Close
One second...

WIP # 2 Clowns have big shoes to fill UPDATE 1/5/2013

Watch this
soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Dad and son :-)

Pez Banana

Thank you Soloyo for providing this awesome opportunity! Feedback is most welcome :)

i personally like the rough pencil sketch style but i'd also like to add some ink outlines, and discard / redo the halftone shadowing which turned out rather cheap.

3 VERY subdued colors plus outlines, over cream, but thinking of using only outline and one or two colors, like in old-fashioned printings.

Also maybe the kid's hair needs strands / detailing too... WIP indeed :P

Dreamspace

Really adorable character creation. The rough sketch lines is nice but i think proper ink lines would be great. And the half tones doesn't fit in well. The color palette is a bit dull too could use some fun colors. Actually can't really dislike the colors you have used but I can't really love it too. :-)

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

circusy font circusy font!!!!

Pez Banana

Dreamspace: Thank you! i agree about the half tones not working and the ink outlines. Muted colors, barely noticeable, was my original plan to help bring out the lines of the drawing, but i'll try some bolder, brighter colors.

BeanePod: circusy font AND hand made :) ... working on it :D

BeanePod
BeanePod profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

yes and yesser! to be honest, i like the muted color palette. but hey, why not try it bold right? can't hurt....and you are dealing with clowns after all :)

soloyo

Thanks for your comments guys.

micheleficeli

I personally like the sketchy feel and the muted colors here, and i'll keep it old-fashioned as you planned. Not sure the way it is now can work well on a tee (better for art print, imo), and maybe some inked outlines could be better. Also, i'd remove the halftones and try to do shadows with patterns of parallel and crossed lines, if know what i mean.

soloyo

Any more comments or suggestions?

jaypaulo
jaypaulo profile pic Alumni

I think it's pretty cool. Besides the halftones that everyone mentioned it looks really good.

soloyo

x-mas bump

ragzy

Personally like the muted colours and old fashioned print idea but what may I ask if going on with the kids neck? Was his mother a giraffe?

soloyo

it's a WIP^

Pez Banana

Merry Christmas (or post X-mass if you will).

Thanks for the feedback and support! I'm inking the lines and hopefully it'll improve. I have a soft spot for rough penciled lines but i do agree that for a t-shirt, inked lines would be best.

As for the kid's neck, that thing was intentional (notice also his little T-Rex arms). I dunno, clowns have funny proportions? :P

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

I agree that the sketchy look isn't right for a shirt: it looks unfinished and all those smudges and pencil marks would look like stains) I'm not fond of the half-toned shadows, they clash with the old-fashioned feel of the drawing. I also feel that the spare shoes extend too far down the image: the viewer's eye should be centered on the clowns and the text.

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

You could also increase the size of the shoes on the clowns' feet to exaggerate and emphasize the sentiment in the text. Maybe make the shoes fatter and rounder.

Pez Banana

Thanks for the feedback, Bio-bot... the spare shoes have been bothering me as well... like perhaps they're not even needed? The shoes the clowns are wearing could be enough...

Pez Banana

About the spare shoes: the idea behind them is that the kid is trying on his dad's shoes. So he has big shoes to fill both literally and metaphorically, them being his DAD's shoes and the kid eventually filling in his dad's position in the circus.

Am i complicating this concept too much and should i lose the spare shoes?

We can show a version both with and without shoes.

Pez Banana

UPDATE: applied ink and drew ribbons over which will go the text: "Clowns Have Big Shoes To Fill".

Modified sizes and position of spare shoes. I think that now with the added weight of the ribbons on top, the composition needs something a bit more solid below to balance the whole thing a bit.

Maybe add more shoes? The idea is that visually everything must flow. Shoes should not feel out of place or make the scene feel clunky. That's why they're kind of flowing in the same direction as the ribbons and then onto the Father Clown's feet.

Hope you like how it's going so far...

Pez Banana

Sorry, image too large :S Here's better:

Twiggyhall

D'awww! This is looking so cute :)

soloyo

Super Cute

soloyo

I love the kid's shoes, the adult shoes need to look a bit similar to the kids, at this moment they look almost like swords??

Pez Banana

You mean too pointy? ... or you mean too long? :P

I thought of cowboy or riding boots for the dad, and sneakers for the kid. Softer & rounder for the kid, a bit more angular and sharp for the dad.

Notice this is a recurring element, visible on hairstyle and clothing. The boy has rounder features, the adult has sharper ones.

I can polish / refine the dad's shoes, see which version works better.

RubberDuckyUrThe1

I understood the difference between the shoes, personally I like them how they are. I mean a dad and son wouldn't usually be wearing the same style of shoes... Right?

Pez Banana

i love the very first ones, soloyo. That's the style i went for but i made them pointy.

I like these ones too, they are pointy but not too pointy:

soloyo

Yeah, I like the first ones the best

soloyo

over the spam bump

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni

from a WIp to another, I like the shoes, I like the mute colors very much, yep dump the halftones. I'd try just a wee thing, having the line work dark brown rather than black? VoilĂ !

v_calahan
v_calahan profile pic Alumni

Oh and in a general way, I love it, great work guys. :)

soloyo

Thanks!

voodazz

I really love this concept and composition and I also like the rough sketch quality here. I would clean it up enough to were it is polished, but still has that handrawn effect. It might look extra cute if the little clown is imitating the pose of his dad with that same happy face. Oh and it's also nice to see clowns depicted in a positive light since it seems like it's popular to label clowns evil or creepy these days. :P

soloyo

updated!

Pez Banana

Lines and inks are finished... just need to finish the spare shoes that go in the lower part of the composition to balance things a bit.

v.calahan's suggestion is good: we won't be using blacks but instead brown for the lines.

Colors... some people would like bright colors, others like the mute palette. Experimenting with colors will be relatively easy, i think, so we might see both and choose whichever works best on a tee.

I personally would like muted colors, though not as pastel and light as in the original sketch.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and support :)

soloyo
Pez Banana said:

Lines and inks are finished... just need to finish the spare shoes that go in the lower part of the composition to balance things a bit.

v.calahan's suggestion is good: we won't be using blacks but instead brown for the lines.

Colors... some people would like bright colors, others like the mute palette. Experimenting with colors will be relatively easy, i think, so we might see both and choose whichever works best on a tee.

I personally would like muted colors, though not as pastel and light as in the original sketch.

Thanks to everyone for the feedback and support :)

Muted colors!

Dreamspace

The latest one looks awesome looking forward for the color work.

digsy
digsy profile pic Alumni

yep, muted colours!

No account?
Join Us