Close
One second...

So many one-s in Digital Defender competition

This is about my submission here:
http://www.threadless.com/digitaldefenders/my-pixel-companion/

This design was for Digital Defender contest, which ended just recently. Here is how the submission ranked according to score:
http://www.threadless.com/digitaldefenders/submissions/?status=closed&sort=popular&page=1

Only ONE design in the contest has more 5 than 1, which is this design:
http://www.threadless.com/digitaldefenders/lights-from-defenders/

The top scoring design was submitted on May 29 and has only 660 votes. My design was submitted on June 4 and has 753 votes, with 30% them giving me 1's. It is WAY too obvious something happened in the contest: The high number of votes despite no voting incentive was given by Threadless. There are 95 submission and all 94 submissions have too much zero.

I feel .....

Watch this
ourgraphicfaith

It is not just this contest...hell its happening everywhere on this site. Its gone viral...down voting is the new rule. Sad. So sad that once a very supportive community has become grounded with mediocre newbies who dont know what to do.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I know... the top scoring design is horrible. I bet a bunch of her friends went around giving 1s to everything else. There I said it.

shesmatilda
shesmatilda profile pic Alumni

i got that same status on my submissions too.. like it's being murdered on votes..... there must be something wrong and i don't know what it would be....

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I think the score game becomes a lot more complex nowdays

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

I am officially giving up on Challenges, they are soul destroying with all the petty down voting. I have already informed goliath that I shall be doing threadless designs only from now on, plus no one really bothers to follow the rules on some challenges as well

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

Wow i can't believe how utterly turd that top design is, it looks like a spec work logo

gabras
Morkki said:

I know... the top scoring design is horrible. I bet a bunch of her friends went around giving 1s to everything else. There I said it.

I endorse this

radiomode
1 design submitted -

The time spent creating those multiple accounts are better used for learning to make better illustration. What a waste.

El-Be

I WAS tempted to have a go at the challenges, but I don't think it's worth it if they just attract idiots and their down voting friends. It's a shame.

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

1's are the new 3's.

It's unfortunate that it is such a negative and draining thing, ..It causes less participation, and brings waves of J-holes along with it.

Should bring back the zero, and it secretly just wastes that persons vote. ...and sends a fart into their house.

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

I haven't been participating in challenges lately, didn't know things were this bad. I did notice one entry in the regular comp last week that didn't seen like it should have consistently been on the first page. It was just a photo of a landscape with a colour effect slapped on it. I checked the stats later and it got a 3.7 and I was like, okay, cheater. (If I'm wrong I apologize for being a jerk. Maybe they just have a lot of friends/fans, right?)

Didn't these things used to be more rare?

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni
mip1980 said:

Wow i can't believe how utterly turd that top design is, it looks like a spec work logo

Somebody got to say it...

Radiomode, don't worry about it so much. There are 4, maybe 5 contenders in this whole challenge, and your design is DEFINITELY one of them. You know that, we know that, Threadless knows that. It really comes down to what kind of tee Thorn are looking for now.

gabras
melmike said:
mip1980 said:

Radiomode, don't worry about it so much. There are 4, maybe 5 contenders in this whole challenge, and your design is DEFINITELY one of them. You know that, we know that, Threadless knows that. It really comes down to what kind of tee Thorn are looking for now.

Yes, is only a little shame, but nothing about wounded self-esteem, we all know the real value of all that 1's! :) Be proud of your work, is really good,sure as hell

biernatt
biernatt profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -
melmike said:
mip1980 said:

^^ I fully agree ^^

There are obviously some people hiring army of "friends" to downvote other people's designs. Well, fuck 'em! Do your work, do it well, progress, enjoy the process and that's your gain right there! And I'm sure fame and fortune will follow too ;)

And as a postscript here is my design for digital defenders challenge - I didn't sub it for obvious reason not being a HOPEFUL design (somehow I missed the word "hopeful" while reading the challenge description :D ) - but I guess it slightly resonates with the discussion here about who's behind all those avatars ... ;)

cheers

shesmatilda
shesmatilda profile pic Alumni

how sad looking at the scoring =( ... hope it gets better next week ... I know threadless knows what's good and bad designs are, so if ever the score get's low because of some voodoo on voters, they'll pick up what's still worth.

unaifg

Here's an example of that design's voters:

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Yeah that top design is a piece of crap. Conceptually and in terms of execution this is a school kids art project. Deeper than this challenge I wonder how some people can be so self deluded with their own work. Part and parcel of being a creative is being self critical and honest and surrounding yourself with people that don't pat you on the pack everytime you scribble something out. Its not healthy for your creative development and certainly isn't healthy for other creatives that you come in to contact with. Our industry is so undervalued because any old idiot can pick up a pencil and claim to be an artist.

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

I gave two designs of that competition a five, yours was one of them. I think the overall quality of that challenge was quite low. Also, what everyone else said.

Octo Gon

Most of my submissions are getting a disproportionate amount of ones, but in this case the whole thing is so blatantly fraudulent that it makes me wonder if it isn't maybe some sort of prank or a social experiment by a sociology major or something. Even the design has the feeling of some government official that just got artsy on his 'puter. But where are the pie charts and clip art?

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff
1 design submitted -

yeah that sucks and it happens a lot in big challenges because it's new artists that think you can win based on score only.

but in the end, the score is never the main decision for challenges.

radiomode - yours is one of my favorite for the competition btw

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

Challenges really bring out the worst in people for sure.

[+duracell-]

Why not do something like what mrp suggested? You could allow everyone to vote and have their vote count.. but behind the scenes you secretly filter out the newb-hoard downvotes or upvotes once scoring is over to reveal the 'true' score. Brings a little excitement back and confuses votards at the same time. They don't read directions after all.

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni

have you ever seen these terrible design win one of the competitions? no? then stop crying about it already:)

MudgeStudios
MudgeStudios profile pic Alumni
5 designs submitted - Score now!
alexmdc said:

yeah that sucks and it happens a lot in big challenges because it's new artists that think you can win based on score only.

but in the end, the score is never the main decision for challenges.

radiomode - yours is one of my favorite for the competition btw

Now that is an encouraging response from STAFF. I am curious as to whether getting a high number of ones or a very low number of votes actually prevents certain designs from getting in front of those that sponsor the challenge.

[+duracell-]

uh yeah actually. plenty of times.

palitosci
palitosci profile pic Alumni

136 ones :(

Malhat06
Malhat06 profile pic Alumni

The community scores your design

For 7 days, the Threadless community scores your design 1 to 5 and leaves comments. These scores and comments help us pick which designs to print. You're encouraged to promote your design to friends, family, and the rest of the Internet!

I actively get my wife and my mum to vote on my designs. They give me 5's (I hope).

Threadless wants you to get your friends and family involved and I don't mind that, like I say, my family vote on my designs. The more we talk about it and get people involved, the more potential consumers Threadless have. It makes sense for us to promote not only our own designs, but Threadless as well.

However, I think if those friends and family then started voting down all the designs around me, then that's a different thing all together and i'd be pretty annoyed about them doing that. It damages the integrity of the competition.

Ultimately, Threadless aren't stupid, they know what is good work and what isn't. It sucks that people down vote, but it's always going to happen. If they see something they like, they will print it regardless of how many 1's it got.

radiomode
1 design submitted -

Imagine if there are 2 or 3 of them in the same competition, then we will have real war of 1. That will be interesting.

NinaRain

You're so right!! I totally understand you, I posted a thread on this same subject last week. It's so annoying and stupid and pathetic. I could never ever not only vote 1 someone else's GOOD design, but asking people to do so?? It's incredible how far can selfishness can arrive. This sucks and kills the main aim of this site, which is supporting and respecting art and creativity.

Robo Rat
Robo Rat profile pic Alumni

I think having an activity log can give us some peace of mind since we can monitor each scorer's actions. Also, we can verify if they are really scoring the same score that they say in the comment section. Ex. Oh wowsie 5. Then ticks 1.

Jumpy

i was the 8th last do i win something - not that my design really captured the them best i am being trampled by some seriously ugly designs

ayukpiyuk

Wooaaaa... turn out there has been a serious war happen on this site. I also confused to see a lot of good designs have the score 1. Personally, I'd better not to give any score for those not-so-good designs (mostly), than to give them score 1.

And how surprisingly that people give a lot of score 1 (to very good designs). But I believe Threadless will find a way to solve this, 'cause this unhealthy war however will degrade the enthusiasm of creativity. :)

endoxo

Weird things.

No account?
Join Us