Close
One second...

Hair & Makeup

Ladies (and/or gentlemen), what sort of makeup & styling products do you use? I've never really worn makeup at all or done anything interesting with hair, but I'm thinking I might wanna look not so sickly Irish gross during the everlasting winter this year.

Also, preemptively, fuck you Jeff.

Watch this
the czar

Real lol at fu Jeff. Sorry I'm no help

jeffreyg
jeffreyg profile pic Staff

lol damnit

Chipmnk

South Korean men use a makeup. I'm not one of those people.

The only stuff I put on my face is benzoyl peroxide and some lotion. I'll rarely put styling wax in my hair, but I usually just rely on my natural oils.

Chipmnk

Sometimes I put chapstick on my lips.

[+duracell-]

i just take a shower, put on some old spice deodorant, point at the mirror & make duck lips.. and im good ta go

iPear

I use white rain, all day every day, white rain body wash white rain shampoo white rain gel white rain foot pad white rain stool softener white rain deoderant white rain toothpaste white rain boxers white rain microwave.

[+duracell-]

Oh yeah, my wife buys that Bath & Body Works shower gel bullshit. We have like a lifetime supply.. so I just grab any random scent out of the closet.

Steve The Great

I wish it were cool to smell all flowery and shit like a girl. Girl smelling things are so much more interesting.

Twiggyhall

lol @ all guys responding so far

I don't use any styling products on my hair on a daily basis, but if I'm going out & doing a fancy style or curling it and want it to stay put, I'll use a little hairspray. I use Herbal Essences because it's cheap and it smells pretty good for a hairspray.

I like wearing make-up and feel that I kinda need it as I get older. I have super dark circles under my eyes, always have, so I throw some under-eye concealer stuff on there and then lightly dust my whole face with a translucent powder. I'm lucky that I've never had to deal with acne, so I don't bother with any other concealer or face make-up.

Then I like to glam it up with my eyes. I use mascara, a smokey purple eyeshadow and do a 60's cat-eye style with black eyeliner.

I usually wear lipstick to work & when I go out and it's usually a shade of red.

You are lucky to be naturally pretty and have great hair, Miss Becca, so I don't think you need to change up your routine unless you want to. I know it can be fun to change it up and try new things sometimes :)

[+duracell-]

hmm lets see.. my current scent is Deep Aqua .."the pure and refreshing fragrance of ocean drenched flowers inspired by a beautiful world underwater". Basically I smell like sea water. Pretty manly if you ask me.

Twiggyhall

I'm addicted to good smelling shower gels. I usually have at least 4 different kinds on hand at any given time.

Currently, I have a couple from Victoria's Secret that I really like - you should try them, Chad. One is called "Tease" and the other is called "Bombshell"

jet approves

Mascara and eyeliner, some mineral foundation and blush if I have time. I also started using this curling mousse in my hair because it gives it texture, though it doesn't curl.

jet approves

Also, face moisturizer (with spf) every day. Body lotion on days I shave or in the winter.

the czar

Bath & body works make those great foaming hand soaps. Warm vanilla sugar smells so good damnit

taz-pie

i have only worn makeup about 4 times in my life. i feel like a freak and touch my face too often. i kinda look like shit without it though. i can't win.

tragos

ahaha. Thanks for all the advice, bros.

Goldendust

I think this is the longest period in my life where I've worn makeup consistently. It's only ever mascara and eyeshadow, but I've been putting it on for work and haven't missed a day since I started. One of my eyes is really bad so 50% of my makeup is done by feeling... Haha. I normally get sick of putting it on every day but so far I'm still bothering.

As for my hair, I can't make it do anything so I just don't try. It's dead straight and likes to be that way, so I try to work with it. I'm sure if I knew what I was doing that it could look pretty good and unboring... But I don't.

taz-pie

i don't even moisturize. water only on my face. i wear no jewellery/ piercings/ tatoos/ fancy perfumes. only me and deodorant mang.

gosh i fail at girl.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

I wish I could figure out some kind of good hair product. My hair does weird things. Mostly I just braid or put it up because of the weird things it does.

I'll probably never be one of those girls who consistently wears make-up, but it's fun now and then.

Goldendust

I think my husband may have more facial care products than I do. I use his face wash as makeup remover... It works really well!

I always forget to put on jewellery. It's kind of distracting anyway, I always end up fiddling with it :P

squintygirl

Apparently, my hair is easily style-able, just not by me. My hands are idiots when it comes to that. As for make-up, I'll usually wear some kind of foundation to cover up my nasty acne scars, and maybe some eyeliner and mascara. Any more than that and it's diminishing returns. My hands are idiots when it comes to that, too. I usually end up looking like I made myself up in the dark.

WarDrobeInSpareOom

I think there should be a fourth hair type: curly, wavy, straight, and DeeAnn.

My hair likes to do this especially fun thing where 60% of it flips up like That Girl.

Which would be adorable, except that then 10% of it flips under, 10% of it corkscrews, and 20% is completely straight.

SJ27

I cut my own hair yesterday.

celandinestern

Nuthin. I totally fail at Girl. I don't even own a comb.

celandinestern

ok no, I have been known to apply lip gloss from time to time. That's it really. I buy eye shadow and glitter and nail polish and stuff thinking it would be fun to use and then I never do and it dies and I throw it out. Been doing that my whole life.

when I get really old and mottled and pruney-looking I'll have to look into all that stuff. Like when you say mineral foundation I'm imagining a dude with a pickaxe hacking it out of a rock.

iPear

Here's a cool style:

wear button down shirts with your basketball shorts, all of your boyfriends will say yes to dates.

pyr4lis

I'm a product nut. I love make up :D but don't go overboard. I've freckles on my face so I have to go super light or it will look like a mask.

Hair product for styling I love Bumble & Bumble products. They have this spray on "styling lotion" that smells great and seals and protects hair. The curl creme is great and enhances any bit of natural curl in the hair.

I also am hooked on Kerastase products. They tend to be pricey but they're amazingly good and smell divine. I like the Kerastase Nutritive Oleo-Relax Serum for straight blow outs. My hair is baby fine and pretty straight. This keeps the wispy fly aways in check. :) And I'd use the Kerastase Chroma Reflect creme every day if it was so pricey. It's just a great daily protection base that helps my color last longer. hehe I'm a guilty dye addict.

Make up I look for moisturizer with a tint. A couple of dabs of concealer to hide the dark bags under my eyes that developed in college and never went away :/ Then dust on a light face powder like bare minerals or something to that nature. Just light and sheer. Stila makes a great creamy eyeliner perfect for smudging. They're mascara is pretty nice too. I wear contacts and am pretty sensitive to mascara. (You need to replace this every few months btw.. mascara DOES go bad)

I like the maybelline super stay 24hr lipstick.. That shit stays on no matter what. I've fallen asleep with it on and woken up with it still there :P

Goldendust

Nail polish is something I love but don't often get around to putting it on. I left my collection behind when I moved countries but I'm planning on replacing it all with OPI cause it's way cheaper here.

Rambunkcious

if you are new to make-up start simple with foundation, simple eye shadow or none, mascara and some tinted lip gloss some of my everyday simple favorites are Neutrogena oil free foundation, Full n Soft maybelline mascara, and Burt Bees colored lip balms. If you want more fancy stuff lemme know and I can point you in that direction as well

Rambunkcious

oh also for the ladies, BEST CONCEALER EVERRR is Boing by Benefit! love this stuff its great for spots or for under eye coverup so many uses

cococosy

I'm a total make-up addict! Could give you a lot of product suggestions, but maybe it's better to start at the basics. Youtube tutorials are the best for that :) I'd suggest looking up Lisa Eldrige & Pixiwoo.

If you're as pale as I am.. drugstore foundations are often way too dark. Like wearing a pancake on your face. MAC Cosmetics has colors for very pale (#ffffff white) people, that's why I love them.

cococosy

@heykimby OPI! What do you pay for a bottle over there? It's too bad they're crazy expensive here. Sinful colors is also great (and very cheap), sometimes even better then OPI when it comes to staying power :)

tragos

I'm on the pale side & lots of freckles mean I'm super tentative about makeup. The only thing I've ever really done is mascara. Youtube is a great idea, I'll check those out.

ALSO what are hair styling products you like that don't make your hair all crispy and weird?

Goldendust

Kim, it's about $16AUD, which is roughly the same as American dollars... It seems like a good deal to me :)

pyr4lis

Eeep! $16 a bottle? I pay $9 / bottle in the US I like Julep nail polish myself but it's a small company and they don't offer much for international shoppers.

TheInfamousBaka

I'm 26 and I just started wearing makeup about a year ago.

What works for me is tinted moisturizer and them some bronzer/blush. I use Lancome tinted moisturizer, which is a great product. A bit expensive... but honestly if you're transitioning from not wearing makeup to maybe occasionally wearing it, it will last you quite a while. I still have my original bottle I got. Also, Sephora lipstick is the best! It lasts forever and they have a lot of really great shades. They have wonderful liquid eyeliner as well. :-D Urban Decay has great eye shadow palettes, which I haven't quite worked up to yet.

I have a hard time putting eye shadow on and not feeling like a hooker/clown because I'm just not used to seeing it on my face. So far lipsticks and blush are my favorite. Mascara is evil, regardless of brand. Never looks like it does in the damned commercials, just bleh.

No account?