Close
One second...

Hello! A few questions!

Hello!

I'm so glad I discovered threadless! This place is incredible! There is a community that helps itself whenever, competition that works healthily towards lovely goals, this place is just wonderful!

I have a few questions that I'd like to ask:

What is the usual score before a tee is chosen to become a product?

Is only one chosen every week? I got a little confused when I was looking at the products and all the submitted tees.

If a submitted design is not chosen for a product, and after I resubmit it (can you do that?) can I take it to another site and see if it does better there?

I love the critique system here, it's incredible! Do some tees expire from 'products' and stop being manufactured?

Thanks in advance!

Oh, also! When people type 5$, I know they refer to the 5 in the score, but why the dollar sign?

Watch this
Manupix

Hi! =)

All will be revealed.

5$ means an offer to buy the original artwork and all attached copyright for this fair amount of hard cash.

appleslicemusic

Thanks! First of all, thanks for your wonderful reply!

So... that's a little confusing. So, if someone comments 5$ (meaning that they are offering 5 dollars for the artwork and copyright) I can type 10$ and therefore offer more so that I get the artwork and copyright?

This is rather confusing, hahah.

Thanks for the link! I'm reading it right now!

appleslicemusic

Oh, wait the guide says this, "Vote 4 or 5 if you like it and say $5 if you would like to buy it. $2 wouldn't make much sense as it means you would give the tee a low score but you would buy it anyway. :D"

I think that clears up a few questions.

However, it still doesn't clear up the questions I wrote up in the first post. Could you help me clarify those?

Thanks!

Rachel Ray Gun
Rachel Ray Gun profile pic Alumni

Not quite. "$5" just means "I score this design 5 out of a possible 5 and I'd buy it if it's printed." There aren't any bidding wars on designs!

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

What is the usual score before a tee is chosen to become a product?

it depends. usually 3+ score is a good sign, but sometimes much smaller scores are printed if they were cool but just have less mainstream appeal.

Is only one chosen every week? I got a little confused when I was looking at the products and all the submitted tees.

If a submitted design is not chosen for a product, and after I resubmit it (can you do that?) can I take it to another site and see if it does better there?

you can resubmit it if it has been changed enough (i don't think a colorway change is enough). i think general threadless rules are if it hasn't been picked up 180 days after voting, you can take it elsewhere.

I love the critique system here, it's incredible! Do some tees expire from 'products' and stop being manufactured?

i think only ones that have had copyright infringement issues stop being made. there are still some really old ones that are reprinted time to time.

hope this helps! and welcome!

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

whoops, missed a question:

one new one is released a day, but those ones are usually chosen at least a month beforehand, i think?

SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

Usual scores are in the 3's; sometimes upper 2's (2.8, etc.)

I'd figure several get chosen each week. I believe 2 or so designs get released for sale each day of the week.

Threadless asks you to wait 90 days before submitting in another place. You can do it sooner if you just email them about it and they'll take yours down. Then just submit it wherever you want. Resubmissions would require you do alter your original somewhat first.

Tees sell out. Some get reprinted. The rest reside in the great beyond, aka the twilight zone.

Manupix

Rachel Ray Gun on Jul 09 '12 at 4:20pm Not quite. "$5" just means "I score this design 5 out of a possible 5 and I'd buy it if it's printed." There aren't any bidding wars on designs!

Lol, gotcha Rachel! XD

Sorry appleslicemusic for pulling your leg ;)

appleslicemusic

Hey! Thanks guys! So, if everyday they choose 1 to 2 shirts, how many tees are submitted everyday? I'm guessing over 20?

againstbound
againstbound profile pic Alumni

Like 17, I think.

I'm pretty sure.

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

yes probably more than 20 are submitted everyday. there is a pretty low likelihood of getting printed, so you should submit with not getting printed in mind

more beginner guide stuff here

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

also i lol'd @ againstbound

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

hector is a funny guy. you wouldn't tell by his avatar.

there are around 500 designs in the running at any given time, and a lot of those are by professional designers or just people with kickass art skills. It's best to not hold your breath regarding a print and just look at this as a great place to keep improving your design skills. Then if at some point you end up getting printed you get all the happy without the previous stress and frustration of waiting for it to happen.

I guess most of the rest of your questions have been cleared up already.

taz-pie

wow look at julia being all helpful and stuff

appleslicemusic

Thanks guys! Is there any chance a submitted design that was not selected be selected at a later date? Like maybe 30 days after it was submitted or even 2 months? Or chances so low that I shouldn't even worry about it?

appleslicemusic

Oh, and also, how does the payment system work? They say 'cash' do they mail it to you? Do they wire it? By check?

appleslicemusic

Oh, and also, how does the payment system work? They say 'cash' do they mail it to you? Do they wire it? By check?

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

you can choose pennies or nickels. I would choose nickels since you wont have to carry around nearly as many, even if nickels do weigh more per coin.

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

oh, and also, I dont know.

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

appleslicemusic on Jul 10 '12 at 3:29pm Thanks guys! Is there any chance a submitted design that was not selected be selected at a later date? Like maybe 30 days after it was submitted or even 2 months? Or chances so low that I shouldn't even worry about it?

The famous win-chance diagram by gumbolimbo is the most accurate statistical analysis of this question.

No account?