I feel so YUCKY

I feel so terrible, me and my brother a VERY great designer. He made a design I'M ALL ALONE but as i found out recently, that he took parts of other peoples design! :( I am very disappointed, and promise this will never happen again! I just feel like i did something terrible so i have to tell you all. That the design i uploaded was a cheat... :( I am sorry i disappointed you all!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
palitosci
palitosci profile pic Alumni

It's good to learn from the great artists of Threadless, observing techniques, compositions, color palettes, etc.. But you always have to be honest with yourself and create your own work. No matter how bad it is, someday will be perfected with practice.

Leave it behind and put your mind on the next.

Mr.Swoosh

thanks for the nice work i feel like such a loser! it wont ever happen again!

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

Hey it happens, My brother and I recently did a great design based on the solar system mapped out as a subway map, I got the idea whilst i was on the London Underground staring at the map, turns out the concept had already been done on woot albeit badly but these things happen, let it go and move on to the next, you have great skills

Ibod

respect for you, man

melmike
melmike profile pic Alumni

Agreed. There can be grey areas when working on existing characters like the comic and cartoon characters, but we always have to stay mindful that the artwork we create is from our own hands so to speak. I'm not a copyright hardliner like some others, which is to say, I do believe there is room in artistic expression to appropriate elements of one work for another, but the tracing of an exact expression without any alteration can't really be called a new creation.

But you live and you learn. You've explained what happened, and accept that you can't claim a right to the work and feel sorry for what you've done. Put it behind you and get cracking on new work.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni

I'm a little confused, when I first said it was similar to the two designs you said

I didn't flip the shape but I agree there similar. But, I didn't copy yes I was inspired from it, and I did tear like the other one and that's it. I mean you can put the designs together and check if there the same...

and then I posted this

And after saying I, I, I.. now it's your brother's fault? :P

Sounds a ltitle sketchy haha, but all I'm saying is, you can and definitely should use past Threadless designs for inspiration - but when you copy something from some popular artists, someone will recognize it! Learn from it! You obviously have skills, just be more original in your future work :)

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

you should e-mail threadless to take it down.

Nice Job on the gif Jeff.

El-Be
soloyo said:

you should e-mail threadless to take it down.

Nice Job on the gif Jeff.

Agreed, on both points.

El-Be
nyenyerejunior said:

Wow, let me get this straight. I'm grinding my ass off, working 10 hours a day making artwork that is receiving little to no recognition. Meanwhile, you are ripping things for fun and people are singing your praises. I hope you can understand that these two facts combined really irritate me.

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

i don't think i like this guy

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

If the copying thing had not been demonstrated I would have thought nothing about the avatar. Yes, Randyotter has used those eyes 200 times but the eyes are super basic, dare I say even generic. As long as it does not happen again he is cool with me. That said, he will probably need a new avatar, at least, to have community redemption.

tronbeardsley
tronbeardsley profile pic Alumni

What an awful thing for a brother to do - blatantly rip off multiple designs. Bad on you, brother.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Alumni

Girlfriend if this was reddit

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

Sometimes AlexMDC steals my artwork and submits it... but it puts a smile on his face so i let it slide... he's a good kid

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni
Ryder Revolution said:

Sometimes AlexMDC steals my artwork and submits it... but it puts a smile on his face so i let it slide... he's a good kid

I thought that was just me, maybe none of his work is original. Someone should witch hunt him.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni

"Your brother" kinda messed things up for you I think.

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni
jeffreyg said:

Girlfriend if this was reddit

reminds me of this:

"My little brother is disabled and he drew this! What does reddit think?" click link

It's a so-so drawing, but because the "little brother" who is "supposedly" disabled, that makes it good. TO THE FRONT PAGE!

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni
JordanLBender said:

And what about this one? Ryder Revolution already pointed it out.. it's what we were all thinking.

yuuuuuup...

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

scored really high too... not sure i trust that score... but who knows...

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
chuck p comics said:

I have had 2 designs stolen and they didn't say anything, at least this guy is coming out with it!

I think (just my opinion) that he got called out and is now trying to do damage control. That's a little different than "coming out with it".

El-Be

Why admit to taking one element but not the others? I agree with macdoodle

chuckpcomics
chuckpcomics profile pic Alumni
macdoodle said:
chuck p comics said:

I have had 2 designs stolen and they didn't say anything, at least this guy is coming out with it!

I think (just my opinion) that he got called out and is now trying to do damage control. That's a little different than "coming out with it".

possibly

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
Musarter said:

If the copying thing had not been demonstrated I would have thought nothing about the avatar. Yes, Randyotter has used those eyes 200 times but the eyes are super basic, dare I say even generic. As long as it does not happen again he is cool with me. That said, he will probably need a new avatar, at least, to have community redemption.

Shit son he could of just bought them https://creativemarket.com/randyotter/1006-Randyotter-emotions

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Randyotter Vs Naolito Clash of the titans, Hell fire and blood, toothless over at threadless. Lets get this jelly wrestle with sharp pencils Ooooooon!

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

Randyotter Vs Naolito Clash of the titans, Hell fire and blood, toothless over at threadless. Lets get this jelly wrestle with sharp pencils Ooooooon!

I called him on it before and he just replied that I shouldn't worry because he won't be using parts of my work.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
randyotter3000 said:
Musarter said:

omg, this is a thing?!? awesome!!!!

Shit son he could of just bought them https://creativemarket.com/randyotter/1006-Randyotter-emotions

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Alumni

I feel like people do this all the time, at least he didnt rip off ideas completely, I'm not saying it's ok but I do see people do this all the time, a ton of newer people as well, I do hate seeing some of my work in some peoples work, but hopefully he takes this critism for the positive and works to make his art better.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

randyotter3000 on June 10, 2013 at 11:08:08 Quote Musarter said: If the copying thing had not been demonstrated I would have thought nothing about the avatar. Yes, Randyotter has used those eyes 200 times but the eyes are super basic, dare I say even generic. As long as it does not happen again he is cool with me. That said, he will probably need a new avatar, at least, to have community redemption.

I'm buying them so I can sub them here: http://www.threadless.com/path/

taz-pie

ooh this gets juicier and juicier. can't wait for naolito to respond.

Mr.Swoosh

yeah the eyes aren't really stolen since everyone uses them, i put a lot of effort into making it more mine! but @Jeffy i was working with my bro when doing this design!!! and he showed me it and i flipped it, and it was a little different so i allowed him to upload it! And alex is a very great designer and hes staff too, and if he takes ideas for others but makes a lot of changes it doesn't count as copy, does it?

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

How to Make an Original Design

1. Find existing artwork from other designer
  2. Place in document
  3. Flip
  4. Retitle
  5. Blame on brother
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?