Close
One second...

So when exactly did the community die?

I mean I know its been on its death bed for a while but this is pretty pathetic, there is literally one topic on the front page (general) that's not promoting a design and its just a guy posting gibberish over and over again

So where did the real community go?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Facebook + twitter + no critique section + it's goddamn Saturday

rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

I think it lost a lot of the people that came to just shoot the shit when they got rid of slogans because most of us were just here to have a good time and enjoy the very slim opportunity of a print.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

There are a great many newbies insesantly asking for help, but yeah it's the weekend, go play outside or check the Facebook page.

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

I'M STILL HERE

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

The community never died, just the familiar faces went away. It's an ebb and flow of people here, you're just looking for the regulars who aren't really around anymore.

littlem

you're just nookin for nub in all da wong paces

stubby43

I wouldnt call three pages of self promotion a community, cant imagine anyone wanting to meet up.

I'm not saying I dont miss the old people because I do but on the other hand I'd happily get to know new people if they were talking about anything but their new design that probably wont get printed.

Whats the deal with the facebook page? a lot of people have said thats the place to go.

Ferz

Facebook page is much more alive...and the one person u mentioned-just ignore....btw i also like meeting new people..Hi stubby43 :)!

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni
stubby43 said:

I wouldnt call three pages of self promotion a community, cant imagine anyone wanting to meet up.

I agree with you here. I haven't been participating very long, but these constant self-promotion and vote back-scratching threads get tiresome.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Yolandwhatevernumbers, are you real life?

Most of the old regulars stick to Facebook now, I'm assuming because bantering back and forth is a lot easier on there. There are quite a few keepers that stick around, though there is always going to be an influx of newbies and people that are here with hopes of making a quick buck. So many "WHY DID THIS MASTERPIECE GET DECLINED, I"M AMAZING" posts.

[+duracell-]

I guess when everyone knows everyone else's business, through social media, talking becomes.. i dunno, a hassle?

I don't think the very unsmooth transition to the 'new' website helped much. Kind of ruined a bunch of past conversations and replaced them with critique spam.

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
4 designs submitted - Score now!

Oh god.....so many why did my designs get declined posts..... And Yolanda of the numbers gibberish vomit.

Good to know Jeff G. Threafless is alive.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Surely that's trolling - can something not be done, it's bloody annoying for the few of us who do still want to hang out a bit here.

I've never been on the Facebook page, maybe I should check it out

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Weekend is super dead these days. People don't chat as much in the blogs but when do it will be at the top for a while. The slowness is crazy sometimes; on Friday I had a blog post that one person commented on and it was on the first page for 5 hours.

PeculiarTiffany

Where's a ban hammer when you need it?

dnice25
dnice25 profile pic Alumni
6 designs submitted - Score now!

Most people just want to see their designs printed dude. Nothing wrong with that and there are sooo many community based websites nowadays i'm sure people have migrated.

Normero

The forum doesn't really make sense to me either.All forum topics seem about the same to me.

It would be cool if they'd split up self-promotion and community forums (didn't they use to have something like that?).

PeculiarTiffany

They did and it was much better. There were a lot of features that I hope they bring back... eventually, maybe. Like a search function and being able to delete blogs without having to go to the old blogs to do so and a separate critique section. Also, Threadless can you please update your FAQs so we can stop having to answer the same questions over and over again? I'll compile a list for you if I need to.

taz-pie

I sometimes wonder why i still come here at all. All the self promotion bullshit. And this yolandifuckwit really pisses me off.

Normero
taz-pie said:

I sometimes wonder why i still come here at all. All the self promotion bullshit. And this yolandifuckwit really pisses me off.

I've actually never seen anything like him. His shit doesn't make sense, but it can't be computer generated.

I highly doubt that he's fucking wasted all day... what's left?

blackhand_
555YolandiDontdoit said:

kuro_te: says hello.me tooO.

:)

Are you sure your English is deficient? This seems like a very pointed and accurate parody of what I said. Maybe I'm giving him more credit than he deserves...

I hope this is some elaborate joke with an awesome pay-off at the end--the epitome of all trolls--but I doubt it.

GoddTodd

Yeah, the thread topics are really terrible here. I have no idea what the difference is between Art & Design and Projects, it seems like some of the veterans post everything to general, tips & tricks seems to be just another place to request to trade comments and 5's. I'd like to see the following Categories: Community Chatter Challanges and Duels Design Promotion Works in Progress Tips & Tricks

On a side note, I hope I myself am not to much part of the problem. As a new person, I really do appreciate getting constructive feedback on my work. It's really been helping me to push my work to a better level and editing out the projects that might not be worth spending calories on.

staffell
staffell profile pic Alumni

5 years ago

fightstacy
fightstacy profile pic Alumni

It died right about the time I decided to put time into it, ..all we get here these days is self promotion, yolandi, spoiler blogs, and old timers complaining about the community or lack thereof

BubbleHezza
BubbleHezza profile pic Alumni

I've only been here a year I'm pretty lazy when it comes to community stuff. Wish I had a little more go about me. But saying that it does seem to be pretty repetitive

Omair
staffell said:

5 years ago

You know who also got elected as our president 5 years ago?

coincidence, or...?

Omair
staffell said:

5 years ago

You know who also got elected as our president 5 years ago?

coincidence, or...?

stubby43

Well it used to be the case that there were no topics splitting up the blogs at all, its just generally speaking self-promotion was kind of frowned upon (by the way self promoting on the blogs is a complete waste of time, you're potential reach is maybe 100 people at best which isnt enough to sway the vote), people posted in progress designs and gave genuine advice.

But all this was geared behind the fact that people were actually friends, people talked about random crap, it didnt matter if a topic already existed you just posted it again (because people really werent going to search for the original), we used to photoshop stuff for the hell of it, there were in jokes.

We even photoshopped a picture of the community hanging out in a bar together and that eventually lead to the community meeting up at the threadless headquarters, the first year just sort of happened, after that it got more and more planned.

We had the bloggerraiser, a charity were we raised money to send one lucky person to the meet up who couldn't afford it.

People started design collectives together, people started creating designs who'd never considered doing art because they weren't good enough but the community gave them the confidence to do it.

Hell a two members of the community met, fell in love and got married.

People used to come and go but there would always be someone to replace them but for a while that kind of stopped, we attempted to save the community through all sorts of things like the ambassador program or community events but everything failed.

And I think the worst thing that ever happened to the community was social media, facebook, twitter and god knows what else threadless started using fragmented the audience, the main website where the most hardcore of fans lived got neglected and it stopped being the place you go to to talk threadless, to talk design and to hang out.

Threadless could have done more things, it could have promoted the community, the new design is confusing, same with the old one if you were visiting the site a new finding the blogs is difficult.

Threadless could ban self promotion blogs (they really are a waste of time) but honestly its too late.

The community is dead.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I think blogs complaining about a lack of community aren;t worth the effort of writing. Theres been a gazillion of them. If you don't like the lack of community then the only way to remedy it is to drum some up.

stubby43

Oh I know and I've been responsible for a few of them in the past but this is the worst state I've ever seen the community, I've been involved in this community for 7 years and it depresses the hell out of me to see it like this.

Morkki
1 design submitted -

Whine whine. The community isn't dead, it has just changed and spread out. And seriously, it's a shirt design site. People are going to talk about and promote shirt designs. Deal with things.

Morkki
1 design submitted -

The forum needs better structure. And actual moderators.

Twiggyhall

lol @ long hair Steve

stubby43

lol, you know I've forgotten who half these people are and I dont get the reference.

Twiggyhall

ToraSteve? He used to have long hairs like in this pic, but he does not any more

hmmmm....how many old-timer Threadlessers can YOU name in this pic?

I'll go first: WottoCraig, Margo, ToraSteve, OmairPear, Haya, Juliami, Brian...is that Holly on the right???

Twiggyhall

Oh and is that Aled?

stubby43

Margo, ToraSteve, Omair, Haya, Somni, Brian, me (I'm the one sitting down stacking beer) and then I'm done.

stubby43

Oh and Jenny Louise Raskopf

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni
6 designs submitted - Score now!
Morkki said:

The forum needs better structure. And actual moderators.

Yes please. Mods. I'm not really a fan of excessive self promotion threads either, however I love seeing works in progress as they start from sketches into finished subs. =]

evyc

I think if the critique section opened up, then they could just ban all posts asking for help from the general posts. So WIPS and and stuff would still get posted, but threads about being declined or asking for opinions would be elsewhere.

BubbleHezza
BubbleHezza profile pic Alumni

Looks very english

blackhand_

How about all people above a certain annoyance threshold get banned immedi

craquehaus

On the topic, I haven't been to the Threadless site in months...

"Hey Look at My Work" Promotion (with few exceptions) kills community building. The attempt to put all the promotional work in one thread was laudable but unrealistic.

The proper solution would to have a threadstaff/community actively modded forum where any kind of promotional appeal would be put in a separate forum section.

Until that happens, I'll see you in Threaddies. Or maybe Chicago.

Twiggyhall

Oh dang, that's you? Hahaha Well, at least I got the British part right :)

stubby43

lol close enough.

Spoke to Omair, apparently thats not haya...

littlem

i see priscilla, staffell, and lenabean, too!

littlem

i think there's a lack of sucking-face in the blogs. there! i said it!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us