Close
One second...

Copyright Infringement

I live in Brisbane and went to the local South Bank Markets this Saturday past and have only just noticed a stall called "Thread Head" or something similar. It's a blatant rip off of Threadless and features shirts printed undoubtedly on some wholesale t-shirt brand with Threadless designs. Within five seconds I spotted Dark Side of the Moon, Lions Are Smarter Than I Am, W.T.F? and many others.

Now, I've never "blown the whistle" nor have I really cared very much about copyright infringement (which is what I believe this is? I'm obviously not a lawyer) but this seriously rustled my jimmies.

Spoon fed:
Is there something I, or someone can do about this?
Should something be done about this?

Watch this
DZA420

Oh wait, also I have no idea if they have gotten the artists permission to print the designs, I guess I just assumed they didn't. This could be a major oversight haha.

DZA420

Website found:

"Currently we do not design or print our own tee's, but source them from other very talented and creative people from around the world"

Does this mean they have permission?

http://www.threadhead.com.au/

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni

threadless owns the copyrights to apparel designs, i doubt the artists have given them permission in any case. you should alert the threadstaff, unless this is some strange franchise i have no idea of...

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

If a design has been sold to Threadless, the artist can't give a permission to others to print it as a shirt. They're most likely ripoffs.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

Yeah... looking at their store photos in facebook there are several Threadless designs that obviously don't have the Threadless neck print. There's Glennz's Calling Home and David T's Dog Fight among others.

DZA420

Oh sorry I didn't see these replies! Thanks guys.

I'll let the Threadstaff know.

Goldendust

Hmm, I'm in Brisbane too... Maybe I should pop to Southbank and have a look when the markets are on. It seems their website is down at present... Something is certainly not right here.

Goldendust

Definitely let the threadstaff know, btw... Did you get any photos?

DZA420

Oh snap, maybe they are feeling the heat, I sent them a few e-mails. I didn't get any! Bummer I'm not very sleuth-like.

DZA420

I received a reply:

I believe your concern refer's to the below abstract pulled from our homepage:

Currently we do not design or print our own tee's, but source them from other very talented and creative people from around the world.

The reference made to 'sourcing' our shirts from other talented and creative people refers to the whole garment and not the individual designs. We buy tshirts at a wholesale price from dozens of Tshirt companies around the world including America, England, Sweden, Japan, China and Thailand. We do NOT print any of these designs,

DZA420

You can apply to become a Threadless retailer I believe? Maybe they did that.

I'm not entirely convinced, the shirts didn't look to be of Threadless quality, and they had placed their own tags onto the shirts.

I'll get a closer look when I can.

radiomode
radiomode profile pic Alumni
3 designs submitted - Score now!

It basically says "You can't blame me for copyright thing, since I bought these t-shirts wholesale from various companies, which probably ripped the designs off from Threadless. It's clearly not my fault that the designs are stolen."

Manupix

You can apply to become a Threadless retailer I believe? Yes However the tag removing business sounds fishy, and you should definitely email staff.

DZA420

Thank errbodeh! I emailed Threadless and they said they'd pass it on to their legal team, so I guess it's in their capable hands now.

^.^

Jordan_Bender
Jordan_Bender profile pic Alumni
7 designs submitted - Score now!

Look at the site now. I think the issue has been fixed!

No account?
Join Us