Scoring Wankery (©TAZ)

Sometimes you see a lot of comments on a design from names you've never seen before. When clicking on these you'll see how long they've been a member for, and their average score. They'll have a recent sign up date, scoring average of 1 and they'll have scored a couple of hundred designs.

That's wankery!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni

ohhh he made the "frigid flame" one that I saw at the top of oxymoron contest. I knew something weird was going on cause it isn't very good. Also, the clark kitten one, he even forgot to color in some spots yellow on the emblem...wtf?

Is he using one of those sites to get votes?

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni

I'm thinking that his tactics are totally inefficient, that sneaky fella is more than unlikely to print anytime soon (or later)

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

I know scores are arbitrary, but this makes a bit of a mockery of the system, and I never really remember this happening much on the old website.

quick-brown-fox

And some of the comments on those design comments from people such as this:

JoJo40 JoJo40 has scored 398 submissions, giving an average score of 1.00, helping 0 designs get printed.

v_calahan

Yep saw that. True enough about it less happening in the past… But to quote Charlie Brown "I guess the weakness of the system lies within it's strength". Not sure there is much that can be done as far as programming is concerned. The multiplicity of challenges, especially the big brands, Disney, Marvel etc. are bringing in loads of new voters and contenders that don't give much of a shit about designing, fairness etc but are quite effective when it comes to networking. I think that's what's affecting scores more and more.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

Downvoters were out in droves for the black and white challenge, I got 339 ones on my one submission.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

ugh, this irks me. not because i think his attempts to circumnavigate legitimate voting will end successfully, but because it does make an absolute mockery of the system.

taz-pie

links for the lazy?

taz-pie

no man. people suck.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni
taz-pie said:

links for the lazy?

hehehehehe

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Ohhhh... I didn't even notice it was the same dude whose design just happened to be only one in the B&W contest to finish above 3. Fuck him in that case.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

Really hope this guy doesn't end up winning anything.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
TheInfamousBaka said:

Cheaters never win and winners never cheat...or some shit like that

quick-brown-fox

I just wonder how it's effecting scores. I had two black and white designs go up very close together, one of them received 400 more votes than the other and about 140 more ones.

Jesus, think of all the time it would take to do all of that up/down voting, registering new accounts etc.

pweye
pweye profile pic Alumni

Commenting on your own designs using identities that you use to down vote other peoples designs is just LOW. Very very sad. It's also a bit of a give away!

v_calahan

Also sad to think someone could spare so much time with no tangible result in the end, cause he ain't winning in the end… a Sith Lord with a low IQ…

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I didn't bother following how my sub was doing compared to the others in the B&W contest, but I did check for new comments once in a while. A ratio of 1 comment to 10 votes is a sign of a decent score these days I think, and it was going like that for about 400 votes. Then suddenly there were 100+ votes without a single comment and that's always a bad sign.

Then I remembered how I don't care about scores anymore!

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni

I really am angry about this. There are so many people on here that put so much time and effort into what they do and into this site. People sharing opinions, critiques and trying to help improve others but there is always a few rotten apples that spoil the fun. I know there isn't much that can be done about it but I just want those people to know it won't work. I want them to know we know what they are doing.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

It's also sad when they might actually have the talent to eventually make it fair and square, and they just want it NOW and ruin their own chances by being cheating little shits.

ourgraphicfaith
ourgraphicfaith profile pic Alumni

WOW. It's quite like that movie. Now You See Me.

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

I don't understand why threadless doesn't say that from now on, only people who have purchased shirts, got printed or have been built up a certain amount of points by posting in the forums etc are the only ones allowed to vote. The system does have a massive floor to it and I know that the threadstaff can always tell the cheats from the creatives but it is very disheartening to see your design finish with so many ones.

Cheats will always be here and they will never prosper but there needs to be a new voting system. I vote on every design and i have lots and lots of shirts that i have bought even before my win, so that qualifies me to decide on what i think is a good design or not. People who flood the system in order to try and claim the cash will never actually buy a shirt from threadless, so why allow this to actually happen?

mathiole
mathiole profile pic Alumni

One of the main reasons i stop being a threadless assiduous member since the new layout came are is this f*king new users that not only cheats the rating system but also downvote everything except their designs. Obviously threadless is aware of those people, but that's not the point. As a design community, it's cool to see how acceptable your design was, how much did people liked/ approved what you did, and most of that is given by the score. My last experience was with the B&W contest, and it was lame. I kinda liked what i did, but you don't see people commenting and sharing opinions anymore. It seems that the majority of people voting are only friends or fake friends of someone that spends more time with promotion than designing. I just don't feel it's cool to sub anymore...To me, the only thing that differed threadless from other competition sites was the community, but today...not so much =/

If things like this keeps happening i'll probably stop submitting...I love threadless and i owe my career to them, but something change, and i don't feel it was for good, at least not for us designers

TheArtistDude

Recently I've seen some great artists work get swamped away with other designs that you'd swear were made by a 3 year old.

cuttybage

Yeah, i'm really bummed on the amount of people that just downvote designs that are ranked higher than theirs. I'm brand new to threadless, are the threadless staff able to take this into account or anything? In the first few days, my design was one of the highest ranked in the B&W challenge, then it just got downvoted into oblivion. Judging by the amount of 1's I got, you'd think I had no business making art. (said design: http://www.threadless.com/blackandwhite/nobodys-pet/ ) It sucks for the community.

hobigambar

It's make me fell very very miss the old website.

unaifg

I think we should find him and give him a hug. He NEEDS it.

taz-pie

Attention Threadstaff!!!! Please comment on this.

Malhat06
Malhat06 profile pic Alumni
quick-brown-fox said:

He can vote his up as much as he wants, but at least stop down voting so I can gauge how shit my designs are.

Agreed. I really don't care how many of their friends come and vote them 5. Threadless want you to get your friends involved.

Downvoting sucks. No need to do it if all your friends have given you 5's.

ivanrodero
ivanrodero profile pic Alumni

Make a only people who had bought a T-shirt can vote rule.

Yo can still cheat but it's going to cost you.

joe.annabi

It's absolute BS that kwince still has an account. Of course those crap designs aren't getting printed, but shouldn't there be consequences for being so disruptive? Like Cutty said, it can bury legit designs so no one even gets to see them, and take good work out of the running completely. I support the idea of only purchasers or designers who've been printed being able to vote. I haven't bought or submitted ddesigns since I've registered this account, but I've surely bought many designs in yhe past and surely will continue to, but submitting in this atmosphere of cheating without consequences sounds depressing.

johnnyspeter

Lol, i find it hilarious how he comments on his own designs with his fake accounts. Its such a shitty thing to do, this kid must not have a life at all. Just creating new accounts and scoring and commenting on his own designs highly and scoring everyone elses with ones .

OneAngryBear

This is pretty shitty indeed...wait but what if all of you are also fake accounts leading the real accounts on a trail away from other fake accounts! I just can't trust anybody anymore. lol. DAMN YOU KWINCE!!

OneAngryBear

This is pretty shitty indeed...wait but what if all of you are also fake accounts leading the real accounts on a trail away from other fake accounts! I just can't trust anybody anymore. lol. DAMN YOU KWINCE!!

TheArtistDude
mechanicalrobotpower said:

It could all just be..... ...a Kwince-edence.

##YEEEEEAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH!!!

WONT GET FOOLED AGAIN!

johnnyspeter

All of his designs have the same FAKE people commenting on them and they are fake accounts with no pictures. And than if u go to Kwinces profile u can see that he hasn't commented on shit, EVER. Never on anyone's designs never in the forum or blogs, NOTHING besides commenting on his own designs. Pretty easy to spot this cheater

Dan Yingling
TheInfamousBaka said:

He won't.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us