Close
One second...

Quoting freelance illustration jobs = WORST

Freelancers, I need your advice...

Ive been asked to do some tshirt illustration for a div 1 college basketball team in NJ. Only being asked to do 1 design for now, but its meant for a series of 5 shirts that will be sold as part of a package deal. I HATE coming up with estimates. Don't want to ask for too much, but also want to get paid fairly. I don't do a ton of work like this, so never sure Im asking the right price. Anyone care to offer what they think is a fair asking price? Keep in mind, these schools really don't have a lot of money to spend on marketing. This particular team is in a BCS conference, but lets just say they aren't at the level of Syracuse. Shirts would be sold through school site and book store, probably arena as well.

thanks!

Watch this
louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

figure out a price u would be comfortable working for. thats how i've managed to do it anyway. then youve got nothing to regret.

bennyd302
bennyd302 profile pic Alumni

Do you pad your initial estimate knowing pretty much every client is going to try and low ball?

robotwaste

Ask for $2000 plus $250 credit you can use in their campus stores.

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

yeah it's really stressful starting out. only after a few successes and failures do you really know what the job is gonna take and what you deserve for it. at that point if a potential client can't match your budget then that's that, no big deal, on to the next one (hopefully).

spacesick

yeah it's really stressful starting out. only after a few successes and failures do you really know what the job is gonna take and what you deserve for it. at that point if a potential client can't match your budget then that's that, no big deal, on to the next one (hopefully).

spacesick

ask for free concessions for a year

AlanBao
AlanBao profile pic Alumni
robotwaste said:

Ask for $2000 plus $250 credit you can use in their campus stores.

Hahahahaha

bennyd302

thanks spacesick... its also tough cus Im a fan of the team, so I actually want to do the project

louisroskosch
louisroskosch profile pic Alumni

lol at robotwaste!

hmm to be honest nobody has turned any down yet, nobody has asked me to lower the price. even one guy who first e-mailed me asking to do a single drawing for like $2 or something and i then told him how about £70? i didnt do it anyway cus he kept asking for ridiculously detailed stuff but still i was surprised he accepted the amount.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

I would personally ask myself how long each shirt will take to create. You have done enough shirt design to know about how long it takes to do a single design with a specific detail level. Then I would calculate a price based on a per hour rate you find acceptable. Finally I would add some extra hours for unforeseen circumstances. Add up the price by hour and give them the price.

bennyd302

yea the hourly thing makes sense. sometimes have to consider the client and use of the artwork as well tho.

No account?
Join Us