Close
One second...

Start a Free Store Today With Your Artwork

Set up an online store for your art in minutes. We'll handle all manufacturing, order fulfillment, and customer service for you!

Open up shop today

Yiynova MSP19U vs. Cintiq 13HD

There was a thread on here about the Wacom Inkling. After checking it out, I was researching more about the Cintiq and came across this product, the Yiynova MSP19U.

It has a 19" drawing surface, 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity, and a response time that's better than the Cintiq. Best thing of all--it costs about a third of a comparably sized Cintiq. $599 for a 19" Yiynova versus $1999 for a 22" Wacom.

Here's the review that sold me.

Since then, I've read up on several reviews and forums about the quality and performance of the Yiynova. There are some people that really hate on it, but they sound like Wacom fanboys. After watching Youtube videos and reading up on it as much as possible, I went ahead and ordered one on Amazon.

I've used Wacom products for 14 years and trust their quality and performance, but the Cintiq was always out of reach due to price. I do believe the Cintiq is a superior product, but for the price, the Yiynova seems like a great alternative.

I'll update this thread with my impressions once I get my Yiynova.

Update (July 13, 2013)

I need to come clean and disclose that I returned the Yiynova and purchased a Cintiq 13HD.

I purchased the Yiynova through Amazon, and was able to return it within the 30 day window. Customer service from Panda City, the US distributor of the Yiynova, was excellent. They understood that I wasn't completely satisfied with the product and gave me a full refund.

The Cintiq 13HD is small enough to slip into a laptop bag and has an all-in-one breakout cable and adapter, reducing the clutter. I've found that the Cintiq 13HD has no jitter in CS6. To be fair, I was experiencing jitter with the Yiynova on Adobe CS2. It could be that the issue doesn't exist in CS6. The Cintiq 13 HD's OSX drivers are also better, allowing users to calibrate the cursor. When properly calibrated, there's little to no cursor offset, except on the extreme edges of the screen.

The Cintiq 13HD is significantly dimmer than the Yiynova. At times it is hard to see the image on screen. The screen also has a matte finish. I like the higher resolution of the Cintiq 13HD and the stylus is much better, having the ability to change pen nibs. I use the hard felt nib, which gives great tactile feedback.

The design of the Cintiq 13HD is much better than the Yiynova, but doesn't affect the actual performance. The macro buttons and radial menu on the Cintiq 13HD are nice additions, but not something I would say are absolutely essential.

tl;dr - The Yiynova MSP19U is worth every penny and is a great alternative to the Cintiq. The new Cintiq 13 HD is an excellent product if you can justify the additional cost.

I could certainly live and work with the Yiynova, but overall, I have less frustration and greater peace of mind with the Cintiq 13HD. Buy once, cry once is the adage.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
airdeh

Damn! Thanks for the link, but I'm on Windows :'(

hisartwork
hisartwork profile pic Alumni
quick-brown-fox said:

Oh, are you on a mac? Frenden tweeted about mouse acceleration effecting the jitter and he found a plugin to turn it off. I'll see if I can find it...

That would be nice if it works!

Oh and good idea, airdeh, I should disable the bottom button on the pend. And I cant get the colors calibrated on the yiynova either.. I always have to move the file over to my other monitor to color correct.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni
quick-brown-fox said:

That was easier to find than I thought! http://frenden.com/post/56056883039/smoothmouse-made-my-yiynovas-jitter-feel-better

John, I saw this the other day, too. It looks like they're ironing out all the issues I had with the Yiynova. They've apparently got a new stylus that's improved over the original, too.

Airdeh, I'd give Manga Studio 5 a try. I think there's a trial version available, and in general, the drawing engine is better than Photoshop. You can adjust the stabilization for the drawing tools and reduce the jitter.

airdeh

Thanks for the tip kuro_te, will give it a try! :) Hope the program isn't too tough to pick up.

blackhand_
blackhand_ profile pic Alumni
airdeh said:

Thanks for the tip kuro_te, will give it a try! :) Hope the program isn't too tough to pick up.

For drawing, Manga Studio 5 is pretty awesome. I found that coloring was a little lacking, but I think it was just different from Photoshop. For a while I was drawing everything in MS5 and coloring it in Photoshop.

It looks like the trial version of MS5 isn't up yet. They have a demo for MS4, but it's a lot different.

azrael5

paul:if you can,try to return 13HD also in 30 day return :P,cos a stand alone Wacom tablet is due on 20AUG ...i guess you'll have to sell a couple of your internal organs to own one of them though

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us