Close
One second...

Happy Halloween!!

Gettin ready for Halloween 2013

Here's my tribute to the ultimate Threadless Tee "Funkalicious" by Christopher Golebiowski.
I still have some detailing work to do but I wanted to share my progress so far.

Thanks for checking it out :)

Here it is lit up.

Here's some others from my collection.

The Shining

The Great Pumpkin

The Exorcist

The Evil Dead

Poltergeist

Jaws

Halloween

Friday the 13th

Godzilla

Carousel (I hang it from a spinning motor to give it life)

Self Portrait

Here's the stencil I created for Pennywise from "It"

Here's what it looks like carved

Here's a rough of it lit until I get a better pic.

Next up: Capatain Spaulding from "The Devil's Rejects"

1. Tape your stencil to the pumpkin
2. I use a fine point thread ripper to transfer the image to the pumpkin.
3. Once you've traced the whole image, remove the stencil.

4. To keep the edges of the white areas sharp I start by using an Xacto knife the cut along the dotted lines and pick out the areas closest to the edge of the white areas.
5. Once you have all the detail areas exposed, you're ready for the dremel.
6. Using the dremel, peel away all the areas that will have light shining through.
7. Use a fine point attachment to carve out where you want full light shining through (The eyes and teeth on this design)

8. Once it's fully carved, pop a light in..
9. Check to see if you're happy with it. If not, keep chipping away

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
macdoodle
1 design submitted - Score now!

My theme this year is clowns. Pennywise from "It", the Joker, Captain Spaulding and maybe one form Killer Klowns From Outer Space...

littlem

OMG!!! fantastic!!!

jodabaum

woah killer stuff!!

macdoodle

I'm wicked psyched! I got a Great Dane pup yesterday and he's too friggin cute!

jodabaum

^ awesome I just got a shiba inu puppy two months ago! the first month is tough but they get easier!

NomadSlim

These are sweet!

macdoodle

^ Thanks man

@jodabaum. Shibas are sooo cute!

WednesdayCat

daaaaaaaaaaaaang nice!

ir0cko

wooooooooooooow

macdoodle

Just dusted off the carving tools and started working on my next pumpkin. I'll post it up here when complete...

jodabaum

now I really want to carve a pumpkin... never done the foam ones before.. any tips???

macdoodle

I'll use this template as an example. It's not my work but it is available on fantasypumpkins.com for purchase.

First I print out my template and tape it to the pumpkin.

I transfer the design to the pumpkin by poking along the lines of the design with a safety pin.

Using an xacto knife I cut out the areas that full light will shine through (the white areas)

Using my dremel tool I grind down the areas where I want shade (grey areas) depending on how much light you want to shine through you can grind as much of the pumkin as you like.

The black areas on the template are where you leave the skin on the pumpkin.

Hope this was helpful. :)

macdoodle

On closer inspection of this template I discovered that it would'nt work as I described it as there are areas within the white that would fall off if you followed my instructions. For example, in his ears, you would have to have some of the grey or black area modified so it all touches. Otherwise, if you completely cut out the white area, there would be nothing to support those little details.

I hope that makes sense...

macdoodle

Im doing a step by step process of my latest design so I will add it in to this blawg later...

celandinestern

this blog is so cool!!! but foam pumpkins? isn't the point of pumpkin carving to carve pumpkin pumpkins? or am I just horribly old fashioned? :)))

Over here pumpkin carving is not really a thing but I tried one year, with mixed results. it was fun to do certainly. Might take it up again when the kid is bigger and we can have fun with it together.

macdoodle

Im definitely all for real pumpkins. They are easier to work with and are better for the environment if you are into composting etc...but once you carve them they are good for only about a week under the best conditions. With the foam pumpkins, they last for years and all that work you put into them doesn't go to waste.

jodabaum

so you inspired me to do my own, did one of my dog. It came out ok.. but it was really tough to cut curves in this foam. Also I only had one dremel tip and it wasn't that fine tipped, so that sucked, but I'm happy with the way it came out! What kind of lights are you using inside, yours look soo bright i have a small cheap little LED, and it barely shines through the shaved areas, so I had to shave them down realllly thing....

macdoodle

I think that came out amazing!! So much better than my first attempt!

I use an LED light also but it has four lights that flicker to give it a candle effect. I got them at the same arts and crafts store that I bought the pumpkins at (Michaels). I do shave mine down pretty thin to make the light shine through more.

macdoodle

I totally forgat aboot this blag. I just dusted off the pumpkin carvin stuff to get ready for this year

AnthonyMoore

Hey, these are awesome! Get carving, so I can see more of those skills. ahha

macdoodle

Thanks man! I'm working on my next one, but it takes a couple of days...stay tuned :D

Twiggyhall

sooooooo awesome :D

macdoodle

:)

I know I'm way early, but I have few more to do before the big day...

macdoodle

:)

I know I'm way early, but I have few more to do before the big day...

Christina.A.art

hello macdoodle very impressive... i have never carved into a foam pumpkin before... Can't wait to see some of your new carvings :)

BeanePod

That's one sassy punkin I saw up dere ;)

macdoodle
Christina.A.art said:

hello macdoodle very impressive... i have never carved into a foam pumpkin before... Can't wait to see some of your new carvings :)

Thanks :) I'm going to try and do more process on the next one if anyone's curious to see how I do it.

BeanePod said:

That's one sassy punkin I saw up dere ;)

Guuurrl!!

macdoodle
soloyo said:

foam pumpkins???

Yes. Or "extruded polystyrene" if you wanna get technical ;)

FoodStampDavis

That self-portrait is amazing - especially considering I just went on Facebook and found this picture of you:

FoodStampDavis

That self-portrait is amazing - especially considering I just went on Facebook and found this picture of you:

macdoodle
soloyo said:

foam pumpkins???

Yes. Or "extruded polystyrene gourds" if you wanna get technical. :)

macdoodle

Yes. Or "extruded polystyrene gourds" if you wanna get technical :)

macdoodle
foodstampdavis said:

LOLOLO! I love my kitchen!!

macdoodle

Here's a pic of me that you may have missed circa Halloween 2008...true story u_u

macdoodle

I'm looking to do a Threadless iconic carving and wanted to check out Cat Piss Face to see if it's viable. Any other suggestions would also be considered. Stuff along the lines of "Cat Piss Face" or "British T Rex" are the kind of things I'm looking to do.

celandinestern

woah these are all awsum!! also did I read right that they aren't actual pumpkins? doesn't that kinda kill the fun?

taz-pie

you gotta do funkalicious. it would look great!

BeanePod
macdoodle said:

Here's a pic of me that you may have missed circa Halloween 2008...true story u_u

whoa.....groove really is in the heart...

macdoodle
BeanePod said:
macdoodle said:

I got SO drunk this night. So many tumbles!!

taz-pie said:

you gotta do funkalicious. it would look great!

That was the first design that popped into my head but then I wanted to try for the total opposite of Funkalicious. I wanted to go with classic Threadless failures (excluding my own designs of course).

celandinestern said:

woah these are all awsum!! also did I read right that they aren't actual pumpkins? doesn't that kinda kill the fun?

I cant stand pumpkin guts...and eveyone saying "Oooo, save the seeds and roast them! They're sooo good!" Yuck :)

Twiggyhall
BeanePod said:
macdoodle said:

deeee-gorgeous!!!!

celandinestern

hahhaha I hear ya, they are gross :D And pumpkins are so bloody tough to cut.

macdoodle
Twiggyhall said:
BeanePod said:
macdoodle said:

deeee-gorgeous!!!!

Thanks...I mean spanks, my secret is spanks :P

I just printed up a Funkalicious and think I'll give it a go.

Twiggyhall
macdoodle said:
Twiggyhall said:
BeanePod said:
macdoodle said:

deeee-gorgeous!!!!

Thanks...I mean spanks, my secret is spanks :P

I just printed up a Funkalicious and think I'll give it a go.

I own enough versions of Spanks to open my own bodyshaping lingerie boutique...

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?