Close
One second...

read my story?

Laura steps into the pool. Her wetsuit feels like a room. It feels like she’s in a small dry room.

She is handed a heavy stone. It pulls her to the bottom. On the way down she lets water fill her mouth, then pushes it out. She repeats, bringing in water then pushing it out.

Landing, she puts the stone on her lap and leans on the wall.

The pool is made from blue tiles joined by lines of fixative. She is tracing the lines with her finger.

Laura traces one line as far as she can then keeps tracing it with her eyes. She traces it more slowly and determinedly the farther it gets, until eventually the line becomes foggy and dissolves.

In her wetsuit Laura feels powerful and insignificant. She pulls at the material then sucks in her stomach to make an air pocket. She stays like this until she loses grip.

Uncomfortably dry, Laura half fills her goggles. She appreciates the cool water on her eyes. She wants to let the water into her wetsuit. Her hair too. She wants to take off her hood and let cool water into her hair.

Another lady joins her with a heavy stone. She lands next to Laura and starts configuring a bomb detonator, attached to her stone. Laura watches her activate the detonator and swim back to the surface.

The timer reads 1 minute. Everybody is swimming to the edges of the pool and disappearing through the surface. A refracted version of the roof wobbles in their place.

Holding her stone, Laura imagines a crowd chanting and clapping. She taps her fingers in time to the crowd and watches the empty space at the centre of the pool.

She watches the empty space as the water shifts around expectantly. Laura takes off the hood and wets her hair before the timer lapses.

Watch this
Joelnz
Joelnz profile pic Alumni

fine, whatever.

Chipmnk

The words are good, but I'm having trouble figuring out what's going on.

On the way down she lets water fill her mouth, then pushes it out. She repeats, bringing in water then pushing it out.

Chipmnk

I don't know if that's physically possible if she's underwater.

Joelnz
Joelnz profile pic Alumni

haha ok thanks.

No account?
Join Us