Close
One second...

Monoprice graphics tablets. Cheap. Good?

I reviewed Monoprice's graphics tablet. $50. Pretty fantastic!

Watch this
craquehaus

I've had one of these for a while. My main issue is the lack dual-monitor support and the fact that there is virtually no direct customer support if you really have an issue.

I vaguely remember researching forums online where people were discussing workarounds for the dual monitor issue but they never worked for me.

Ray Frenden

My drivers map fine to a single monitor in a dual monitor setup.

Ray Frenden

In Windows. Haven't tried that in OSX.

craquehaus

Right. A single monitor. That's not dual monitor support.

Ray Frenden

It would be distorted as hell draped across two monitors. I've never had a usage scenario where I would want it mapped to two at the same time. Hmph. I'll check to see if I can get that to work and let you know.

craquehaus

UPDATE:

I have a setup with a laptop, an eternal monitor, and this tablet. I've had to be mobile the past couple of days and disconnected everything back and forth a couple of times.

Just plugged it in again - the dual monitor setup works. Fully mapped.

I don't get why or how but I'll enjoy it while it lasts.

Adhesive Hippo

I may have to check these out...

Ragnampiza

This is a great news! I might consider buy one in the future, since i'm using a wacom bamboo. Thanks a lot for sharing and such a great review!

Resistance

I ordered one last week. Should show up today.

pyr4lis

Interesting.. I may have to consider switching from mouse to tablet.

ISABOA

you're a wordsmith Ray

danrule

cool, thanks for the insight

ferfo

I just bought one of these because of your review, I hope you're getting a hefty commission!

Resistance

Dual monitor support is not working. It only works on my main monitor. Also, pressure sensitivity is not working and the software displayed in the manual is nowhere to be found on the disc or in the folders it installed.

Resistance

Re-installed drivers and rebooted and all is well.

ibeenthere

Wow! seriously?! wow!!! I am going to try it out! I was fixed on saving money for intuos4 (i'm using the worst version of a 7 years old bamboo) but from your review, and videos...I think I'll just buy this one instead and give it a shot...it's so cheap!

ibeenthere

Have you seen they're commercial for the tablet though? lol histericlly bad!:)

Resistance

So I've run into the most frustrating thing about this tablet.

First, it isn't made for lefties, because all the buttons run down the left side, so I had to unbind them all because I kept bumping them by accident. The two bottom buttons are Save and Close Window... talk about annoying.

Second, you can't personalize the buttons on the pen. On my wacom I liked being able to right click for brush sizes and then upper click for Undo.

Is there a way that I'm unaware of to change the bindings of the pen buttons to anything you want?

Ray Frenden

It has righty/lefty controls right in the settings. You can change or disable the hotkeys too.

Ray Frenden

Ha. You did open the driver settings right?

Ray Frenden

Yes. I can't wholeheartedly recommend the Yiynova. I had lots of driver and stability issues on OSX and a few in Windows too. On a budget, if it's absolutely all the money you can spend, it's doable.

The smaller Yiynova seems less jittery than the larger, too.

The Monoprice has been a champ. I sold my Cintiq a couple of months ago and haven't looked back.

Ray Frenden

Yes. I can't wholeheartedly recommend the Yiynova. I had lots of driver and stability issues on OSX and a few in Windows too. On a budget, if it's absolutely all the money you can spend, it's doable.

The smaller Yiynova seems less jittery than the larger, too.

The Monoprice has been a champ. I sold my Cintiq a couple of months ago and haven't looked back.

quick-brown-fox
2 designs submitted - Score now!

Thanks man. I can draw, but never managed to get over the hand eye thing with my first gen bamboo. The idea of a cintiq always appealed to me, but the price held me back. I like the idea of the ten inch, but not if my lines come out as if I'm waiting for my next fix. Ever heard of a Hanvon Sentip? Found a reasonably priced one on amazon.co.uk tonight, but trying to find info is like looking for unicorn shit.

Ray Frenden

P-Active tablet monitors use UC-Logic digitizers, I think. UC-Logic is the OEM behind the Monoprice. I'm going to give those a look. I'm aware of the Hanvon, but don't know anyone who's used one in the wild.

quick-brown-fox

The detail on the monoprice looks killer, would be fantastic if they put that into a 19" LCD

quick-brown-fox

Hello Ray. Just wanted to report back, I found your videos and blogs pretty helpful and ultimately made my mind up to just buy something. I saw a Hanvon Sentip about 30% cheaper than anywhere else and decided to go for it.

It arrived yesterday, and I was pretty pissed off that it came with a mainland Europe power lead (I'm in the UK). I found one in the supermarket tonight, so after much anticipation tried it out.

The CD that came with it had outdated drivers on it, which must be down to Apple killing Rosetta. The drivers on their site have been updated. Installed that, and I got the jittery curser you mention in one of your videos about the Yiynova. Thought I'd try it in photoshop anyway. Every line I drew only appeared after I took the pen off the screen. Also, every time I tried to reposition the window it would minimise to the dock, as well as being jittery it was somehow registering double clicks.

I read somewhere in the comments on one of your videos about someone installing two drivers for one of the tablets - it may have been the Yiynova. So, in desperation, I downloaded the graphics tablet driver. This completely killed it, I was getting no response at all. I then reinstalled the sentip driver and it worked, solving all the previous issues.

So far, it's great, nice sensitivity. I'm still playing at the moment, but I'm really happy. It's worth noting that I've only ever used a bamboo and an intuos before - so the whole concept of drawing on the screen is new to me. That may be skewing my opinion. Going from an A6 Bamboo to this feels like a massive step up!

Ray Frenden

I haven't tested the Hanvon hardware at all, so that's super interesting to hear! Let me know how it treats you over time.

No account?