certainly in understanding how this particular game is played..THANKS FOODSTAMP!

gydnew

I'm sorry if my comments come across as condescending, that was not my intention. The thing is just that if you've been doing this for a while then you know your image has to stand on its own without explanation. This is a visual medium.

I'm new to Threadless myself. For my own work I've been submitting designs from illustrations I've created in the past. The problem I've encountered is that while I know what I think is funny, interesting, or is my message, it does not translate to the mass audience. I need to figure out a way to communicate my ideas in a way that has a broader appeal while still working in my personal visual style.

I guess what I'm saying is that if you have to explain your concept then it needs adjusting. Exercising our creativity the fun and frustration of creating. :D

walsden

Hi Gydnew,no need to apologise its all "grist for the mill" as me old mum used to say,she also used to say" have you been stealing money out of my purse again you little bleeder"Joking aside. I absolutely agree with your sentiments on" learning to communicate an idea" I know this is the best palce to learn I can see that from the standards but you did say most and not all of the designs in the shop and i am trying to sniff my place out.Its all a new experience and i am looking to make some friends and enjoy my time here.Thanks for taking the time to write.Looked at your stuff and scored it hope it helps

No account?
Join Us