Close
One second...

Too offensive or necessary for the joke?

Hi all

This my first design and I think it's a goodie. Need your help though. The big question is:

Should I get rid of the flag as it's not needed for the joke to work and the controversy of the image diminishes from the joke? Or is it necessary and adds to the impact and the humour? Could change it to a flag of a fish in a similar style for a comparable effect??

http://tinyurl.com/bnetvc5

Thanks for you help and all feedback welcome

David

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Manupix
3 designs submitted - Score now!

Terrible joke. Sorry.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

I don't think this is appropriate.

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

needs more offense

what shows did you write for?

Daviisilva

hahah things like this won't be printed anywhere... but try here! who knows!

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

do something else please.

ICREATENOVELTY

Yeah, you should get rid of it, exactly for the reasons you stated. I think the joke loses any taste it has when you put the swastika in it. If you're dying to have something else, though, you could raise his fin in a salute.

davidhellard

Thanks for all of the feedback so far and sorry if you've taken offense, really not the intention, but I realise it's an understandable delicate subject.

Have taken off the flag and switched it to a dolphin, think it still works, will post shortly.

@Daviisilva, is that a hoax? unbelievable?

@Spacesick Not sure you'd know the shows, as UK based and a lot of them didn't make it out of development, but main ones were Yes/No Gameshow, Flipside, Judgement Day shows uncommissioned that I thought were class were Fright Club, Gay for pay, ....

To try and settle people's nerves about the intent, the t-shirt is meant to bring a smile in the same way this does http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/newstopics/howaboutthat/8414149/House-that-looks-like-Hitler-catches-eye-of-Twitter-users.html

Panda_Pops

ha ha, nice, good juxtapose, would definitely change the flag, as some people get blinded by it and can no longer think logically or see humor in anything associated with it (see comments above.)

davidhellard

Right changed the flag to a dolphin, what do you think?

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

i don't find pictures of hitler inherently offensive, but it's a really shitty pun.

davidhellard

Happy with the pun, maybe not your taste, but definitely works well, as so obvious, but unexpected, as uses the a in the pun

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Pretty much anything Hitler and comedy related will not be socially acceptable for now or the foreseeable future. The art is good but I also agree the pun is a stretch anyway.

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

"Finally got it published?" you make it sound like a piece of sublime underground artwork. It hasn't been published, you've uploaded it to society 6.

taz-pie

nope. it is still a pile of shit.

[+duracell-]

I dont know how many Jews died during the holocaust but it was like... a lot. There is nothing funny about that. Reality check time - no one is going to buy your shitty Adolf Dolphin. Certainly not here. Get some help.

staff delete that society6 link please

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

This guy is full of class

mip1980
mip1980 profile pic Alumni

oh dear

jaywalkergraphics
jaywalkergraphics profile pic Alumni

I honestly [honestly!] don't get what's funny about it. Because Adolf sounds like "a dolphin"? Things sound like things? I dunno, man, the kids are really into some different stuff these days.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

Next up, a grape that's raping somebody, because grape = rape, right? SO FUNNY.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

then the guy with the raping grape can buy the 'I'm with Sex Offender' tee for his best buddy, and they're all set for long walks on the beach :)

don't feed it, guys.

tronbeardsley
tronbeardsley profile pic Alumni

So then it's probably safe to assume my Moose-olini design will also be rejected.

celandinestern
tronbeardsley said:

So then it's probably safe to assume my Moose-olini design will also be rejected.

omgawd that is genius.

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

I get it.

Because Hitler loved dolphins so much.

rickyarianto

Here...

I actually didnt get it without the explanation...

taz-pie

THE JOKE IS HITLOLPHIN, AMIRITE?

jaywalkergraphics
TheInfamousBaka said:

Next up, a grape that's raping somebody, because grape = rape, right? SO FUNNY.

Bingo.

jaywalkergraphics
tronbeardsley said:

FTW.

Twiggyhall
jaywalkergraphics said:
tronbeardsley said:

FTW.

LMAO

pier25

I think the illustration is awesome (visually), but I don't see many people getting the pun or even wearing a shirt with Hitler on it... even transformed as a dolphin.

One could even argument your design is propaganda, even if you think it's just a joke. :P

pier25
tronbeardsley said:

Genius!

Abstract Matter

What the fuck...

I'm all for offensive, across the line humor right, but I don't think shirts are the place for it. You can only really make jokes like that in certain company, and seeing as a shirt is going to be seen by everyone you walk by every day you wear it, it's a good idea to keep it clean. I know most people my age (18) would just love to go round (and do) in shirts with massive expletives written on them, but it's not in good taste and more relevantly it just isn't funny.

Use your talent on something more cool and tasteful that most people wouldn't be ashamed to wear! There are violent/over the line/risque shirts on Threadless but they are subtle, funny or non offensive. Just think a little more about who is going to like your design, and if those kinds of people are included in Threadless' demographic.

FoodStampDavis
FoodStampDavis profile pic Alumni

Ugh. Hitler jokes. It's offensively unfunny is all. They hackiest and tamest way to try to appear "edgy." All it was good for was to set up the Moose-olini joke.

Musarter
foodstampdavis said:

Ugh. Hitler jokes. It's offensively unfunny is all. They hackiest and tamest way to try to appear "edgy." All it was good for was to set up the Moose-olini joke.

I almost made gadhafi/daffy duck design once. A bit tasteless, and yeah, decided against it.

celandinestern
foodstampdavis said:

honestly it was worth it for the moose-olini :D I'm still laughing.

taz-pie

I kinda liked hiltolphin.

SYKE!

amirite, guise?

taz-pie

Quick! Someone do a blatantly homophobic Winnie the Pooh drawing, and call it

wait for it

VLADIMIR POOHTIN

jaywalkergraphics
celandinestern said:
foodstampdavis said:

honestly it was worth it for the moose-olini :D I'm still laughing.

Moose-olini is prepped for cultural icon status, honestly, given the right PR.

Morkki

I'm waiting for Hello Ku Klux Kitty

Manupix
3 designs submitted - Score now!

My Little PolPotNy

wait

look who's doing them tasteless jokes now

taz-pie

JESUS WAS BLACK

taz-pie

AND GAY

Musarter

Or Genghis King Kong . . . oh wait a minute, that might actually make a good tee. Statute of limitations has expired on that tyrant.

Morkki

I'm not actually really offended by Hitler jokes, as long as they're demeaning the dude, not glorifying him. Adolphin is... absurd. Not much more than a far fetched pun. Can't see that as praising Hitler really. Still, I'd personally rather not wear anything that's likely to get my ass kicked. Like that Sex Offender shirt. Really? I mean, really? Try wearing that to a pub and see if you can get out with all your teeth intact.

Malhat06
Malhat06 profile pic Alumni

Tasteless... but the thread is pretty funny. haha My Little PolPot Pony and Gadaffi Duck are two of my favorites.

vectored_life

I like dolphins...don't care to much for Hitler...see where this is going?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us