Close
One second...

Is this a factor in Threadless voting?

I recently heard about a study that was done on the popularity of music. Basically the study had a list of songs and asked a group of people to rate the songs and download the ones they liked. The study found that there was much less diversity of opinion in the voting when the scores and number of downloads were visible to the voters - songs with high scores were subsequently more likely to be voted up and downloaded more frequently. The inverse was also true. The conclusion was that there was a subconscious tendency towards consensus and group validation. It got me thinking about the revealed scores for Threadless subs, and even the number of comments being visible. Obviously there's a confounding variable for Threadless subs given that it's also a competition, but it was interesting all the same.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

I'm sure of it

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I feel it on myself in the voting, though I try to correct for it. But invariably if I see a design and glancing down I see a crapton of comments, I give it a second look even if it totally didn't impress me at first.

There are other factors as well. For instance, if the artist is a name I recognise/ get on with/ like on the forum, I'm more likely to vote high and comment. I think it can't be helped.

Also if I don't have time to go through all the subs, I'll check out what's popular because that's where most of the good stuff will be anyways. But my highest scores usually go to pieces that aren't doing all that well.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

What spacesick and celandinesern said.

(Sorry I don't really have my own opinions and just follow the crowd really).

ivanrodero

Totally true, we have a tendency to be with the majority and don't feel excluded from the community , it's a survival instinct.

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

I think this is most obvious in Atrium. You can't see the actual scores before the challenge is over but sorting entries by popularity does essentially the same thing. Subs that float to the top tend to stay at the top.

Morkki

Also Threadless Live messes things up a bit by allowing people to see the top scores before casting a vote

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

I think the whole life is one big popularity contest so unfortunately I do believe even Threadless is affected by it...

Gar0
Gar0 profile pic Alumni

Social validation is rife at Threadless, as it is everywhere else in the world.

Gar0
Gar0 profile pic Alumni

"One fundamental way that we decide what to do in a situation is to look to what others are doing or have done there. If many individuals have decided in favor of a particular idea, we are more likely to follow, because we perceive the idea to be more correct, more valid."

• Robert B. Cialdini
soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

Who cares?

votes don't mean a thing, look at the 20 highest scoring subs from the 4words or less comp. NONE OF THEM GOT PRINTED.

The Paper Crane
The Paper Crane profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Just so you know - everyone else usually 5$s all my subs

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

It's probably a factor in general but it definitely doesn't affect my own voting.

ArTrOcItY
ArTrOcItY profile pic Alumni

Nestor, even if the highest scores are not printed, rarely are the low scoring subs printed, it's always something ranging from 2.9 and up so again only popular subs are printed most of the time.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

the fact that the score isn't visible until after you vote would eliminate that urge to comply wouldn't it?

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

No, because it then becomes visible and people can change their vote then.

Morkki

I sometimes go back to a sub after voting it mediocre and seeing it has a high average. Just to check what the buzz is and if I perhaps missed something.

spacesick

I'm pizza

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

it'd be interesting if they tracked changed votes too, like a First Glance score and a Reconsidered score.

spacesick

I only vote on my friends' designs anymore. I'm a bad person.

randyotter3000
randyotter3000 profile pic Alumni
5 designs submitted - Score now!

I would reckon that people will score something higher if there are more comments or someone like alex for example has said it was cool

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

What your saying seems to be true. I think name recognition is huge here. A lot of epic designs get ignored by most of the community because so few weed through every single design. Thankfully, for the new unknown artists, Threadless does not only print the most popular designs.

Eclipse Night

This is a very interesting issue. Sometimes it has happened to me as a voter, specially when I have doubt about what to vote. I always try to correct this tendency of mine because I'm the first one to think it's unfair, but sometimes this "instinct" goes stronger. But not all the time. Hopefully I'm doing better at voting now. I really hope so. And after taking a reflect on this, I guess I will take it even more into account.

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

Voodoo Witchcraft Spells

shirtflirt

there are "other people" here?

spacesick

I'm only going to join this discussion once there's 100 comments

the czar

I don't look at comments or anything else when I score. I have kinda trained myself to just look at the image. Sometimes I surprise myself by giving a poor score to one of my favorite artists, which I see when it gets printed or when they do a promo blog.

Haragos

I don’t know who these no sex people are but I don’t like ‘em

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

Very interesting. I like being able to see my own score during voting but would prefer if voters couldn't see the score till the voting is totally closed.

I will be honest in that I've definitely been guilty of changing my vote after the score is revealed either higher or lower based on the visible score.

celandinestern

heh, i've changed my vote lower a few times after seeing something with a score that felt inflated :) but it's really seldom that I go back to correct. Mostly when I accidentally hit the wrong score button due to that stupid banner jump thing. Even then I let it slide sometimes.

I find the Atrium format helps me run through pieces without stopping to comment, look at comments, or consider anything except the picture itself. Then I go back and comment where I feel like.

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff

cool

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

Yeah I don't do it regularly but was admitting that seeing the score does have an effect.

For the atrium I HATE the sort by popular page! If you fall off the front page your sub is pretty much dead.

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

I was just about to say "alex says everything is cool" but he beat me to it in his own way, lol

celandinestern

also the bedsheets competition subs are so bad my eyes have been permanently damaged I think. I need some cold compresses or something.

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

but honestly, I wanted all these numbers and stats available, but only to the designer

alexmdc
alexmdc profile pic Staff

sometimes I say awesome so go kick rocks Ste7en hahaha

scoring every design and trying to leave comments on some of my favs sometimes doesnt leave me with a ton to say haha so I just try and say a quick thing about them

I also do feel like showing the scores affects the subs a bit

celandinestern

I often run out of comments too. Like, I like the piece and I want to bump it so I want to write something but nothing comes to mind so I'm like 'Woah!' or whatever. I'm sorry about those. I really like when I actually have a coherent opinion to express.

Haragos

I post “knyce” very much which to me is a strong russian accent of nice.

parallelish
parallelish profile pic Alumni

not a factor for my voting. i try not to notice who the artist is or how many comments the design has before i score it, but a lot of times it's easy to recognize people's styles.

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

i wish the scores weren't visible. i don't even want to see mine before it's over.

nathanwpyle at gmail.com
nathanwpyle at gmail.com profile pic Alumni

I can relate to what Lidija said about boatloads of comments up top. Also I don't look at my score until last day, unless it's a collab

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

Yes, that's right but at least the nice ones get through anyway, like Occupational Hazard by Terry Fan. Besides, you are popular anyway-so no need to worry about it! :)

KarylAnne

I feel like I'd be more comfortable if the scores and comments were only visible to the artist, even after you score the submission... also, I didn'y know that you could change votes?

Whenever I comment I try and say what is it that I like about the entry the most :P I usually run out of things to say as well though, haha.

Thomas Orrow
Thomas Orrow profile pic Alumni

I believe it's called herd mentality.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

Thomas Orrow on Aug 02 '12 at 1:23pm Yes, that's right but at least the nice ones get through anyway, like Occupational Hazard by Terry Fan. Besides, you are popular anyway-so no need to worry about it! :)

For sure Thomas. This wasn't a complaint blog or anything, I just thought it was kind of interesting. and yes, I'm so popular everyone thinks I'm my brother, lol.

shirtflirt

, I'm so popular everyone thinks I'm my brother, lol.

stares at jeffreyg

jstumpenhorst
jstumpenhorst profile pic Alumni

sonmi on Aug 02 '12 at 1:02pm i wish the scores weren't visible. i don't even want to see mine before it's over.

Sarcasticatbest

I could see it on the whole to be affecting, but I don't look at the comments before I vote unless I think it looks like something I've seen before and see if others have already made the comment, very rarely do I check the scores at all.

ellygeh
ellygeh profile pic Alumni

I agree with all of you haha.

When i have time, I usually leave comments on the stuff I like the most, no matter if it's popular or not. I will usually go back and score higher when I see a good design that I feel it should have a higher score!

And I like most of the designs so scoring for me takes FOREVER. That is one of the reasons I like promo blogs because I''ll see what you guys have been up to and then I score!

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us