Super Cat Critique

I'm looking for some critique on my WIP design for the Super Cat challenge. Thanks!

Watch this
hm087ster

Think the building needs some light and slight shadows

Ashleighdz

Is this supposed to be something like BatCat? If so, it would be cool for, instead of the moon, you could make it a cat signal. A laser, ball of yarn, or head of a cat.

JessieSima
JessieSima profile pic Alumni

Do you mean the skyline buildings or the one the cat is on? I think I like the skyline being flat, but I agree that the platform the cat is on could use some work. I will probably do some work on the moon as well. Thanks for the input :)

JessieSima
Ashleighdz said:

Is this supposed to be something like BatCat? If so, it would be cool for, instead of the moon, you could make it a cat signal. A laser, ball of yarn, or head of a cat.

Yeah I was trying to decide whether to go with the BatCat thing or not. In one version I was working on, the cat had the full mask that goes over his ears like BatMan, and I was thinking about having a robin with him, but then I moved to more generic superhero. I like your suggestion though. I'll play around with it.

JessieSima
Ashleighdz said:

Yeah I was trying to decide whether to go with the BatCat thing or not. In one version I was working on, the cat had the full mask that goes over his ears like BatMan, and I was thinking about having a robin with him, but then I moved to more generic superhero. I like your suggestion though. I'll play around with it.

Ashleighdz

I like the robin idea! maybe as a mouse or a real robin!

JessieSima
Ashleighdz said:

Yeah I was thinking of a realistic robin.

Ashleighdz
Jessisima said:
Ashleighdz said:

I was thinking that the moon would be replaced with a cat signal (like the batsignal except maybe a cat head)

Ashleighdz
Jessisima said:
Ashleighdz said:

Yeah I was thinking of a realistic robin.

that would be cool

johnnyspeter

I agree that the background city skyline needs some highlights and or windows/details. The Robin idea would def add more to it also. but its looking good so far.

hm087ster

Yeah, i was talking about the building the cat is on.

Elma e Francis

I think the cover on the right shoulder of the cat is a bit strange. curves may be less pronounced in this point.

I like the cat's expressions to much!

Ashleighdz
Elma e Francis said:

I think the cover on the right shoulder of the cat is a bit strange. curves may be less pronounced in this point.

I like the cat's expressions to much!

I agree, the cat's right shoulder is much wider than the left. Maybe is you make it come in a little bit closer it would look better.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Great start. Everyone else covered the main points of critique. Just keep working at it.

JessieSima
kuro_te said:

Great start. Everyone else covered the main points of critique. Just keep working at it.

Thanks everyone! I'll do some work on it and post some revision.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
Elma e Francis said:

This is my main problem. Besides that, the illustration really great. Any add-ons would cherries on top.

azrael5

good design..the cape looks a bit flawed as mentioned above...I'm sure you'll add shades also..and also this:the body posture looks a bit too cute for such a cat.

Itscarlospanganiban

well this is a great design,cool concept, awesome idea, but little cliche and its lacking with details.Just like what the first two users said, it would be better if there are lighted windows and Bat Cat symbol:))

JessieSima

More progress! There is still work to do, but I am experimenting so all comments are welcome.

madeofawesum

I like it, and I like the improvements you've made. I'm having a difficult time with where the cat begins and the cape ends. I'm seeing the cape define the shape of the cat when it should go the other way. My main issue is with the shoulder hip region on the cat's right. It looks like a ton of static cling or a misshapen cat. Other than that I really like it. You're improvements are great and the addition of the robin makes the pop reference stick out. I would say take the forward shadowing (the one that defines the building the cat is sitting on) slightly darker. Right now I think it would read as an accidental stain on a t shirt rather than intentional design.

JessieSima

Here's the final submitted version. Thanks for all the feedback!

No account?
Join Us