Close
One second...

About to set up Society6-account - tell me how to work it!

Ok, I've registered an account, haven't been verified yet but that's coming up.
I know little to nothing about Society6 - so anything you kind folks would like to share about it would be awesome.
Like, kan the shop be intergrated into a wordpressbased homepage?
How do I get my name out there?
And anything you can think of!
Share your experiences!

Watch this
Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

Haven't sold shit . . . so can't say much.

Your work may have better luck. I watching this to see if anyone offers any good pointers.

Outlaw01

I've only sold a few things -- it seems to me that unless your work is jaw-dropping excellent, you just have to keep posting work to get sales.

inkdummy
inkdummy profile pic Alumni

Yeah, I feel a bit presumtuous for getting one (as I doubt my art would be of interest to anyone) but then again, can't hurt. If I do sell something - it's one more sale than would have occured than if I'd kept it as a .psd on my computer.

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

I’m already buying your Mothra has a print. So you already have 1 sell in the bank!

inkdummy

Also, how should you go about stuff you've made and subbed here? Post it on Society6 AFTER the 90 days, or is it OK to post it, and in case that glorious contratulatory e-mail does come - take it down?

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

My tips would be to post stuff strategically so that you build up slowly rather than just posting all at once. Get as many followers as you can, which is kind of the work part since it involves some degree of promoting other people's work and interacting with the community. Put your image on all the different products that are available - iphone case, etc. It takes quite a long time to build up any presence on the site so it takes a lot of patience and perseverance. The most important thing is consistency - always having something to post so that you don't drop off the radar. My sales are pretty good now but for a long time I sold absolutely nothing at all. You have to hit some kind of magic threshold where you have enough presence on the site, especially the sales pages for popular items which is based on both sales and promotes.

inkdummy

That's really helpful, Eric! How does one interact with the community - is there a forum, or is it just about liking/following/commenting?

quick-brown-fox
quick-brown-fox profile pic Alumni

Eric speaks the truth. I sub my stuff at the same time that it goes up for scoring and link to here. That way, some kind soul may vote for it. There are a few tumblrs who take a lot of their content from Society6 too, like this one. It all feels like a chore, but it's worth giving it a go for potential earnings, and general exposure.

quick-brown-fox

There's no forum like Threadless, but you can make posts about anything as well as sell stuff. And, as I learnt recently, Society6 do read stuff and take an interest.

inkdummy

These are awesome tips! Thank you so much!

inkdummy

Ok, one more question! How much to you set the profit-range to? What's resonable?

quick-brown-fox

I put my prices up last year to between $5 & $10 depending on size. It works out to roughly 40% of the base price. Make sure the final price is a nice round figure. Mine all end in .95. I see some silly pricing going on like $12.32. Either make it 11.95 or 12.95 it looks silly otherwise! Society6 put a post up last year about this, and they say people are more likely to buy if it's an regular looking price.

inkdummy

It's so abstract to me, thinking in dollars. It's all monoply-money to me kinda. Have no idea what's resonable, so this is really helpful!=D

Haragos

Jawesome. I'll get one on the weekend. Gotta decide what size I want.

quick-brown-fox

It's so abstract to me, thinking in dollars me too. Don't let it put you off, society6 hasn't made me rich, but a little bit extra always comes in handy, plus you've already done the hard work.

agrimony
agrimony profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

i've found a pricing which works reasonably well 17/22/30/37/55 for each size which works out to roughly 4/6/8/10/12$ profit depending on size.

also I sell about 5-10 items per month usually. what opifan said is right, the most important thing is to be consistent :)

Haragos

I do

$18 $25 $30 $35 $50

Haragos

Ordered the Mothra print! Excited!

opifan64

My prices sare similar to Haragos. I like round numbers rather than having decimals.

You should go follow a bunch of people and leave comments. It makes it far more likely that they'll follow you in return. When you have a decent number of followers (like say, a thousand) it means when you post a new design it will quickly garner a lot of promotes which in turn will help get it bumped on to the front page. When you have a design on the front page you typically pick up some more new followers (20 - 40 maybe, depending on how long it's up for). So you see, it's kind of a snowball effect: more followers = more promotes, and more promotes equals more chance at getting on the front page which equals more followers, and so on. It's work, no question. The simple fact is there are some illustrators on there that are miles better than me but because they just posted a few things and then laid back they have no presence and very few followers. No presence basically means no sales.

inkdummy

@Haragos! ZOMG! Thank you!

@Opi Yes, I'm starting to see how it works now (haven't had the time to cruise the site so much just yet) and there are some AMAZEBALLS things on S6. Better put a lock on my PP-account;) But yes, will take you advice to heart, and thank you for sharing=)

speakerine
speakerine profile pic Alumni
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Following you on S6 !!

I don't do a lot, I post my threadless designs when they're up for scoring with a link, upload it on print, canvas, iphone case and laptop skin. I "promote" and comment the things I like and "follow'' when I find a great artist (and there are a lot there !!) . I sell around $150 / 200 a month.

Haragos

I need to get more followers myself

inkdummy

This morning I receieved two e-mails from Society6, saying that two designs of mine "has been selected to be included in the Society6-shop". Does this mean that they've recieved the files OK, or something else?

Haragos

I think you get the email the first time someone buys them.. if I'm not mistaken

inkdummy

Oh, so it's a type of feature-thing? And how do sales work? Do you get notifications on them too?

opifan64

I love free shipping!

Haragos

don't pending orders only show up at the first of a month?

speakerine

nope, they're updated daily for me..

Haragos

weird

Haragos

oh wait we're talking about pending orders.. I was thinking about completed orders. lol

speakerine

ahah ok we were both right!

speakerine

ahah ok we were both right!

Antonio Pires

Hello there! This is really helpful. Meanwhile I have a question Speakerine. I don't do a lot, I post my threadless designs when they're up for scoring with a link, upload it on print, canvas, iphone case and laptop skin. - you submit a design on Threadless and right after you also submit the same design on S6 for print,canvas, etc? And this is ok with the Threadless terms?

Manupix

this is ok with the Threadless terms

It is, as long as you don't sell it on apparel (teeshirts etc).

Haragos

You can sell it on appeal as long as Threadless doesn’t print the shirt. Once Threadless chooses a design to print you shouldn’t sell it on garments. At least thats what I’ve understood.

Antonio Pires

Thanks Manupix for the clarification. I just started a about a month ago with Threadless, so this is all new to me. Thanks again!

DavidBS

Promotion = Success. A thousand followers is definitely a goal, hard but not impossible at all. Twitter, facebook, blogs, etc.... All of them are helpful to promote your products.

No account?
Join Us