Close
One second...

Repeating Pattern TUTORIAL

my old blog was deleted when my account got deactivated so I'm sharing this again with all of you. this technique can be applied both traditionally and digitally:)

STEP 1:
Draw something in the middle of your paper/screen. DO NOT go to any edges (as tempting as it may be don't!) As soon as your satisfied with what you have move on to step two. (I doodled a dog wearing a sweatband.)

STEP 2:
Take your drawing and cut it EXACTLY in half vertically. Yes, cut it! (if you are doing this on a computer it's not a terrifying) Once you've done that flip each side and then place them back together so your drawing is now on the outside edges of your paper.

STEP 3:
Take your drawing and cut it EXACTLY in half horizontally, go ahead and flip each side so you now have your drawing in each of the four corners of paper.

STEP 4
Here's the fun part! fill in the center space of your drawing. Be careful not to go to the edges of your design, this is important here too! Once your satisfied, sit back and smile:) If you're working on traditionally now would be the time to scan it and open it in your favorite program.

STEP 5
I use an old photoshop program so I hope this is an option for the rest of you.
Select your whole image and go to edit "Define pattern from selection" Name it what ever you like.

STEP 6
Open a new file that's larger than your current file
(40x40 inches is the size needed for a belt print on threadless, just FYI)

Use your paintbucket tool and select pattern, find your pattern name select it and fill in your black page with your awesome pattern:)

STEP 7
:) "Tada" You're done!

Watch this
filgouvea
filgouvea profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Awesome, I learned how to make a pattern from your old blog. Much simpler then other techniques I see around. Thanks for sharing!

Mantichore
Mantichore profile pic Alumni

nice, thanks!

dudeowl
dudeowl profile pic Alumni

good job!

boostr29
boostr29 profile pic Alumni

nice tip :)

nikolina100

seems so easy! I'll have to try it. I tried one time, many moons ago and promptly gave up! ha!

nicholelillian
nicholelillian profile pic Alumni

haha it's much easier on the computer! You should give it a go, Nicole

my trees design I did on a piece of computer paper and almost messed it up, but I'm glad I fixed it : )

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

This is what I do too. You need to make this a real pattern, Nichole!

bovary

loved the doodles. patterns are my addiction and this tutorial is really clear and easy to understand/follow. thank you!

QuietCity
QuietCity profile pic Alumni

This is very helpful. Thanks for making this!

Mr.Grimewave

F'n Awesome! Thanks for the help.

Max439
1 design submitted -

Awesome

Bohsky

Thanks for tutorial!

Manupix
Thomas Orrow said:

Come back Ratkiss!

;_;

Jake Friedman

Man, seeing some of these old threads getting bumped just reminds me of how many people have stopped threadlessing.

vectored_life

Ohh. Emm. Gee.

Is this for real? Imma pattern til my eyeballs fall out.

Manupix
Jake Friedman said:

Man, seeing some of these old threads getting bumped just reminds me of how many people have stopped threadlessing.

yep

;_;²

No account?
Join Us