Close
One second...

Big Red Dog design Just submitted, thanks for the help!

Watch this
dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

A better pose, maybe something more frontal. Something that shows his size better also

ashtrashbigash

I was thinking of putting him in a city scape. I really want him to feel monumental.... Either that, or the woods

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

Yes yes, I think a city scape would work!!!!

thepapercut

Already mentioned, the city scape would be an excellent as it strengthens the image of who it is without stating it upfront. Really nice so far, keep pushing it!

taz-pie

be aware that the placement of the white moon looks like a boob.

aphrodite07

Maybe it would be better to add elements on the background, have everything in black and white or just outlines. Only the red dog has a different color, for it to stand out. Red is great. And perhaps add some details to the moon and resize it a bit, maybe.

I like the idea and the sketchy feel of the illustration :)

ashtrashbigash

Yeah, thanks guys, the moon is def. too big. lol I am going to do some sketches today and post them to see where I want this to go. Thanks for your input!

ashtrashbigash

Okay, so I drew a new dog, but I'm not really in love with it. I think it needs to be more stylized, and maybe connect with the viewer a little bit more, what do you guys think? Is the city working?

NCowick

It looks great, but I think you could be right on the more stylized idea. He seems a bit too posed maybe? Maybe a little looser with the tail, and really focus in on playing with his face? Maybe having his mouth open a bit or something? Could just be me, but I think to really sell the clifford angle you need to add the girl (don't know her name) somehow. A realistic representation of her wearing colors like those of her character. It would help with concept recognition, and with showing his size I think. She could just be standing to the fronet of him looking up or something. .Also I wonder if it might help to throw a couple small buildings or something at least partially in front of his back legs, and maybe extend the street a bit to draw him into the scene a bit more? City looks good though, and great concept. All just thoughts. Don't take me too seriously ;)

Ri7Li
Ri7Li profile pic Alumni

i prefer the first one!

ashtrashbigash
NCowick said:

It looks great, but I think you could be right on the more stylized idea. He seems a bit too posed maybe? Maybe a little looser with the tail, and really focus in on playing with his face? Maybe having his mouth open a bit or something? Could just be me, but I think to really sell the clifford angle you need to add the girl (don't know her name) somehow. A realistic representation of her wearing colors like those of her character. It would help with concept recognition, and with showing his size I think. She could just be standing to the fronet of him looking up or something. .Also I wonder if it might help to throw a couple small buildings or something at least partially in front of his back legs, and maybe extend the street a bit to draw him into the scene a bit more? City looks good though, and great concept. All just thoughts. Don't take me too seriously ;)

Thanks! Yeah, i think you are right about he face, he looks way too serious. I also plan on drawing out the whole city, right now it is just a photo that has been cheaply manipulated. lol Do you think it would be super cheesy to have the girl riding on his back?

etherElric

Hum, I don't know who Clifford the big red dog is, but I think the composition of the first doodle was more interesting then the posed version. I think the second dog lacks dynamics.. Isn't that a lovable dog? A fierce dog? I can't tell from the second drawing. Though the first one was suggesting it is a loyal dog, the second one just states: here is a dog.. It's red... And maybe big, since we see a city behind... Maybe also better suggest the size by showing an interaction with the background (like shadows)

ashtrashbigash

Just revised this, I need to do a better leash and actually make my own cityscape background, but I wanted to get a vibe as to how this composition is....

etherElric

I definitely prefer the latest. We have a sense of size and a bit of depth. Maybe a shadow below the dog would "sit it" more in the image?

ashtrashbigash

I changed a few more things, is the watercolor shadow super cheesy?

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

great revision, definitely better like this. And I think it looks better with the shadow than without. not sure about the city though, cuts off really weird at the bottom and the edges alternate between sharp and blurry which looks a bit unprofessional...

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

ok, sorry the city is probably still a work in progress? :)

ashtrashbigash

haha, yep. and the wavy junky leash too.

ashtrashbigash

Also, not sure about the background color, may try a few more options...

ourgraphicfaith

GREAT WORK! Maybe the buildings in the background could look more like a few kennels? Just an opinion :-) This is really nice going!

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni

Great development. This has a come a long way since your original concept sketch. Keep refining it. The dog's paws look a little off, so check some references. The inkwash shadow looks good. For the background, try a color that's a lighter shade of the background color.

ashtrashbigash

Is this better? Fixed the cityscape and collar situation. Also decided to go with a lighter background.

ashtrashbigash

Alight, it's submitted! I'll post a link when/if it gets approved! Thanks for all the help, You guys are awesome!

No account?
Join Us