Peace and love and owls ♥

mad613.

PRINT..!! 5$

Thecalicofox

ANYONE WHO DOES NOT GIVE A 5 IS BLIND!

TheTinyHobo

Aw shucks. Thanks! ♥_♥;;

cuddlybunny

I think you're talented but this image relies too much on racial stereotypes for my comfort. Images of stereotypical Native American things have become trendy and it's only promoting ignorance about them. Please learn about cultural appropriation and avoid using it in the future.

Thecalicofox

@ cuddlybunny.. How do you know that the poster isn't a native american herself? I see nothing wrong with it. Its not in any way degrading a culture.

TheTinyHobo

My dear, my grandmother was Native American--please don't insult my intelligence or cultural awareness before you even know my intentions or background.

I can assure you I mean no offense, and I'm positively aware of what I created here. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by the beautiful patterns and imagery of Native American artwork.

Thecalicofox

@ cuddlybunny.. How do you know that the poster isn't a native american herself? I see nothing wrong with it. Its not in any way degrading a culture.

TheTinyHobo

My dear, my grandmother was Native American--please don't insult my intelligence or cultural awareness before you even know my intentions or background.

I can assure you I mean no offense, and I'm positively aware of what I created here. There's nothing wrong with being inspired by the beautiful patterns and imagery of Native American artwork.

TheTinyHobo

Thecalicofox

Thecalicofox

Thecalicofox

whaleofatale

Generic hipster cultural appropriation "brother owl", no thanks

L-M-N-O-P
L-M-N-O-P profile pic Alumni

Don't be at all perturbed by someone who doesn't understand how art works, Val.

cuddlybunny

TheTinyHobo, your race does not change the fact that this image is problematic. I suggest checking out Mycultureisnotatrend on tumblr and Nativeappropriations on blogspot, or even just tumblr's native american tag for why images like this hurt communities. I hope anyone reading this will try listen to what people in Native American communities have to say.

kkoroshoo

Native ancestry means squat when it comes to issues of appropriation or stereotyping. Unless you are an ENROLLED member of whatever tribe you're claiming, you shouldn't be reproducing racist stereotypes and then saying that it's okay and we shouldn't be offended. On top of being racist, the picture is so lame it hurts. I mean, come on. How many millions of shirts with hipster owls and faux-Native designs are out there? Does Threadless really need to start printing ANOTHER one? Especially one that's as racist and contributing to stereotypes of Natives as this one does?

JJAxelisSaikouDesu

cute design, but cultural insensitivity makes it something I wouldn't to see people actively wearing. as a native american man myself, it almost makes me feel like my heritage and its symbols and artwork is something to be mocked; capitalizing on the images of our culture is not something natives do.

kavokaaa

I agree. As an enrolled native myself (i dont need to use the 'my grandma' myth) I am extremely offended. Native communities EVERYWHERE are offended by this crap. Have you not heard about the urban outfitters thing with the Navajo nation? Yeah it's seriously offensive to actual natives that care for their culture.

kavokaaa

These kinds of designs promote racism and ignorance towards native americans. It really is something that should be put in the spotlight more often. Saddens me how many people support ignorant crap like this.

MiniaturePaws

Val, while I may not know you, I have to admit your art is astonishing. It's beautiful, the designs are flawless. Absolutely perfect art.

As to all those who say this is "offensive" in any way, while curiosity did not kill the cat, ignorance sure did.

kavokaaa

Exactly. And you're ignorance is killing off my native culture.

MiniaturePaws

Val, while I may not know you, I have to admit your art is astonishing. It's beautiful, the designs are flawless. Absolutely perfect art.

As to all those who say this is "offensive" in any way, while curiosity did not kill the cat, ignorance sure did.

TheTinyHobo

Thanks MiniPaws. I appreciate the support. To everyone else, I'm so incredibly sorry if I offended you--this was not my intention! I'm contacting Threadless and asking if they'll remove this submission. I only hope you all believe that I mean no offense....I just really love incorporating this type of thing into my art.

And yes, I read all about the Navajo thing with Urban Outfitters. No where did I claim this is a Navajo piece of art....but okay. You win.

MiniaturePaws

@TheIgnorantPeople: It's a tee-shirt design. Do you get this worked up about every little thing said and done? I suggest you leave this site, leave this page, and leave this be. All you are doing, is making yourself look like a fool.

kkoroshoo

@TheTinyHobo. I appreciate that you are reconsidering your design. You obviously have talent and are capable of something better than this.

kittysuicides

@MiniaturePaws: "it's just fashion!"/"it's a tee shirt design!" is the laziest defense ever. It sucks that you think cultural sensitivity & respect make people look like fools, but the truth is that nothing is more foolish than clinging to your ignorance & perpetuating stereotypes related to cultures you're not close to.

TheTinyHobo

Out of respect for the last shred of dignity that I have, I'd truly appreciate if you all stopped fighting about this. I'm so sorry that I offended anyone--I'm literally in tears, because I never ever meant to hurt anyone with my art.

I hope you all understand that this was not my intention in the least, I never, ever, ever, want to hurt anyone in anyway—but I can see how it was construed as such and I appreciate it being brought to my attention.

Even though I dearly love and admire Native American imagery, I will refrain from using it, as I truly and deeply do not want to offend anyone and I respect you all more than I could ever say. I want people to look at my art and feel love, and to smile, and to make their day brighter. That’s my deepest wish.

And just for the record, my grandmother was Native American, rest her soul, so please don't mock me for saying this. It's totally unfair to assume I'm using that as a cover-up. Please be civil, because I'm trying my hardest to do the same.

TheTinyHobo

Out of respect for the last shred of dignity that I have, I'd truly appreciate if you all stopped fighting about this. I'm so sorry that I offended anyone--I'm literally in tears, because I never ever meant to hurt anyone with my art.

I hope you all understand that this was not my intention in the least, I never, ever, ever, want to hurt anyone in anyway—but I can see how it was construed as such and I appreciate it being brought to my attention.

Even though I dearly love and admire Native American imagery, I will refrain from using it, as I truly and deeply do not want to offend anyone and I respect you all more than I could ever say. I want people to look at my art and feel love, and to smile, and to make their day brighter. That’s my deepest wish.

And just for the record, my grandmother was Native American, rest her soul, so please don't mock me for saying this. It's totally unfair to assume I'm using that as a cover-up. Please be civil, because I'm trying my hardest to do the same.

TheTinyHobo

TheTinyHobo

TheTinyHobo

zaphikiel

Just want to say - I'm giving this a $5.

Truthfully everyone, I think we all need to look out at the world and see actually racist imagery. Have you guys ever even seen the redskins mascot?? Why aren't you all up in arms about that? This owl is a great design, he has a cool headband, and some football paint under his eyes. You take that and turn it into some huge offense against all Native Americans?? How did all of this get that far??

Just because you see that image and think something racist does not mean the artist should be blamed for your thoughts. She didn't even connect this image to Native Americans, yet here you guys are claiming she's viciously stereotyping them. Makes no sense to me, no sense at all.

angela.glanzer

So glad I found a link to this on tumblr so I could rate this appropriative bullcrap a zero. Intent ain't magical, y'all.

TheTinyHobo

I'm so glad that an honest apology wasn't good enough for some people. It seems I've committed an unforgivable crime against the entire human race.

YaaH
YaaH profile pic Alumni

◠‿◠✿

Ninapedia

@Thecalicofox You can still be Native and present harmful Native Stereotypes, it's called internalized racism. Being Native doesn't excuse harmful actions. Also you don't see anything harmful? How about the fact that in many tribes Owls are freakin' considered evil and bad, and you stay away from those suckers whenever you can. Do you understand how certain Natives can find it offensive as all get out to see something notably bad made to look like their stereotype?

sayahelmi
sayahelmi profile pic Alumni

love the owl stare, hi5

No account?