Close
One second...

Question....

I'm still kind of new to this, so I cant help but ask how people get so many scores and comments on their design the first day its up for scoring! It is unfathomable to me! It seems like its just a popularity contest and the most popular get all the votes! Other than promoting the heck out of your designs how else do you get noticed?

Watch this
FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

Well... I mean... it's scores based on crowdsourced voting and comment, so yeah, it's quite literally a popularity contest.

FoodStampDavis

But, anyway, promotion is key. Dozens of new designs are going up every single day and that means hundreds are getting pushed further and further off the "most recent" page.

So, how do you make it seen? Make it look awesome and promote it, just like any other product.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

I disagree with foodstamps views on promoting though - threadless is about far more than that. You can make as many promote blogs as you like, as a stranger to me I'm likely going to ignore them. Get involved, comment on other threads, help out with critiques and generally get to know people. If you're a member of the community you don't have to promote as hard and people are likely to help out because they want to.

You may think that makes it a popularity contest but that's not quite right - it may get more people looking at your stuff, it doesn't guarantee they'll vote high.

FoodStampDavis
digsy said:

I disagree with foodstamps views on promoting though - threadless is about far more than that. You can make as many promote blogs as you like, as a stranger to me I'm likely going to ignore them. Get involved, comment on other threads, help out with critiques and generally get to know people. If you're a member of the community you don't have to promote as hard and people are likely to help out because they want to.

You may think that makes it a popularity contest but that's not quite right - it may get more people looking at your stuff, it doesn't guarantee they'll vote high.

Well put. To clarify, I consider the participation in the threads a form of promoting.

My popularity contest comment was to say that since designs are scored, quite literally, on their popularity with voters it is designed to be a popularity contest.

Back to promotion, you can look at some truly excellent designs by some very well-respected community members that were never printed and didn't even score highly. Luckily, scores aren't really that important when it comes to getting printed. Ultimately, it's the Threadless staff that decides if something is marketable enough to print. The voting is just sort of first round to cull the herd, if you will. High scores certainly get the judges' attention, but scores are not the be-all-end-all.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
foodstampdavis said:

It should also be noted that I'm no good at this and probably shouldn't be listened to.

ha, you're no worse than the rest of us! sorry if it looked like i was picking on you, didn't mean to, just wanted to put a different spin on it.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
foodstampdavis said:

Nope. We're pretty much enemies, now.

heh.

good to know, i'll be sure to go vote all your stuff 1 now!

FoodStampDavis
digsy said:
foodstampdavis said:

Nope. We're pretty much enemies, now.

heh.

good to know, i'll be sure to go vote all your stuff 1 now!

haha. I assure you the populace is already doing that for you.

taz-pie

FIGHT FIGHT FIGHT!

taz-pie

foodstamp used Projectile Vomit!

It was Super Effective!

taz-pie

Funny. My finishing move was always teabagging.

BoldPeacock

Well thanks for the advice and input!! It brings a different light to it for sure! BTW your comments made me laugh! :)

bottleHeD

How do you get noticed? By being good.

BoldPeacock

Well good thing I got that part covered! :D

No account?
Join Us