Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

heh. it's worth a 3 or 4 at least, but it shouldn't be averaging much over 3.5

againstbound
againstbound profile pic Alumni

I don't get all the rage about Dr Who. I recently watched the first season and couldn't take it seriously, it seemed more like a children's series, but not in a good way.

againstbound

Oh, and I bet that shit prints.

Letter_Q

I have actually never watched it.

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

Dr. who fans are crazy :/

GOLDMINE!

moosabman
moosabman profile pic Alumni

noticed that all the comments were new accounts, must be most devoted fans ever. wish I watched the show so I could start on some references myself, haha.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

i liked it in the 80s, and the david tennant series was ok, but it's hardly as amazing as the hype would have you believe. i think it just had a lot of hipster appeal because it existed for so long before anyone noticed, plus english accents make it seem posh and clever.

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

The ridiculous fanboy-ism of Dr Who and the fact that every two-three days it's the subject of the teefury shirt makes me instantly never want to watch it.

againstbound

Clever? Man, shit's far from it.

And unless it massively improves in the subsequent seasons you're not missing anything, Evan.

a wild thing
a wild thing profile pic Alumni

something similar is going on with this design

a lot of people creating an account today...

FRICKINAWESOME

Whew, that's a relief. I thought about watching the show purely to make a ridiculously popular tee design, but my insides almost revolted against me for even thinking about kowtowing that low to drooling fanboy wants and needs.

And hey, I get Dr Who jokes! Telephone phone booths are hilarious! In EVERY design!

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

400 votes in the first day. wild.

Haragos
Haragos profile pic Alumni

Seems fishy but I mena I guess it could be legit. The artwork isn't bad but yeah... 4.45? No way.

riyunoa

Whoa. I guess we should all just start drawing Dr. Who.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

it's not about doctor who. it's about having a community behind you. there ought to be a separate award for creating the most new accounts in a day.

FlyingMonkeyMan

that there is a lot of followers. I think that's all that I can say there.

And I watched a few episodes of it when it was on tv and nothing else of interest was on. It's ok, but not fantastic. meh, oh well

FRICKINAWESOME

hahaha@the response to my comment about the gummi bear design being fucking horrible no matter how many friends vote the contrary.

STUPID COW on Jun 26 '12 frickinawesome? more like frickinfaggot. it's alright. you're new.

Faggot rhymes with awesome so that's why it's a clever turn of a phrase.

also, I'm new to this place but...

STUPID COW aka has been a member since June 26, 2012, has scored 3 submissions, giving an average score of 3.33, helping 0 designs get printed.

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Whatever Evan, can you see that is a genius design. That black gummy bear really brings it all together, sheesh you are so clueless and new.

ellygeh
ellygeh profile pic Alumni

WHAT!! That is so freaking weird!!! Now the Dr. Who one I get, because of all the fangirls. But the last 2 being so high? There's something fishy going on! It kinda feels like some hyped up tumblr reblogged this and it spread like wild fire? I don't know man.

By the Way, I tried watching Dr. Who but couldn't go past season 2 because I was so BOOORED! I heard people say it gets better after the first 2 seasons but I couldn't be able to watch for that long waiting fr something to get better.

Haragos

The gummi bear one is outscoring my current design right now. That’s depressing lol

Wharton
Wharton profile pic Alumni

These are just a few of my new accounts. I'm experimenting with some new artwork and mass cheating, get use to it.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

one of the subs in the Flatfoot56 comp over in the atrium is going through the same phenomenon. loads of new accounts pushing it up in the popularity ranks.

Haragos

I mean its not like threadless would print any that don’t deserve printing so I’m not sure why they think this will work? I mean… 4 gummi bears sitting on the shirt...

Rachel Ray Gun
Rachel Ray Gun profile pic Alumni

the gummy bear and lion designs have a lot of cheating going on in them.

cococosy

@wharton your comment at the gummi one: touché! Can't stop laughing

pd23

Come away with me aka dr who design is a good design. However the score is too much!

Gummy bears & Lion's breath - too much effort for nothing! :))) it's like running alone and finish second!

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

i just noticed the Dr Who gir;s last design also had huge support from a bunch of nobodies. where does she get these people? and why's she keep bothering when it doesn't work?

SJ27

Dr Who has a big online fanbase. I could see them coming in for this. But I can't see it going viral through the Tumblr or wherever else the Whovians hang out. She'd have to have the weight of something else behind her for that kind of support. Is she DA famous or something? It's just not particularly clever. As a mashup, if you compare it to fatheed's Delorean/Tardis mashup it's weak. Or the owls one.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

The ridiculous fanboy-ism of Dr Who makes me instantly never want to watch it.

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

That was supposed to be BOLD.

jmeaspls
jmeaspls profile pic Alumni

d3d on Jun 28 '12 at 9:09am i just noticed the Dr Who gir;s last design also had huge support from a bunch of nobodies. where does she get these people? and why's she keep bothering when it doesn't work?

i know, right? and it isn't like she needs to be up-voted like the gummy bears; her stuff isn't all that bad

Morkki
Morkki profile pic Alumni

It's an ok show but I don't get that design

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

the art is 5 worthy but the concept is a 3

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

khallion has a huge facebook following she interacts with. this has 180 comments there. shes able to get people to actually sign up for threadless so good for her

ellygeh
ellygeh profile pic Alumni

Rufflemyhair with the other meh designs is the same except it's on tumblr. Pretty much all she does is reblog vintage pics of skinny chicks and adventure time gifs(which I love) and that's it. Oh there's some naked stuff too so yeah.

pyr4lis
pyr4lis profile pic Alumni

yeah Khallion has a huge following on facebook & Society 6 as well as lots of teefury prints. She's got one there now with this cinderella / dr who mash up as the side art.

Haragos

I wish I was popular online. How does one go about that?

Stile

Haragos, you have to sell your soul and cater to the masses.

Haragos

Done and done

Stile

Only way to survive

Haragos
  • I’ve been waiting my whole life to sell out for a big pile of cash. Hopefully that day comes!
skindapple

selling out ftw!

khallion
khallion profile pic Alumni

I am very confused. I did a design, not to sell out, not to cater to tye masses, but because I happened to love the concept. I post it on my Facebook fan page, and people love it, they want to vote for it, they want to buy it. It brings in new customers to Threadless, new accounts. And, somehow....this is bad? It's selling out?

And, btw...I have worked very very hard to become "popular" online. I have been working my ass off to build a fan base and an online presence, and to get my work seen. And it's been a big goal of mine to get a Threadless print. Disappointing that this is what the community is like.

skindapple

did you read the entire blog before responding? are you reading into things too much? do you realize that threadless prints crap loads of parodies and pop culture designs?

art is selling out or you won't sell art...i think, lol...

and anything that relates to the masses is catering to the masses, so be happy you are liked, and that you are getting such a wonderful response through comments, score, and blog(s)...hahaha, no one is hating on you, the internet is just that ridiculous and it's ridiculousness is evident on your sub...but that goes with the Dr. Who(ever/cares) genre, fan base, etc.............................................................................

but congratulations, super execution!

Haragos

I guess she didn't read the topic at all.

Letter_Q

Hey khallion if you read my first post.... it says...

Nothing wrong, was just funny to see... ^_^

I'm not accusing you to do anything wrong... and just to let you know, it's a wonderful design and I voted it 4

It was just unusual to see 150 comment during the first 5 hours scoring and an overall score of 4,30 when is pretty hard to break 3, even for amazing designs...

That's all, I'm sure you worked hard to be so popular and it is what everyone is doing here, me too.

Good luck with your designs, I've seen you printed somewhere else too... congrats!

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

yeah i don't think anyone actually hated on you. you needn't be that defensive.

NikHolmes
NikHolmes profile pic Alumni

I'd say a fair bit of props where paid to the Who tee and people were actually positive about the design themselves, but to be fair while no outright slating took place and people remained civil, there was a definite underlying tone to some comments. For example - "why's she keep bothering when it doesn't work?" which suggests this is a deliberate ploy to somehow 'cheat' the Threadless system, as opposed to Khallion having a loyal fan base who followed the link she posted in order to support an artist they admire.

"Sell your soul and cater to the masses." While this could be read as "work which has mass appeal" there's an underlying suggestion that the work was particularly tailored JUST to sell to the masses. The artist has designed something personal to them here, which also just happens to hit a current pop culture zeitgeist. The image is far removed from the usual Sci Fi trappings of a Who shirt, and addresses the more romantic nature of the artist combined with her love of Disneyesque fairytale storytelling. Look at her folio, read her Facebook page, this is obviously a very personal piece in relation to what excites the designer artistically.

"It's just not particularly clever." Again, I don't think she was trying to be 'clever'. The whole scene is illustrated in a very subtle, elegant way. It's not meant to be a zinger, it's meant to be romantic.

So yeah, there was no attacking and everyone was civilised towards Khallion, the majority of folk where respectful to her and her work, but when you're an outsider to the Threadless community who just dreams of getting printed, comments such as 'I'm experimenting with some new artwork and mass cheating' can be a little off-putting.

Haragos

I don't think I said anything to offend her and if I did I didn't mean anything. I just I'd like to sell out for a bag of money but I wasn't meaning anything told her. The artwork is good. I personally don't believe it 4+ good but that for everyone else to decide.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us