WIP breakfast Swanson- up for scoring- All the Bacon and Eggs

Update- Up for scoring!
http://www.threadless.com/threadless/all-the-bacon-and-eggs-2/#./?&_suid=137305521463000015360857360064983

So, I've been thinking for a while about a Swanson portrait made from actual eggs and bacon - I decided to give it a shot a couple of days ago- with the ultimate plan of giving to my husband for breakfast- by the time all was said and done, it was not that appetizing anymore. As one might imagine, eggs and bacon are not the easiest media- I changed a coupla things in phtoshop and am now at this point.

Obviously there is a lot of work left (shadow fixing,etc.), but I'm trying to figure out if it is worth it. I was super psyched until I showed my hubs this photo and he is not a fan.

Should I continue treating it as a photo, make it more digital, or just scrap the idea and be happy the dogs got the meal of the century?

I have lots of photos, including some with a fork, so there is the potential for a bunch of changes.

Watch this
ourgraphicfaith
ourgraphicfaith profile pic Alumni

There is already a ''Swanson'' themed one getting printed next week....but Holy crap! this is GOOOD! Any thoughts on making this into another character?

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Heehee... Maybe a waffle Leslie? A Ben calzone? Oh man, I could go down the rabbit hole into Parks and Rec culinary portraiture.

Yeah, I saw the sneak peek of the Swanson design right after I finished washing the egg off of my counters- I was relieved to see that they could print a Swanson likeness but bummed to that the Swanson quota could have already been met- that being said, I would gladly own multiple Swanson shirts, so maybe there's room for two?

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Made of bunch of changes... Maybe ready?

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

This is really clever! I like it, though I think it would be hard for some to make the connection. I can imagine that doing a portrait out of food is really tough.

osaze

holy shit! great job here. this must have been mighty dificult. i think you should continue treating it as a photo and maybe just add a little digital touch for shadows and maybe lighting.
again, good job here.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks! I guess I do a little more tweaking and sub it. Any thoughts on hiw I might be able to strengthen the connection? Thinking about naming it "All of the Bacon and Eggs" or "All of the Bacon and Eggs I Had." Too vague?

Working with scrambled eggs was not nearly as fun as I had hoped.

My dogs thought it was grand and they hope I do it again soon ;)

TheInfamousBaka

Maybe use egg whites to make a work shirt collar?

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

The day I made it, I actually made a folded collar from a little egg white omlet but the texture was distracting- I wish I'd thought about scrambled whites- that's a good idea! I just tried to add one- so far, I can't get the lighting to look right. Friggin eggs.

TheInfamousBaka

Also, I don't think the plate and fork are necessary. The eggs and bacon speak for themselves.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks for all of the help- i really appreciate it!

I had tried it with no plate, but I thought that the eggs didn't look instantly recognizable as eggs... Then again, I am officially suffering from egg blindness, so there's an excellent chance I'm wrong.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

I like the plate and fork for context, but I feel the actual face would benefit from being more stylized or a caricature. Considering the medium you're working with, I think it'd make the design read better.

Does Swanson eat hash browns? You could use some of those.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Shit. I think you're right, but I suck at caricature. Sigh. Gonna sleep/cuss on it.

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

More changes...

brennanpearson

Parks and Rec is definitely on of the best shows ever! Honestly, I think it's perfect as is. Those who would get the reference at all should be able to recognize it instantly. And I agree that the plate and fork add context. Maybe you could add a reference to his woodwork?

hm087ster

No but really who is this Swanson guy anyway?

brennanpearson

Ron Swanson: man's man, ladie's man, woodworker, breakfast enthusiast, Libertarian

NCowick

I'm not familiar with the show (It's on my to watch list), but awesome job with getting such a great likeness out of breakfast foods ;)

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Thanks! Ron Swanson is the best. Followed closely by Jean-Ralphio.

My husband is really into woodworking/boat building and wanted me to make a series portraits- a woodworking one, and an ammo/fishing lures one. Maybe a Duke Silver one?

Maybe I'll submit the eggs and bacon portrait on it's own and if it doesn't score well, plan on expanding the idea in the future?

TheInfamousBaka

Now that I've seen with and without the plate I agree that the plate version looks better. Love the new version!

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

lol- Thanks!

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

This is impressive! It's a strong contender for the top prize. Good luck!

Pyne
Pyne profile pic Alumni

Hoooooooooooly smokes! Thanks for the heads up! I knew it was getting around tumbler, but didn't know friggin NBC was sharing it (way to share a crappy quality version NBC, but I guess I'll forgive them- I wonder if they didn't want to link back to Threadless?).

Big ups to the folks who helped in the WIP phase!

No account?
Join Us