Polyploidy and seedlessness

• by lizz612
  • posted Dec 07, 2006
  • 23 Comments

Firstly I can't tell you exactly why the water mellons are crying, maybe its about seedless babies, maybe its about not having babies, I don't know.

What I can tell you is why bananas are seedless and how seedless water mellons are made. Its not genetic enginering in the "insert genes from something else, now my strawberries glow in the dark" kind of way. Seedless fruit is caused by having an od number of sets of chromosomes. This causes the division of cells into gamestes (unfertilized eggs or spermies) to fail. These failed gametes are the little balck specks in bananas and white shrived things in seedless water mellons. Polyploidy is naturally occuring, but we humans are the ones who cultivate it.

For more information, consult your nearest biologist, or Wikipedia.

That said, I really want this shirt. Congrats to the designer.

Watch this
smellslikeupdog

That. Is. AWESOME.
Hurray for polyploidy! Poor seedless watermelon.
I must have this shirt too.

eille08

i think it's supposed to be "gametes", not "gamestes"....

Mm, gotta love wikipedia.

hadaloo

Haha, this made me laugh!

katoon

i was about to start this blog and then discovered that it already existed.

rudra

seedless watermelons aren't really seedless

and the seeds i found in a seedless white watermelon - turned into a very robust 10ft diameter fruit-bearing watermelon plant

which totally kicked the ass of my wimpy little store-bought regular watermelon

unfortunately, it was planted really late - and the cold is getting the better of it now :(

Laborpsus

yey for bio majors

I am also a Biochem student.

katoon

ruing fun? more like learning about why fun is so fun...which is fun in itself.

I'm such a nerd...

Laborpsus

d3d, I'd wear that.

type tee sub?

derangeddaoist

My roommate's definitely biochem, and I remember once he was talking about "backside attack" and I thought it sounded rather naughty.

newlanguage

Haa haa haa yeah that's the best part of orgo 1.

newlanguage

"Because a productive collision is a collision in which the nucleophile hits the carbon side opposite the side bonded to the leaving group, the carbon is said to undergo back-side attack. Why does the nucleophile attack from the back side? The simplest explanation is that the leaving group blocks the approach of the nucleophile to the front side of the molecule."

Laborpsus

WHAT?

TAKE THAT BACK, SIR

soulDELAY

"backside attack", "nuclophiles"... ahhh.... SN1! or was it SN2? blah no one cares for such mechanisms [at least i don't...]. blah finals suck. i just had my organic final yesterday....

aaaand, today, was my genetics final! wooh...
those huge bananas, and other overly large fruit are ... TRIPOLOIDS!? :D har... i can't remember anything already.

go science! ...o_O

Pauls_Car

Sorry I'm only an Aerospace Enigneer. can't quite share in the love of biology.

Laborpsus

organic?

nooooooooooooo

seizure

that is a forbidden word in this here parts

derangeddaoist

A premed majoring in biochem is like lighting a candle with a blowtorch.

ecky_ducky

Psychology is the best. They have terms like 'social loafing.' Bread. Lol.

Vespucci

polyploidy (if i remember correctly) is also one of the reasons why your weed is like twenty times more fun than your mommy and daddy's weed was. does that still qualify as science ruining fun?

No account?
Join Us