Close
One second...

drawing advices - subbed. thanks yall

Original blog:

I'm home sick from the day job with a sinus infection, YAY, so here's yet another silly drawing I've been working on.
ALSO, since my day will be spent on the couch surfing threadless and watching the price is right, feel free to post links to your WIP blog, I'd be happy to return the favor.

SO, the lightpost with the gumball/lightbulbs inside is NOT done. Just throwing that out there.

EDIT: Here it is with some suggestions from all y'all.

Here is sans background besides stars.

Here is with sort of a muted silhouette background

Here is with a two tone background, which I like but am feeling looks like it might be competing too much with lamp post.

I still also need to add a street and a small amount of texture at the bottom. My original idea was to add silhouettes of a crowd of robots behind these two - would that be better? I was having trouble pulling that off without being distracting, though. Thoughts??

Watch this
woo_07

The muted silhouette works better for me. You want the focus to remain in the foreground and I think the singular silhouette gets the idea across perfectly.

The only thing I question is the glow around the lights, could this be made more graphic by using half-tones so it's more in keeping with the rest of the image.

Really nice image though!

jillustration
jillustration profile pic Alumni

yes, the glow will be half toned eventually. I've been working with the bots mainly up till this point but it will be a halftoney graphic glow.

jillustration

anyone else? thoughts?

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I like the muted background one most. I think more background robots could be great, perhaps also in the muted silhouette style, and distressed enough to not crowd the scene. Looks sweet!

Manupix

Muted bg if any, even more so than the present muted version. Horizon level is inconsistent with the lamppost base perspective: it should be higher, at least around the blue robot's head (not so great for composition I guess). That horizon is too much of a straight line anyway. Having a (muted) crowd of robots instead / in front could alleviate both problems. Everything in the foreground looks ace =)

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Love the detail on the bubble post, it's awesome. Muted background, definitely!

What's the premise behind this? Just curious. :-)

Manupix

Negative space crowd of robots in front of skyline =)

jillustration

oooo manupix i think you have it :D I am going to watch some more trash tv and doodle it in when I feel a bit better, hopefully tomorrow. If it works out AND it prints, I will owe you a copy :)

Baka, the premise is... a silly idea i had that light posts sorta look like gumball machines. I doodled it in my sketchbook and put it away for about 2 months until for some reason my brain randomly said to me hey! gumballs could be same shape as lightbulbs!!! and they glow! So then who would be buying those, since it is a vending machine? Robots, of course, since they have lightbulbs!!! I think of some pretty silly ideas when my brain decides to cooperate :)

jillustration

I also think robot with 4 eyes needs some blue stripe decoration. Also some more art deco buildings in the background yay.

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Love it! Didn't know if it was a reference that I didn't get or if it was 100% your brain. Your brain is awesome. :-D Can't wait to see further progress on this.

jillustration

(need to finish the 2 bots on the right, the lightpost, and the ground)

silverhare
silverhare profile pic Alumni

Yay, crowd of robots! I loved that idea.

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

topmost version looks most excellent. I might distress the robot army a tad though.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

^ I agree. It will add more atmosphere in a good way. Great drawing and design, by the way.

jillustration

Yes, I think some more distressing is definitely in order.

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Thanks for showing me a preview of your design back here in Chicago a coupe of weeks ago....

Did you ever got my e-mail ( the one I sent you years ago, LOL) ?

silverhare
silverhare profile pic Alumni

Yay! It looks great.

No account?
Join Us