Close
One second...

Yiynova MSP19U vs. Cintiq 13HD

There was a thread on here about the Wacom Inkling. After checking it out, I was researching more about the Cintiq and came across this product, the Yiynova MSP19U.

It has a 19" drawing surface, 2048 levels of pressure sensitivity, and a response time that's better than the Cintiq. Best thing of all--it costs about a third of a comparably sized Cintiq. $599 for a 19" Yiynova versus $1999 for a 22" Wacom.

Here's the review that sold me.

Since then, I've read up on several reviews and forums about the quality and performance of the Yiynova. There are some people that really hate on it, but they sound like Wacom fanboys. After watching Youtube videos and reading up on it as much as possible, I went ahead and ordered one on Amazon.

I've used Wacom products for 14 years and trust their quality and performance, but the Cintiq was always out of reach due to price. I do believe the Cintiq is a superior product, but for the price, the Yiynova seems like a great alternative.

I'll update this thread with my impressions once I get my Yiynova.

Update (July 13, 2013)

I need to come clean and disclose that I returned the Yiynova and purchased a Cintiq 13HD.

I purchased the Yiynova through Amazon, and was able to return it within the 30 day window. Customer service from Panda City, the US distributor of the Yiynova, was excellent. They understood that I wasn't completely satisfied with the product and gave me a full refund.

The Cintiq 13HD is small enough to slip into a laptop bag and has an all-in-one breakout cable and adapter, reducing the clutter. I've found that the Cintiq 13HD has no jitter in CS6. To be fair, I was experiencing jitter with the Yiynova on Adobe CS2. It could be that the issue doesn't exist in CS6. The Cintiq 13 HD's OSX drivers are also better, allowing users to calibrate the cursor. When properly calibrated, there's little to no cursor offset, except on the extreme edges of the screen.

The Cintiq 13HD is significantly dimmer than the Yiynova. At times it is hard to see the image on screen. The screen also has a matte finish. I like the higher resolution of the Cintiq 13HD and the stylus is much better, having the ability to change pen nibs. I use the hard felt nib, which gives great tactile feedback.

The design of the Cintiq 13HD is much better than the Yiynova, but doesn't affect the actual performance. The macro buttons and radial menu on the Cintiq 13HD are nice additions, but not something I would say are absolutely essential.

tl;dr - The Yiynova MSP19U is worth every penny and is a great alternative to the Cintiq. The new Cintiq 13 HD is an excellent product if you can justify the additional cost.

I could certainly live and work with the Yiynova, but overall, I have less frustration and greater peace of mind with the Cintiq 13HD. Buy once, cry once is the adage.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
mip1980

i am looking forward to your review :-)

blackhand_
1 design submitted - Score now!

Here's my new setup with the Yiynova MSP19U.

Overall, I'm very happy with the quality and performance of the Yiynova. I've never used a Cintiq, so I can't make a direct comparison, but for my workflow, the Yiynova works very well. I've cut production time on designs by more than half. Most of the time saved is from not having to constantly scan and refine my sketches. Now I just draw directly to screen and iterate from there.

Calibration of the Yiynova was easy, using Apple's built-in color calibration tool. The screen is bright and colors are accurate once calibrated. I have the Yiynova set up as a second monitor right now, though it does support mirroring and other configurations.

The surface of the Yiynova is smooth, unlike the Cintiq, from what I've read. I haven't found this to be an issue at all. Drawing on the smooth Yiynova screen feels very natural. You can buy a glove if you're concerned about smears and fingerprints, but I'm a pretty clean guy, so it's a non-issue.

I have noticed that when drawing slowly at a 100% view or lower, there is a slight jitter. This jitter disappears when sketching quickly or when zoomed in. I haven't done any fine detail drawing with the Yiynova yet, but I imagine it would be feasible as long as I have the screen zoomed in.

There's also a slight offset from the pen to the cursor. For OSX, the drivers lack a feature to adjust this offset. However, that feature is available for Windows. The offset is negligible and didn't cause any issues when drawing. The response time is also very good, with little lag.

I expect performance to improve even more with the release of new drivers. There are open-source drivers out there, but I haven't had much luck with them.

I was initially going to purchase a Cintiq 13HD, but for $400 less, I'm more than happy with the bigger screen and solid performance of the Yiynova.

moosabman

looks awesome.

moosabman

what were you using before the upgrade?

blackhand_

I was using a Wacom Graphire 2 and a scanner. Pretty ancient stuff, but it got the job done.

jodabaum

So, now you've got me wanting this... the whole "cursor offset" thing sounds like it would annoy me though... But for that price!!! I want it!!

blackhand_

From what I've read, this offset is present in Cintiqs as well. It's a result of the glass thickness. The Windows and open-source drivers have ways to adjust for this. Using it for a few days, though, it's something you quickly get used to.

jodabaum

its in my cart and im just itching to press "checkout".... lol

blackhand_

It's hard to resist. I was trying to justify buying a Cintiq for a long time. The Yinova's sell out quickly, and the company teased an HD version this summer. I don't know how long you can wait.

jodabaum

ooohhh HD version would be nice... wonder how much more $$ it will be...

Wolfgang8885

this would make things for me soo much easier...

nikoby

Nice review. I want a cintiq so bad, good to know the competition. I don't know if I could make the switch though. I've been using the intuos' for years, it feels so natural for me these days. The hardest part of getting used to it was being able to draw without looking down at what you are doing with your hand like natural drawing. So I am guessing that is the big perk for having your tablet display what you are drawing. I'm afraid I would buy a display tablet and then hardly use it because I am so used to the other kind.

blackhand_

Nikoby, I had the opposite issue. No matter how much I used a normal tablet, I couldn't get used to drawing while looking at the screen. That's why I opted for a display tablet.

If you can draw perfectly fine with an Intuos, it'd be hard to justify the significantly greater expense of a Cintiq. The response is better with non-display tablets like the Intuos. If you can try out a Cintiq or other display tablet, I'd recommend it to see if it would be an improvement for you.

Wolfgang8885

Unfortunately, that is why I do my linework in illustrator using the pen tool, because I cannot, for the life of me, draw on my tablet and look at the screen at the same time. Eventhough my art would come out much better (smoother) if I used the tablet. That would definitely be the ultimate tool for me to get that!

nikoby

It definitely took me a LONG time to get comfortable looking at the screen when drawing with a regular tablet, but it was so worth it.

jodabaum

PURCHASED

blackhand_

Whoa. I hope you like it. I purchased Manga Studio 5 along with the tablet, and that's what I've been using to sketch and do finished drawings. It's considerably cheaper than Photoshop, though I still use Photoshop to color my drawings.

wuhuli

Thinking of getting this as the regional distributor is situated near where I stay. Would you recommend a person who never used a tablet to get this ? Do you think it will work well with the free software available ? ( GIMP / Inkscape ) Does it work ok if you have to rest your hand on the tablet while drawing ?

Thanks in advance!

olie!

This looks sooooo nice.

blackhand_

I've never used a display tablet prior to this, so coming from using an old Wacom it was a huge improvement. I've had people that have used a Cintiq try the Yiynova, and though there are differences, they were impressed.

I can't comment on how the Yiynova works with GIMP or Inkscape. If they support pressure sensitive tools, then it should be good to go. However, if you're going to plunk down the money for a Yiynova, you should be able to buy a program like Manga Studio, which is very affordable and has lots of good features.

The Yiynova is sturdy enough to rest your hand on it while drawing. From what I've read, it is less bulky and heavy than a comparably sized Cintiq.

Another benefit of the Yiynova (and I imagine with a Cintiq) is that I draw a lot more now because it's so much quicker and easier for me now.

wuhuli

Thx!

jodabaum

I got mine off Amazon. should arrive by end of this week or beginning of next week. I'll update once I get mines. I plan on using Photoshop mostly.

macdoodle

I have been thinking of giving one of these a try. My only concern would be the stylus scratching or etching the screen after long use. I know my Intuous tablet has become etched over time. Maybe its the difference of drawing on a plastic surface vs gorilla glass?

blackhand_

The Yiynova surface is smooth glass and the stylus tips are plastic, so I don't think it's possible to etch the surface. If you want to try one out, I'd suggest getting one through Amazon as you can return it if you're not happy with the product.

wuhuli

Managed to order one and pick it up on the same day!

Love it so far, trying it out on Manga studio trial version :

Never tried a drawing tablet before but this is awesome so far. But I keep accidentally pressing the buttons of the pen. And it doesn't seem to work with an extended display ? ( Duplicate works )

Thanks kuro for reviewing it here!

macdoodle
kuro_te said:

The Yiynova surface is smooth glass and the stylus tips are plastic, so I don't think it's possible to etch the surface. If you want to try one out, I'd suggest getting one through Amazon as you can return it if you're not happy with the product.

Once I get some funds together I may treat myself.

blackhand_

Wuhuli, nice that you live near the distributor. Panda City, right? They're pretty good about technical support. On OSX, I have it set up as an extended display. You should be able to do the same within Windows, though I'm unfamiliar with the drivers.

How are the additional tools it came with? For OSX, the tablet doesn't have the calibration tools that Windows has.

addu
3 designs submitted - Score now!

Ah, they don't ship to the country(India) I stay in. :(

nikoby

I am jealous

wuhuli
kuro_te said:

Wuhuli, nice that you live near the distributor. Panda City, right? They're pretty good about technical support. On OSX, I have it set up as an extended display. You should be able to do the same within Windows, though I'm unfamiliar with the drivers.

How are the additional tools it came with? For OSX, the tablet doesn't have the calibration tools that Windows has.

I actually found this site http://www.yiynova2u.com/page-4926.html while googling. They serve south east asia. And they are under the 'Where to buy' link of the panda city web site. Haven't tried the additional tools, I just fired it up and started trying it with some software.

addu said:

Ah, they don't ship to the country(India) I stay in. :(

Looks like they ship to india too. "Yiynova : Ship to Singapore 2-3 days. Ship to India 4-5 days."

jodabaum

ughh signature required and I missed the delivery! ughh gotta wait till tomorrow!

blackhand_

Man, sorry to hear that, jodabaum. Are you running OSX or Windows?

blackhand_

Okay, I'm running Photoshop CS2 on OSX, and I have to admit that drawing leaves a little to be desired. Painting and coloring are perfectly fine, but trying to draw slowly and precisely is difficult at 100% zoom. You have to zoom in to at least 200% to eliminate the jitter.

It's because Photoshop doesn't offer any sort of software stabilization. In Manga Studio, drawing is fine because the tools have adjustable levels of stabilization. If you find that Photoshop is a pain, check out the trial version of Manga Studio.

jodabaum

Okay! thanks for the tips! Im currently using a wacom intuos 4 and CS5 and CS6 and I always had problems with the jitter unless I zoom in like you said. So i'm used to that at least.

I'm actually running OSX on a hackintosh (custom PC) I built . So I really hope I can get this thing to work. I haven't had any issues with any other peripherals yet so It shouldn't be a problem. I do have a Macbook Pro as well, but My hackintosh is a beast!

blackhand_

That's strange that you have jitter issues with an Intuos. I had those issues with my old Wacom, but they disappeared when I plugged the tablet directly into the computer and not a USB hub.

Good luck getting your setup to work. I'd still recommend Manga Studio. My new workflow is to draw everything in that program and color in Photoshop. Manga Studio can save files as PSDs with all the layers intact.

jodabaum

Yeah I don't know why I still get those jitters! Ill def. try Manga! thanks!

jodabaum

Ok! so I got it and so far its fantastic! Haven't used it that much but the sensitivity is great and the jitters aren't that bad in PS... more time will tell I guess and ill update tomorrow after more use!

quick-brown-fox
5 designs submitted - Score now!

Just wondering how you guys are getting on with this.

celandinestern

I wanted the Yiynova but they actually don't carry it here (lousy godforsaken backwater of a country) so I broke and got a Cintiq. It has cursor offset too, and a very noticable jitter towards the left side of the screen (right side smooth, left side jittery. huh? no idea what that's about). It also has a super annoying habit of randomly switching off pressure sensitivity - so anything between one in twenty and one in three strokes is gonna be non-pressure-sensitive and you have to undo it and draw again. It's not worth slitting one's wrists over but it's bloody annoying. People suggest all sorts of fixes but none of them work. All of this is in stupid Photoshop so it's possible that other programs have far less trouble. Other than this it's a sweet machine, but I still wish I could have gotten the giant-ass Yiynova instead of a medium sized Cintiq.

quick-brown-fox

That's a real pain Lidija. It sounds like you've searched for a solution far and wide, but it might be worth removing any conflicting drivers and reinstalling the original ones. Yiynova have recently started distributing from Holland, which is why I'm considering getting one.
Thanks Lori! I found Ray's video on youtube on the previous model last year and started following him on twitter. He's been really helpful and answered a couple of tweets.

pyr4lis

couldnt you just get someone stateside to buy it for you and just ship it to you Lidija?? I would think that although expensive shipping would still be much less than the Cintiq?

I actually ordered one and had to return it though since I'd already switched to windows 8 and at the time they (i dont know about now) they had no pressure drivers for windows 8

blackhand_

Hey, Lori, Ray Frenden's review was the one I linked in the original post. It's what sold me on the Yiynova. I need to come clean, though, and disclose that I returned the Yiynova and purchased a Cintiq 13HD. I was going to post a write-up about the differences between the two, but life interfered.

I purchased the Yiynova through Amazon, and was able to return it within the 30 day window. Customer service from Panda City, the US distributor of the Yiynova, was excellent. They understood that I wasn't completely satisfied with the product and gave me a full refund.

The Cintiq 13HD is small enough to slip into a laptop bag and has an all-in-one breakout cable and adapter, reducing the clutter. I've found that the Cintiq 13HD has no jitter in CS6. To be fair, I was experiencing jitter with the Yiynova on Adobe CS2. It could be that the issue doesn't exist in CS6. The Cintiq 13 HD's OSX drivers are also better, allowing users to calibrate the cursor. When properly calibrated, there's little to no cursor offset, except on the extreme edges of the screen.

The Cintiq 13HD is significantly dimmer than the Yiynova. At times it is hard to see the image on screen. The screen also has a matte finish. I like the higher resolution of the Cintiq 13HD and the stylus is much better, having the ability to change pen nibs. I use the hard felt nib, which gives great tactile feedback.

The design of the Cintiq 13HD is much better than the Yiynova, but doesn't affect the actual performance. The macro buttons and radial menu on the Cintiq 13HD are nice additions, but not something I would say are absolutely essential.

tl;dr - The Yiynova MSP19U is worth every penny and is a great alternative to the Cintiq. The new Cintiq 13 HD is an excellent product if you can justify the additional cost.

I could certainly live and work with the Yiynova, but overall, I have less frustration and greater peace of mind with the Cintiq 13HD. Buy once, cry once is the adage.

blackhand_

Lidija, which Cintiq did you end up getting?

pyr4lis

Oddly enough for myself I bought a Surface Pro and I adore it :) I much prefer it to my intros tablet and desktop

blackhand_

Bump for Lidija and Jodabaum to provide additional feedback.

jodabaum

Hey all. Im still using the yiynova . Not many complaints here, but I have never used a Cintiq, but I did have a wacom intuos 4 previously. The yiynova isnt perfect, and isn't quite as smooth as my intuos 4, but the pen and pen tip are probably my least favorite part of the yiynova. Its not as comfortable and I'm always hitting the button on it, I never had that issue with the wacom pen. Also not being able to swap out the tip is a but lame. The tablet runs fine on my hackintosh and CS6. I'm getting fairly smooth lines, about as well as I was getting with the intuos. I have not done as much free hand drawing on it as I thought I would be when I ordered it, but thats my laziness. All in all, it has some noticeable difference from wacom, but none of which I would consider deal breakers, especially when comparing costs.

airdeh

I recently got myself a Yiynova too. Have never tried the cintiq either but I think it's a good upgrade from my intuos 4. Drawing on screen can be very useful when you're doing very detailed rendering with lots of lines/hatching/stippling - Less ctrl-zing involved. I have a bit of a problem trying to calibrate the color of the monitor though. It's just super bright on SRGB channel, but looks the most 'right' of all the options. The contrast and brightness can't be adjusted in that mode , so the colors seem different from my other 2 monitors. I always have to check on all three to see if i missed out something. The suckiest part is probably the slight jitter when you draw slowly in CS5, but otherwise it's pretty worth it. The service from the asia distributor is good - They are fast to reply on technical difficulties. Think I'll have to contact them again.

^ I disabled the bottom button because I tend to accidentally press it and only use the 2nd button to open the brushes window.

quick-brown-fox

Oh, are you on a mac? Frenden tweeted about mouse acceleration effecting the jitter and he found a plugin to turn it off. I'll see if I can find it...

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?