Close
One second...

Choose your favorite villain and submit to the Disney Villains challenge!

• by the ThreadStaff
  • posted Jun 18, 2012
  • 61 Comments

For every one of our favorite Disney heroes, there’s a villain who stands in their way. A true Disney Villain is more conniving than your own ugly stepsister, and they’ll stop at nothing to wreak evil on all that is good. But for what they lack in goodness, these characters make up for in personality. The shorter their tempers and the more vengeful their schemes, the more we love to hate them!

Now is your chance to create a t-shirt design inspired by the villains listed below. So practice your meanest scowl, rehearse your villainous cackle, and start plotting your most evil design yet!

Keep in mind: You can create a design with your favorite Disney Villain or several. If your design includes more than one villain, the characters must be proportionate to each other. Villains can touch but they cannot interact. For example, a design like Reunion Tour is permitted, but This Game Sucks would not be. Also, steer clear of altering the costumes of the villains.

The Evil Queen Snow White and the Seven Dwarfs
Maleficent Sleeping Beauty
Ursula The Little Mermaid
Cruella De Vil 101 Dalmatians
Dr. Facilier The Princess and the Frog
Jafar Aladdin
The Queen of Hearts Alice In Wonderland
Captain Hook Peter Pan

Check out the awesome prizing and submit away!

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

Finally an outlet for all my unused Jafar designs!

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

lol @ Steve.

Manupix
2 designs submitted - Score now!

I read that as

Finally an outlet for all my unused Jar Jar designs

and I was like

'_'

Manupix
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Also, is it only me that thinks Disney is getting a bit bossy here?

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

Doesn't Disney already do enough Disney designs? I mean, I love getting to do designs for brands and companies that meant so much to me growing up...but the guidelines basically just have us drawing their characters exactly as they are with little room to be artistic. Don't they already have enough of those?

mike bautista
mike bautista profile pic Alumni

Ste7e is mad because he can't make any urban costumes.

Torakamikaze

I'm going to draw all the Disney villains in a prison, with a security guard yelling "No touching!"

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

It's true! Urban is trending so hot right now.

Arrested Disvelopment

FlyingMonkeyMan

what I would love to see is backstory illustrations. Like the scene where captain hook lost his hand for example.

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

didn't captain hook lose it to that clockodile? duh...

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

Not to be a debbie downer but this restrictive, corporate approach to the contest - while not surprising - is the antithesis of creativity. I was reading an article about Adventureland and I found it refreshing that the creators of that show really embraced the burgeoning online fanart community (which is really off the wall and divergent). They even incorporated one of the sideline characters that had evolved from the fanart into the actual show. On the contrary this cautious, lawyered up approach to copyright integrity seems a bit outdated to me.

FlyingMonkeyMan

@Ryder Revolution

yeah I know how he lost his hand, it would just be sweet to see on a shirt, in a kid friendly sort of way I guess =)

SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

free idea: Jafar getting strip searched by TSA

rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

The racist white coach from Remember the Titans

heykimby

I think it's nice of Disney to be reaching further outside of their typical target market though... I mean, shirts with villains on them don't really appeal to most 7 year old girls. And the prize isn't bad either.

Also Opifan... you mean Adventure Time, right? Haha. I love their approach to fanart (I mean have you seen natazilla's tumblr? She's a staff member on the show and she draws a bunch of fanart!), but with such an established and wide reaching company like Disney I personally don't have a problem with them narrowing the design brief... if it's company policy that no merchandise can be sold with characters out of costume, then it's better to tell people now than for them to spend hours on a design that can't even be printed due to Disney's policy, and subsequently can't be used elsewhere.

brainrust
brainrust profile pic Alumni

I'd like to see a photo of the collectable figurines mentioned in the prizes, those things can be pretty special!

opifan64
opifan64 profile pic Alumni

yeah, good points! and yes I meant Adventure Time, haha.

Wylie Knowords

I am a villain sloganeer peaking through the artist windows. Love your angry voices and imaginations. I'm still here. Some artists have come to me. Maybe this collab.......

rossmat8

If there's not at least one sub of Captain Hook bowling against Bill Murray I'll be greatly disappointed in all of you.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

prince john and sir hiss

rossmat8

Newman from Toy Story I don't know his name in the movie but you know who I'm talking about.

rossmat8

Okay one more lame idea then I'm done.

Sid putting a firecracker on the back of the villain from A Bug's Life

SuperRyan

Darth Vader standing proportionally next to that coach from Glee

Torakamikaze

Has William H Macy ever been a villain? I want to draw William H Macy

SuperRyan

He was the bad guy in that one movie with all the snow and kidnapping. I think it was called "Snow Dogs."

Torakamikaze

I think you're thinking of "White Fang Can't Jump"

taz-pie

i wonder why "the characters must be proportionate to each other". now i just wanna fuck with disney and do a huge michale jordan next to a tiny cruella dville.

taz-pie

YOU'RE NOT THE BOSS OF ME

bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni

Scar for example didn't make the list above but he was pretty darn evil.

GyleDesigns
GyleDesigns profile pic Alumni

Wait, so are the listed characters the ONLY disney villains we can use? I'm a huge fan of Zurg :(

andyg
andyg profile pic Alumni

Are Disney employees allowed to submit designs?

GyleDesigns
GyleDesigns profile pic Alumni

Are Disney characters allowed to submit designs?

PixelPants

I always thought that guy who had us queue for nearly two hours to ride on Magic Mountain rated high as far as Disney villains go. Does this mean I can't put him on a shirt either?

ica306

yes there is a list of villains u can use... i have a question about colors, i saw submitted design with 11 colors, so does the 8 colors maximum apply on this challenge?

jesshanebury
jesshanebury profile pic Staff

@gyle, for this challenge, please only use the villains listed. If you have an idea using another submission, feel free to submit it to the general call for submissions!

Stile

What exactly is the difference between touching and interacting?

queenmob
queenmob profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

Stile, they posted two examples in the descriptive text.

Stile

Aaaah. Thanks. (:

Brightwood
Brightwood profile pic Alumni

Villains can touch but they cannot interact.

This is because interacting leas to sex. Villains must not have sex.

Brightwood

So sad...I mean think of the creatures Shadowman and Cruella could procreate.

Brightwood

Were there any rules against parts of small children or princesses hanging from their mouths?

jesshanebury
jesshanebury profile pic Staff

hey @brighwood, we actually had a submission where one of the villains was eating one of the princesses and we weren't able to accept that. sorry!

ivanrodero
ivanrodero profile pic Alumni

"...a submission where one of the villains was eating one of the princesses..."

LOL

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

I seriously cannot wait to see what people come up with that actually fits within all the guidelines and makes a design that isn't just the villain standing there looking like themselves.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

So we can do zombie Disney Villians?

celandinestern
celandinestern profile pic Alumni

my spider sense says no.

Lahar
Lahar profile pic Alumni

Maybe if their costume is intact?

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni

"Maybe if their costume is intact?"

My thoughts exactly.

Maybe they can be eating McDonald's Meals as long as they are not sharing / interacting. That would be epic.

rossmat8

Cruella De Vil saying "I had 99 puppies then this bitch had 1" Jafar signing a post card that says "Wish you were here" The Evil Queen saying "An apple a day keeps Doc away"

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us