Close
One second...

I find your lack of faith disturbing

It's been a long time since I've been excited about an Apple product. And this is from the guy that almost proposed on stage at Macworld. I e-mailed Steve Jobs if I could, but he politely turned me down. True story.

I've used Apple computers since elementary school with the Apple IIe. I was definitely in the cult of Apple, but over the years that enthusiasm died down. With the popularity of the iPhone and iPad, I feel that the soul of Apple as a creative company is gone. Rather than focusing on great products used to create, now Apple primarily creates products used to consume content. Their products are still best-in-class, but what happened to making products that enable people to create and think different?

I won't say Apple sold out because it's always been a for-profit company, but it's long lost it's aura of being a company for the rebels and underdogs. This has restored my faith a little, though. Steve Jobs's DNA is still there. And bless you, Jony Ive. Keep carrying the torch.

Watch this
PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Are they making a new ash tray with fancy apps?

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni
[+duracell-] said:

nerd alert

Where? Where?! Oh...

El-Be

Wow, Jony Ive sure loves gradients.

azrael5

I've seen the video on engadget...looks awesome for a desktop design..phew!

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

it's like they wanted to make up for the cube, and finally sorted it out.

I am pretty stoked.

AlanBao
AlanBao profile pic Alumni

Is that for real? I don't really keep up with tech trends, but it reminds me of this.

PietroPaoloVirdis

I like the fact that the more people begin to like Apple, the more of the people who liked Apple because it was "rebel" and "cult" and whatnot begin to find flaws with Apple. It's like one of those people you sometimes come across who like a band because it's Indie, not well known, people who make it a sport finding obscure bands and listen to them years before they become mainstream, and once they do become mainstream, when their talent is appreciated by the masses, the band's shit simply because it's not as "cult" or "special" to like them anymore.

El-Be

Sometimes people just pride themselves in being "different" I guess, and then sometimes brands/bands/etc. follow the money after tasting success and genuinely "sell out" (like they weren't trying to make money in the first place).

blackhand_
AlanBao said:

Is that for real? I don't really keep up with tech trends, but it reminds me of this.

It is for real. It's their long-overdue desktop design. It can drive three 4k displays, which would cost more than a house.

PietroPaoloVirdis said:

I like the fact that the more people begin to like Apple, the more of the people who liked Apple because it was "rebel" and "cult" and whatnot begin to find flaws with Apple. It's like one of those people you sometimes come across who like a band because it's Indie, not well known, people who make it a sport finding obscure bands and listen to them years before they become mainstream, and once they do become mainstream, when their talent is appreciated by the masses, the band's shit simply because it's not as "cult" or "special" to like them anymore.

I don't begrudge Apple their success or widespread acceptance. They're a business. But their culture and focus has changed ostensibly to a consumer product company. It was in the air when the changed from Apple Computer to simply Apple.

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

i don't like most mac enthusiasts. I don't like the bullshit debate about macs and pcs and hipsters and realists.

fuck all that

I've owned every model redesign of the mac since my first mac classic in 89, they are really great computers. I like great computers.

blackhand_
nikoby said:

It's beautiful, can't believe it is only 9", my current Mac pro is huge..

Yeah, I'm almost glad my cheese-grater Mac was stolen. I guess those handles were good for something.

ISABOA said:

i don't like most mac enthusiasts. I don't like the bullshit debate about macs and pcs and hipsters and realists.

fuck all that

I've owned every model redesign of the mac since my first mac classic in 89, they are really great computers. I like great computers.

I used to be one of those guys, a diehard Macevangelist. I'm on my fifth personal Mac since the mid 90s. They've proven their worth many times over. I just appreciate them as great products now rather than a religious crusade.

PietroPaoloVirdis

I don't begrudge Apple their success or widespread acceptance. They're a business. But their culture and focus has changed ostensibly to a consumer product company. It was in the air when the changed from Apple Computer to simply Apple.

Is this really true? Genuine question. When were Apple not a consumer product company? After all, what they started out to do was make the computer (which was something huge locked up in a vault at a corporate office) available for everyone. Has Apple ever changed, or has the market and the circumstances changed? It’s easy to be over the top romantic about Jobs, that he’s a Leonardo da Vinci while the rest are a bunch of Igor Sikorsky’s but I think Jobs always wanted to be a Sikorsky. When everything fell into place for Jobs, processor capacity, mobility, Napster’s anarchistic approach in introducing a no-turning-back concept and Zuckerberg’s revolution, he rode the wave like no other.

PietroPaoloVirdis

Getting used to this. That first paragraph should be a quote, kuro_te up-thread.

blackhand_
PietroPaoloVirdis said:

Is this really true? Genuine question. When were Apple not a consumer product company? After all, what they started out to do was make the computer (which was something huge locked up in a vault at a corporate office) available for everyone. Has Apple ever changed, or has the market and the circumstances changed? It’s easy to be over the top romantic about Jobs, that he’s a Leonardo da Vinci while the rest are a bunch of Igor Sikorsky’s but I think Jobs always wanted to be a Sikorsky. When everything fell into place for Jobs, processor capacity, mobility, Napster’s anarchistic approach in introducing a no-turning-back concept and Zuckerberg’s revolution, he rode the wave like no other.

Last time I checked, it's not a crime to like Apple or Steve Jobs. There are worse things to be guilty of...like listening to Nickelback.

I don't idolize Steve Jobs, but credit needs to be given where its due. I doubt his reasons were completely altruistic, but to imply his motivations were simply commercial is presumptuous and unreasonable.

But again, I'm not an Apple apologist. I'm not sure why you're playing devil's advocate. It doesn't bother me if you don't like Apple or Steve Jobs. You seem to think highly of Mark Zuckerberg, which is cool with me.

Or maybe you just take issue with me sounding like a know-it-all, which is completely justified.

PietroPaoloVirdis

I don't know why you think I had you in mind with my posts? I didn't. And I have nothing against Steve Jobs.

El-Be

There are worse things to be guilty of...like listening to Nickelback.

Classic!

El-Be

There are worse things to be guilty of...like listening to Nickelback.

Classic!

blackhand_
PietroPaoloVirdis said:

I don't know why you think I had you in mind with my posts? I didn't. And I have nothing against Steve Jobs.

Quoting someone's posts usually indicates that, unless your questions were rhetorical. I took the bait, though. If I read too much between the lines, that's my bad. I appreciate your critical thought, though.

blackhand_
PietroPaoloVirdis said:

You'd also have to pardon me if I mistook this as a response to my original post, but it's not hard to think given the context.

PietroPaoloVirdis

kuro_te, trust me, I did not have you in mind in particular. I understand where you're coming from with thinking that but your post (only reason I quoted it) simply made my mind wander and nothing else.

No account?
Join Us