Close
One second...

Why would someone score it "1" ?

Why would someone score it "1" ?
I had very good coments on this design and many people commented on it with a very very positive feedback.
But when i saw the final scores after the 7 day period, there were 172 fives and 185 ones.
What is the reason for someone to give me a "one" ?

http://www.threadless.com/threadless/in-the-beginning-2/

Watch this
osaze

hahahahaha. thats the way threadless is. there are people that just down vote other peoples subs cause they think it will give their design a better chance of printing. even all of time and space the highest score for a design on threadless had 143 ones. you just have to deal with. as long as you have a very great design,it doesnt matter how many ones. it will be printed.

osaze
Normero said:

tbh I find the final score way too high.

seriously speaking thats true though. you should be jumping for joy for the final score rather than complainig about the ones. ive seen a lot of great designs not reaching up to 2.5 avg

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Yeah, I'd give this a 2. The reason why I wouldn't give it a 3 is because I would hope that the lower score would encourage you to maybe work hard to take it to the next level. If I thought it was as good as it absolutely could be, I'd give it a 3, no higher.

Since it doesn't deserve a 1, it's obvious that a lot of them were downvotes.

taz-pie

i would have scored that a 1. it is not visually appealing, has no meaning, is not creative and i would never wear it. i am free to vote however i like.

tsakman

I appreciate your honesty guys.

taz-pie said:

i would have scored that a 1. it is not visually appealing, has no meaning, is not creative and i would never wear it. i am free to vote however i like.

I am glad that someone would say this, and i agree that from a visual/creative appeal it is modest. I would dissagree in the no meaning thing. Did you ever think that the only reason that you didn't get the meaning is that you didnot now what an atari was, or why is says in the beginning? This is not a matter of subjective perception but objective knowledge of the concept... Feel free to criticize and conversate, i really appreciete that,,,

El-Be

I can't remember what I gave this, but I didn't score it highly. There are many different people with many different tastes here, some of those ones will be the usual downvotes, others will be genuine opinions. I think you should be jumping for joy about a 3.02 average for this design.

edoran

I actually find it pretty humorous, but maybe you have to be a certain age to see the humour. Or maybe those who think it's meaningless had colecovision first :) I think it might've looked better with just the joystick and still been recognizable as atari, but I don't think that necessitated the number of ones you saw.

I wonder if some people voted one because they thought the biblical reference was inappropriate? Or maybe, on threadless, things aren't cool unless they're anthropomorphized.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

Even if you know the reference that doesn't guarantee that you find it funny.

I wonder if some people voted one because they thought the biblical reference was inappropriate?

To me, religious quotes are not inappropriate but they are kind of a turn-off. I don't see myself wearing shirts with biblical quotes on them, whether it's serious or humorous.

I don't hate the design by any means, but to me it's just not very exciting or something I would wear. Good score though so congrats.

[+duracell-]

its boring, inaccurate and slightly offensive

id give it about a.. mmmmm.. 1.2, but threadless only allows whole number scoring so id probably just skip it

Amos-the-hermit

hehe, yea I remember this one. Great idea. I'm Christian and don't find the idea offensive, but among many people in my town I'm one of those "liberals" that don't mind a bit of humor :)

Maybe some added flair would help. Personally I may have played around with some ideas like having the hand of God placing a cartridge in, or have the the elements in swirling around to form the Atari as if it was a planet, etc. Overall though, I still think the composition was fine. The text doesn't overpower the game system and you have some balance.

tsakman

A ton of thanks guys this is really helpfull stuff here... I see many many variations of opinions here.

[+duracell-] said:

its boring, inaccurate and slightly offensive

[+duracell-] can you explain inaccurate ?
Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I scored this a 1. I know what an Atari is too. The illustration is too straight, with little personality. The concept, which is weak, isn't very interesting. It's not visually engaging or mentally stimulating. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, just honest so you can move forward. You did get good comments, but if you we're being honest a fair few of those seem to be friends of yours.

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

Might have made more sense using a Magnavox Odyssey (first console) ...or even the Sega "Genesis" ...because, well, you're joke is about the genesis of console gaming

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

The type also rubs me wrongly.

If you must include text on your shirt design, do it as best you can, ..draw it by hand, and take all parts of it into consideration, ..things like line spacing, kerning, relationship to imagery, colour, subtlety, leading, distraction, size, ...every one of these need to be close to perfect, or better yet, perfect, to do well in scoring at Threadless.

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

yeah i missed scoring it but i'd give this a 1 for the same reasonz above

no offense

[+duracell-]

mrp gets it. The 2600 wasn't the first. I saw you said "one of the first" in your opening post.. but that description doesn't translate to the shirt design.

tsakman
Wharton said:

I scored this a 1. I know what an Atari is too. The illustration is too straight, with little personality. The concept, which is weak, isn't very interesting. It's not visually engaging or mentally stimulating. I'm not trying to be an a-hole, just honest so you can move forward. You did get good comments, but if you we're being honest a fair few of those seem to be friends of yours.

Thanks 4 sharing, i didn't plan on extreme visual elements. I wanted it to be simple and modest. The concept was honoring a console that was long gone and has many memories. Based on this i dissagree that the concept is week, on the contrary. Intresting only for those that relate to this era and they are a bit geeky like myself... :)

[+duracell-] said:

mrp gets it. The 2600 wasn't the first. I saw you said "one of the first" in your opening post.. but that description doesn't translate to the shirt design.

I understand what you are saying. Wherei live, this actually was the first thing that we knew as a home console, and the title "in the beginning" does not exclude everything other than the first console ever made, but includes the beginning era of consoles ever made. That is my understanding on this.

And thank you, is good to know that even though i have a point of view in things like this, other people have knowledge and other viewpoints than mine, that really help me move towards a better direction...

Thanks a lot guys, you are really helpful

Wharton

Ugh, you're waterproof to feedback, theres no point trying to give you any criticism, you're too convinced by your own work to have a constructive dialogue with.

Zai Alam

My advise is that you shouldn't be focussing too much about all the 1's received for this design, and instead be grateful for somehow achieving a pretty good final score.

I have seen much better design submissions by people - both in terms of concept and illustration style that ended with a lower average score than this design.

Don't focus on scores too much and instead accept critique, and develop and better yourself as a designer/illustrator with future submissions.

tsakman
Wharton said:

Ugh, you're waterproof to feedback, theres no point trying to give you any criticism, you're too convinced by your own work to have a constructive dialogue with.

Well i really like your critisism very much, and understood all of your points. Its not that i dont accept them, i do, i really do... In my turn i explain my way of thinking on this, and this is what i call a dialogue. Comparing the way of thinking of different people. If i didn't reply with my point of view it would hardly be any dialogue. I am trying to challenge my skills by offering my thoughts on this guys, so you can change them, not by just a simple critique, but for a deeper understanding about the differences... Dissagreeing on a level really challenges the way our society thinks and that is why it evolves, and its the same thing i want to achieve here... Wharton, thank you for your point, i really want to push, to become better and better, i really appreciate it... Thanks a lot guys...

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

3.02. Are you kidding? This is an insult to 3.02's everywhere.

Not to play Threadless veteran, but on the old site you would be getting 0's instead of 1's. It took me several designs to get a 3 on the old site. You should really look at this as a 2.02 Because you will have to do much better to earn a real 3.

kazualtee

Yeah every design you do will get a good amount of ones. When doing designs where everyone won't get the concept you'll get more. Good start though!

edoran
ibyes said:

Not to play Threadless veteran, but on the old site you would be getting 0's instead of 1's. It took me several designs to get a 3 on the old site. You should really look at this as a 2.02 Because you will have to do much better to earn a real 3.

Back in my day we didn't have shoes! We had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow with gale force winds in our faces. And our underwear was made of burlap. And we considered ourselves fortunate that it wasn't made of barbed wire. And we couldn't afford immunizations, so we all died. But we still had to plow the fields.

I kid, I kid.

Wharton
tsakman said:
Wharton said:

Thanks 4 sharing, i didn't plan on extreme visual elements. I wanted it to be simple and modest. The concept was honoring a console that was long gone and has many memories. Based on this i dissagree that the concept is week, on the contrary. Intresting only for those that relate to this era and they are a bit geeky like myself... :)

I wasn't suggesting 'extreme' visual elements, I was suggesting that your illustration have something more than the look of flat vector and no personality, personality goes a long way. I wouldn't call it modest either, its just a photo by the looks of it with a filter. The concept is weak, because there isn't one, you've live traced a photo of an atari and added some stock text, adding some small and inaccurate text to a filtered photo isn't a concept its a process. A concept for this would have been an atari at the beginning of an evolutionary process developing into a PS3 or something, that is a concept, what you have is a lazy idea. You asked why your design received so many ones and I'm telling you why, after being here for over 3 years (and you being here for 3 weeks) I probably have a slightly better handle on what does and doesn't work here.

Zai Alam
edoran said:
ibyes said:

Back in my day we didn't have shoes! We had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow with gale force winds in our faces. And our underwear was made of burlap. And we considered ourselves fortunate that it wasn't made of barbed wire. And we couldn't afford immunizations, so we all died. But we still had to plow the fields.

I kid, I kid.

haha, brilliant!

Wharton

I wasn't suggesting 'extreme' visual elements, I was suggesting that your illustration have something more than the look of flat vector and no personality, personality goes a long way. I wouldn't call it modest either, its just a photo by the looks of it with a filter. The concept is weak, because there isn't one, you've live traced a photo of an atari and added some stock text, adding some small and inaccurate text to a filtered photo isn't a concept its a process. A concept for this would have been an atari at the beginning of an evolutionary process developing into a PS3 or something, that is a concept, what you have is a lazy idea. You asked why your design received so many ones and I'm telling you why, after being here for over 3 years (and you being here for 3 weeks) I probably have a slightly better handle on what does and doesn't work here.

tsakman

Thanks Wharton... i see your point of view... You like the artist to be much more involved in the design, so you can consider it a better concept / idea. When i used to design t-shirts at another website i had some other experience, and if it was something simple (or lazy as you called it), but people liked it, it generated sales. More sales, more profit for the company i was working with. I partly agree to your thinking though because i want to make something unique that is more artistic and with higher standards. Your hypothesis is not 100% accurate about my way of thinking for this simple project, but i can see why you are having this way of thinking and i appreciate your straightforwardness with your opinion and knowledge... I will keep that in mind for my next projects... Thanks a lot my friend...

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

Back in my day we didn't have shoes! We had to walk to school uphill both ways in the snow with gale force winds in our faces. And our underwear was made of burlap. And we considered ourselves fortunate that it wasn't made of barbed wire. And we couldn't afford immunizations, so we all died. But we still had to plow the fields I kid, I kid.

Very cute. It still doesn't change the fact that you don't deserve such a good score for such lackluster work. And again I see you arguing the merits of this design with Wharton.

The concept is weak, it's not visual pleasing. It's obvious that votes from your friends inflated the score and amount of votes. The question you should be asking is "Why would anyone score this more then a 1"

tsakman

I wanted to count my firends that scored me so i told'em to leave a message... Strange thing is that i haven't counted more than 10, max 15...

If it would get a score more than one, then it would't be cause of the visual elements nor the stimulating conception, but the emotional connection to the object. Mainly i have found out in sales that, this is why people buy... And that was my target, for me to be emotionaly connected to my design, but as i can see, people here want something more than that to respect a design. And for the time i designed this concept, that was not my goal... Lets see what happens with my next designs... This should be interesting...

No account?
Join Us