Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
NandaCorrea

Amazing!

ps. Parabéns, Jay!

Anishaxx1

AWESOME! Congrats! I knew it will PRINT!! :)

ct5121

Possibly one of the only designs I can see Bill Watterson liking - great job guys :)

bauernj

It was designs like this that caused Bill Watterson to quit drawing Calvin & Hobbes...

capnflynn

Kids' sizes please!

dangocosta

Bom demais!!! Parabéns!!!

douglasoliveira

Parabéns Brother ;] uou............. ;]

Juciellen

Yay you won! \o/

Juciellen

Yay you won! \o/

Juciellen

Yay you won! \o/

Juciellen

Sorry for so many comments! I not realized! hihihi

zzzonkout

aw, this needs to be available in boys!!

wheeler182

yes, just put that next to the one with calvin urinating on that chevy logo

MisaoAkiOlivier

THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL THIS IS CATWEAZL

kassie.gale

2 of my favorite things!

Manz76

Sweet work... But I'm puzzled - I saw this featured on another tee site today!? Has it been ripped!? Hope not!

lishan809

Calvin and Hobbes! Ahhh

DorianOrange

For those who are wondering why the image looks familiar-it shares resemblance to this parody illustration that was around much earlier and has the same concept + background (but replacing Lord of the Rings instead of the philosophers "Calvin" and "Hobbes")

http://www.forevergeek.com/wp-content/media/2011/08/johncalvinthomashobbes.jpg

To me, the two images are almost too similar for comfort, but it could be coincidence. That being said, its not really plaigairism because the illustrations are the designer's own, and its not wrong for designers to be inspired by other's ideas.

chumpmagic

I don't mean to pick on or target this artist, but I have seen it so much lately, and it is depressing. I have to speak up.

People need to stop spitting on Bill Watterson for a quick buck by using Calvin and Hobbs... Please respect artists!!!

"Bill Watterson insists that cartoon strips should stand on their own as an art form, and has resisted the use of Calvin and Hobbes in merchandising of any sort.[7] Watterson explained in a 2005 press release:

Actually, I wasn't against all merchandising when I started the strip, but each product I considered seemed to violate the spirit of the strip, contradict its message, and take me away from the work I loved. If my syndicate had let it go at that, the decision would have taken maybe 30 seconds of my life."

This design came directly from an image out of Calvin and Hobbs. And Bill Watterson made an effort , as well as took a money lose from not capitalizing on merchandise, to keep his creation a comic strip and nothing more. PLEASE RESPECT THE ARTIST'S WISHES... do not use Calvin and Hobbs for any merchandise! Sure, it maybe legal with the parody/ mash-up, but it is disrespectful; it's just not right.

yarrownick

yeah sorry cooljohnny, its a nice pic but its too much like Mr Wattersons beautiful images. There's drawing inspiration from your peers and then there's just plain copyright... I wouldn't wear it sorry

Tifereth4

i agree with chumpmagic and yarrownick. i grew up on calvin and hobbes and also love lord of the rings but this is just a copy of Watterson's work. i know this scene and all that was done was a wardrobe change for the characters. good concept but not even sure how threadless allowed this to be printed.

Daviisilva

Woow congrats man!!!

gebe
1 design submitted - Score now!

sorry but I completely dislike this

Pipsqueack

Watterson is totally against this kind of mercification of his work. As a loyal fan, I'm against it too. Dislike.

TxsJoHotdog

I am pretty disappointed in threadless and the designer for having this printed. Artists should respect other artist's work. Watterson's art is timeless and unique and this doesn't do it justice. It is a straight up copy. Fail and dislike.

Tigers_rock

My problem with this is not only does this use watterson's style, the scene is straight out of one of his comic strips. If this person really did appreciate Bill Watterson and Calvin and Hobbes, they would never have done this.

kristian.thy

This. Is. Horrible.

You're the reason we don't have C&H anymore. Hope this design bombs.

specialdave

This is right out of Calvin and Hobbes, just with different faces and clothes. Thanks for ripping off one of my favorite artists.

DorianOrange

I changed my mind about this print-there's definitely something wrong with this submission. I agree with chumpmagic and what others said; this is basically lifting Bill Waterson's illustrations off the page onto a t-shirt and making money off of it. Not only is the STYLE from another artist, but the IDEA is from another parody. Its would have been fine maybe on DeviantArt but its unfair and wrong to profit off it. This goes against what Threadless stands for. It's a site to help underground artists get discovered and have original, creative art printed, it is NOT a merchandising site where random people profit off other well-known, established artists's artwork. I still don't know what cooljohnny's intentions were, but whatever they were its 100 % wrong for him to be making money off this print. I emailed Threadless about this and hopefully they can do something about the issue, and also set up future design rules about plaigairism. Its great that more people spoke up about this piece-it made me realize how wrong it was for the design to get printed.

therbear

I think this is a wonderful design, an awesome mashup and a tribute to the timeless art of Bill Watterson. I think the people in this thread need to relax, and realize that almost all great art is derivative of other great art.

Yeliah Akre

meh... they hatin'. i think this is AWESOME!

itwastherussians

I LOVE THIS. I bought one for my dad (who introduced me to both C&H and LOTR) for Father's Day.

weese747

This is an awesome design! I'm hoping to get it for a friend who is always quoting C&H and is obsessed with LotR.

For those concerned about cooljohnny possibly plagiarizing Bill Watterson's style and scene, I believe that copyrights for art such as comics only apply when the person selling his or her artwork is interfering with the profits the original artist should receive (i.e. if I duplicated Watterson's comics exactly and then sold them thus taking a share of the profits he should have made had I not been offering my own version). When the item is not interfering with the sales of the original art (this t-shirt does not interfere with people buying other Calvin and Hobbes merchandise and no other comparable product exists), then it is generally not considered to be a copyright infringement. Parodies (I think this could be considered one) are also typically allowed by copyright law.

Hope that helps anyone concerned about being unfair to Watterson by buying this T-shirt. I think it's a great design.

get0ffthecouch

reprint xlarge!!!!! please!!!

aubrey048

There's nothing wrong here, listen to weese747. This is beautiful, and I will buy it soon.

limping2victory

Wow, combines my enduring fondness for Calvin and Hobbes with my obsession with the Lord of the Rings. Please reprint 2x.

summer-cat

One of the shirts I most crave from here. Reprint HUGELY desired.

RunKenshi

Really!!! Reallyy like the print!! but i don't like the colour of the T-shirt :( will it be available in other colours?

Solarmew

you people need to calm down ... this is not copied or traced, the characters were created by the artist ... just because it resembles something someone else drew doesn't mean you need to start bashing the person. A lot of designs on Threadless were either inspired by or are a parody of something someone else created, this is no different. Great shirt design!

syrupneko

the original image is so iconic, as well as the style, that most people instantly recognized it, even if they couldn't point where it came from.

This is essentially the same as the countless number of parodies of The Beatles' Abbey Road album cover, Da Vinci's Mona Lisa, or Edvard Munch's The Scream.

While this kind of direct lifting is more like something I'd see on some of the other t-shirt sites, there's really no problem here.

citsav

LOVE THIS! Please please please print the girly boat neck tee version :D

Vicki.Kuczer

Agree with previous comment. Please print in black boat neck! Design is awesome!

Juror2

Completely witty!

raistlinsghost

I love this shirt. Here's some money. I'll be wearing this to the Hobbit next month. It should be said though, that if Bill Watterson didn't design this, he's so mad right now...

Bluur

Is this shirt within legal copywright limits? Oh yeah.

Would Bill Watterson approve? Probably not. He didn't want his comics, or memories from his comics, being twisted and strewn about commercial goods, which is exactly what this is.

In fact the only reason he didn't sue, is because he figured out it would take so much money and time to sue everyone using his images, that it wouldn't be worth it.

I'm sure the intent is good here, we all love C&H, but this is a bad idea.

theradical96

This is so cool! Haha

SpenserL

Love the graphic, I'd definitely buy it if it was available in darker colours, or maybe light blue.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?