Close
One second...

Low scoring Challenges - THREADSTAFF thoughts?

I just noticed that the select challenge closed last night and I'm pretty surprised by how low scoring everything is. The top score was only 3.40 with only 14 out of 750+ designs scoring over 3!!
Theres a huge number of 1s on everything as well - have the 1 brigade been out to play?
Not that it matters much as it appears to be across the board, its just a shame as there's some lovely work there and it kinda brings down the tone a bit.

Seems like a similar thing has happened with the Bikes Challenge - only 4 designs scoring over 3 and, with the exception of the top scoring one which is way off kilter to the rest, a pretty high number of ones in comparison to vote numbers. I hate to think what scores would look like if we still had 0's!

Is this going to be the norm now? For obvious reasons, 3 felt like an easier score to break when we first dropped the 0's on the new site. Now it's starting to feel like a real goal again - not a bad thing of course, I just hate seeing totally epic designs get unrealistically high numbers of bad votes :-(

i also wonder why i bother posting this seeing it's pretty much completely irrelevant. I guess I'm just curious as to whether I'm the only one who's noticing or who thinks this way.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
dandingeroz
dandingeroz profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

My two design got 2.60+ something.

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

I agree, there seemed to be a lot of 1's dished out. That seems to be the way of things these days. I noticed that quite a few of the designs have very little to do with the theme of the brief, but that may be because the theme wasn't clear from the beginning. For instance, of the ten I subbed, my fish tie scored the highest and I did that before I'd heard anything about high school.

I just don't get how a design can get so many 5's and 1's. The old site seemed to show a trend that if you got a lot os 5's then 4,3,2,1,0 would be incrementally lower amounts. It's a weird one for sure.

Also, It's weird not having a vajillion designs for scoring!

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni

I agree..

Akaka
Akaka profile pic Alumni

Same here, okayish score of 2.60 but more zeroes than seems normal (60 out of just 212 scores)

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

yeah my highest scoring sub, a 3.17, got about the same number of 1s as 5s. the others, which all hovered around 2.7 bar one, all got about twice (almost three times on one) the number of 1s than 5s. I really wish we could see full on skinny stats again, i liked the little graph and all.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

what's really indicative i think is that out of 753 subs, only 14 scored above 3!

In a post-zero era that's pretty shocking!

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

Yeah the votes are in and they're not too peachy My highest score (of my 7 in the running) was The science shirt with a whopping 3.18 and my lowest was my Sport pattern at 2.56. Every single sub with some heavy 1age. What can you say, people are dickheads, democratic dickheads :)

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

down scoring others to try an make theirs stand out i think was rife which is such a retarded thing to do. I regretted my design as soon as it went up but i gave plenty of fives. Some superb work up there, Wharton's science shirt and the Salmon tie were absolute stand-outs

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

Yeah the votes are in and they're not too peachy My highest score (of my 7 in the running) was The science shirt with a whopping 3.18 and my lowest was my Sport pattern at 2.56. Every single sub with some heavy 1age. What can you say, people are dickheads, democratic dickheads :)

yeah, i was just behind you Wharton with a 3.17, my lowest being a 2.50. you're right though, at least they're democratic with their 1s so you get an even playing field!

Wharton

I was hoping for a badass score with Science as it was on the front page for a while, but I guess these things just happen. Its in the lap of the Threadgods now.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Maybe it was the deluge of hideous leggings and people trying to reinvent plaid that affected voting. Also I don't think many people paid attention to the whole Select thing and just vote low anything that isn't a t-shirt.

Then again, what does it matter? Select subs will be compared only to other Select subs when picking winners. Numbers are relative!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Morkki said:

Maybe it was the deluge of hideous leggings and people trying to reinvent plaid that affected voting. Also I don't think many people paid attention to the whole Select thing and just vote low anything that isn't a t-shirt.

Then again, what does it matter? Select subs will be compared only to other Select subs when picking winners. Numbers are relative!

to be fair, i voted a lot of plaid stuff 1!

I know it doesn't make a difference - like i say, it's an even playing field - it just, well, brings down the tone of the place... we're all rather posh and mature in here didn't you know! This kind of shit makes it feel like a school playground, which in fairness is probably rather appropriate for the challenge!

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

well said

Wharton

Here here.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
Wharton said:

Here here.

where?

Elma e Francis

I got 2.70 with 140 1s.

But I think is because my pattarn sucks... hahahah

yup, Numbers are relative!

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

Both of mine got a 2.65, not that they were outstanding. I think with Selects, Threadless already has in mind what they want and score isn't going to be a big deciding factor.

ashtrashbigash

I think people get jealous if someone is on the top and they vote ones to bring them down a few notches... Kinda sucks. I'm not saying I don't give out my fair share of ones, but I only give them to designs that deserve it.

campkatie
campkatie profile pic Alumni

All of mine were very low as well. The fact that they were up for voting for weeks and weeks probably didn't help either...if they were all up for 7 days like usual I think the average would be higher for all.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni
campkatie said:

All of mine were very low as well. The fact that they were up for voting for weeks and weeks probably didn't help either...if they were all up for 7 days like usual I think the average would be higher for all.

I agree, I wish they would change that. I mean, Wittlebee stuff up for over 3 months? Yeesh. Just gives the haters more time to hate.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

A 2.68 for my only Select sub. I actually thought it was going to get a much lower final score.

amaara

my two best got a 2.68 and a 2.65

a really interesting thing I noticed is that one day, all of a sudden I got like 50 votes, only on my higher scoring subs (ie the ones that were within the first 5 pages on 'average score'

which took them down a lot looking at that page, reallllyy good things that were on top all the time (the science pattern, and the badminton birdie) dropped down

and, not that my subs were all that good or anything, but some random ugly things somehow ended up on that top avg score first page

smh, lol

Wharton
TheInfamousBaka said:
campkatie said:

I agree, I wish they would change that. I mean, Wittlebee stuff up for over 3 months? Yeesh. Just gives the haters more time to hate.

Yeah, I was thinking this, 7 days is enough for a design to be in the stocks and have 1s thrown at it and surely if you submit a design early on in a competition its stands a greater chance of a lower score than those submitted on the deadline.

veciocoldobro

Yep, lots of ones on mines too, my max has been 2.34..pretty lame..But I submitted to the select challenge before discovering the theme was "back to school", so no surprise at all..

DavidBS

I would like to see ryder's opinion. He focused on this challenge pretty well.

My sub got a 3.09. 557 scores (only a week or less scoring).

It was a resub and it ended better than the first time (2.69 with almost the same number of scores).

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

that sub was excellent - i can't believe it would have scored so low previously!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

I just want to make something clear in that I'm absolutely not moaning about my scores at all - everything is relative and I had one of the top scoring designs and another 3 on page 2. So I'm very happy with how I faired amongst the competition, I just think as a whole the challenge seemed very low scoring and the number of 1s on everything hints that down scoring may have played a part in this across the board. Again, it makes no difference as all the scores will be measured against each other, I just think its a shame to see it happening :-(

Wharton
digsy said:

I just want to make something clear in that I'm absolutely not moaning about my scores at all - everything is relative and I had one of the top scoring designs and another 3 on page 2. So I'm very happy with how I faired amongst the competition, I just think as a whole the challenge seemed very low scoring and the number of 1s on everything hints that down scoring may have played a part in this across the board. Again, it makes no difference as all the scores will be measured against each other, I just think its a shame to see it happening :-(

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Well at least I won something!

AlanBao
AlanBao profile pic Alumni

Welp, I read that as 'weiner' and had a gigglesnort moment. Time to wash out my mind with soap.

Also, to be fair, patterns are kinda boring when compared to the cool designs you usually see around Threadless. Might be that people are just browsing through all the designs and judging by the normal standard, rather than the pattern-heavy Select standard.

kimkong1014
kimkong1014 profile pic Alumni

I have 2 subs for this comp. My Melted Mapple leaf got 2.94 average score with 160 FIVES and (shit) 197 ONES! The other design got 2.60. Hope tless will pick the best deisgn for this challenge not only based from the average but that's how it works so congrats to the future winners . . . . . . . . .

14 designs with 3+ average? WohhH! i got chance haha since they promise to print 20+ designs. LOL. goodluck to all!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
AlanBao said:

Also, to be fair, patterns are kinda boring when compared to the cool designs you usually see around Threadless. Might be that people are just browsing through all the designs and judging by the normal standard, rather than the pattern-heavy Select standard.

this is a good point

Farnell
Farnell profile pic Alumni

All mine did pretty average score wise, agree with QBF - the majority of subs didn't have much to do with the theme or moodboard supplied.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

Seems like a similar thing has happened with the Bikes Challenge - only 4 designs scoring over 3 and, with the exception of the top scoring one which is way off kilter to the rest, a pretty high number of ones in comparison to vote numbers. I hate to think what scores would look like if we still had 0's!

Is this going to be the norm now? For obvious reasons, 3 felt like an easier score to break when we first dropped the 0's on the new site. Now it's starting to feel like a real goal again - not a bad thing of course, I just hate seeing totally epic designs get unrealistically high numbers of bad votes :-(

i also wonder why i bother posting this seeing it's pretty much completely irrelevant. I guess I'm just curious as to whether I'm the only one who's noticing or who thinks this way.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

also, would be interesting to see how guys who resubbed previous work got on in comparison to the first time. I think speakerine had a few and maybe palitosci too?

Wharton

Which design came out on top for the bike challenge?

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

yeah, i'm not a fan myself and it's so off the chart compared to everyone else that it is a little suspicious. That said if i had 200 odd people who would vote 5 for me, I'd use it everytime so fair play! Just as long as they're not the same people running out and voting 1 for everyone else.

KeepitGangsta

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of 1s being thrown around. I was kind of bummed because I've never gotten over a 3 on a submission but one of my last ones got 2.99. 48 fives and 39 ones. I assume 1's mean no effort into the design at all so i was pretty disappointed with the results :(.

I put a lot of effort into this, I know that the color scheme isn't ideal but 39 ones out of 250 votes? http://www.threadless.com/threadless/the-war-at-home/

KeepitGangsta

Oh, this is about challenges. Sorry. Although i don't think the low scoring is limited to challenges. Even subs to the threadless ongoing challenge are being low balled.

Wharton

It looks like he's got an army of friends, but like you say what can you do and where can you hire a faceless army from, because I'd quite like one.

Steger
Steger profile pic Alumni

There were only 4 bike subs that got above 3.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni
KeepitGangsta said:

Yeah, I've noticed a lot of 1s being thrown around. I was kind of bummed because I've never gotten over a 3 on a submission but one of my last ones got 2.99. 48 fives and 39 ones. I assume 1's mean no effort into the design at all so i was pretty disappointed with the results :(.

I put a lot of effort into this, I know that the color scheme isn't ideal but 39 ones out of 250 votes? http://www.threadless.com/threadless/the-war-at-home/

everyone will get ones, that's just par for the course, and I would say anything around 60 1s on an average design is to be expected. What we're seeing though is even the top scoring designs in challenges getting a couple of hundred 1 votes - more than they're getting of 5 and up to a third of their overall votes. plus, only a few of them are breaking 3 which too is unusual.

campkatie
campkatie profile pic Alumni

I mean come on, 90 1s!

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

only 90, you're lucky! :-p

i was on the front page most of the way - 148 ones, and a 2.80. Not bad considering all the others, so I'm happy enough, but for only 4 designs to break 3 shows a problem.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I submitted four designs for the bike challenge, one of those being a re-sub. The re-sub did better the first time around and was being considered for print by Gap.

Overall I got a shit load of 1s on all 4 subs which is a little deflating for the old ego. My lowest is 2.66, my highest was 2.75

Oh well, democracy at work I guess. :)

Wharton
macdoodle said:

I submitted four designs for the bike challenge, one of those being a re-sub. The re-sub did better the first time around and was being considered for print by Gap.

Overall I got a shit load of 1s on all 4 subs which is a little deflating for the old ego. My lowest is 2.66, my highest was 2.75

Oh well, democracy at work I guess. :)

Idiocy at work more like.

macdoodle
macdoodle profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I wish there was a douche filter so all the douches would be locked out of voting or down voting or up voting friends or somethin like dat.

Either that or my stuff is just poop :)

Angry Yeti

With a system based on peer review there are always going to be some bad apples who try to manhandle it to work in their favor. Honestly the best way to combat something like that is for the majority of people here to give fair and honest votes to every item they look at not just ones they like. The more votes tallied the more accurate the average score is reflected. Granted I am pretty new to Threadless but I can understand the frustration when you see things switch to such a negative vibe.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?