Close
One second...

Let's make a tribute to Steve Jobs

• by skaw
  • posted Oct 06, 2011
  • 29 Comments

This image above is what got me interested in making art & code with computers. I was in 7th grade in the early 90's and lucky enough to have a few Macs in our school library. I started playing with HyperCard, creating interactive stories that you could click through. Choose your own adventure style :) ... I was hooked. I spent many long afternoons after school in the library, not wanting to go home. Soon I figured out how to make web pages, went to art school, started connecting with other like-minded creatives on the Internet, started Threadless, etc.

Steve has changed so many of our lives. If your life was impacted by him, please share your story here. Or make something in tribute and post it up.



Watch this
bortwein
bortwein profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I drew you a spilled Mac OS Mug of coffee

As a tribute to Steve Jobs (1955-2011). The mug has one of the old Mac OS logos on it because that was the Mac OS logo that I grew up with. My first Mac was a Macintosh 6100, “The Pizza Box” as I called it. I upgraded to a Macintosh Performa 6500 PowerPC Tower later on in College and used the hell out of that machine. I have always been a Macintosh user and I feel like I always will.

Hope you like it. -Brandon Ortwein (aka bortwein)

Ryder
Ryder profile pic Alumni

Remember in that movie Blank Check, how the kid named himself after his Macintosh computer? So awesome...

ivejustquitsmoking
ivejustquitsmoking profile pic Alumni

I went mac and never went back. Cliché, but my first mac aligned me to the path I'm in right now.

DesignbyProxy
DesignbyProxy profile pic Alumni

I grew up on macs, playing Q-bert and oregon trail... When the graphics were updated a bit more I used Flying Colors and would play around with it for hours.

I used a PC for a bit, from middle school until college when I discovered how much power a Mac had for graphics VS a PC, and could appreciate how simple, and usable everything was. I still find shortcuts everyday that are built in!

I used to think MP3s would never catch on, and the first time I used an iPod... I nearly had a cow. my binder of near 300 cd's wouldn't need to be toted around anymore?! I could fit my music in my pocket? Amazing.

They've made the world more conscious of design in general, product, software and graphics and have become the cannon for which people strive to achieve.

My life has been made easier, and more enjoyable professionally and recreationally, just because Steve and Apple thought of more than just how to get someone connected to the internet and process word docs. He thought further, innovated and pushed further than what anyone thought was possible, and that deserved to be applauded.

Luckily he left his legacy for us to enjoy.

webcite

Back in prehistoric days, I got an Apple IIc during college. I used a massive daisy wheel printer that sounded like a machine gun at 4am when I was typically printing out my papers. I upgraded to a Mac during my extended postgrad career. I was never "creative" but got way into page layout and even did some freelance work designing forms and materials for a non-profit. But the real turning point was when I figured out a really elaborate system to generate a whole Web-Cite (http://web.archive.org/web/19961219184010/http://www.web-cite.com/) from Filemaker Pro databases using Applescript.

That was my ticket outta grad school and academia. I had a Mac Clone running WebSTAR to serve client databases via DSL from my apartment. I got a gig building Baxter Healthcare's career website on Filemaker Pro and that eventually led me to web marketing, etc.

In retrospect, I was connecting my own dots using the tools that Steve Jobs brought to my world. I seriously doubt I would have found this path without those tools. Stay Hungry. Stay Foolish.

betsym

I wrote my big 5th grade biography project on Steve Jobs. The other kids did their presentations on dead presidents and stuff. We had to put presentations on those tri-fold boards for the school-wide open house, and I cut out a square in the middle of mine and had the first 1984 commercial playing on repeat on a Mac II I think it was. Anyway, this was before Apple was universally accepted as the creator of the coolest and bestest computers in the whole world, so everyone just thought I was really weird, especially because that commercial was weird for a 10-year-old to be playing for everyone's parents as they walked through our classroom.

I'm going to go back to my parents' house and see if I can find the paper I wrote.

Can't get the link to the commercial to embed properly, it's here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OYecfV3ubP8

Ste7en
Ste7en profile pic Alumni

Let's not forget we would not have Pixar without him.

ISABOA
ISABOA profile pic Alumni

I was in middle school, worked in the computer lab on a bunch of old macs - same story.. loved hypercard.. touched and used my first scanner.. I was hooked.

My family was poor and my dad knew I wanted a computer bad.. he made a deal to paint the local computer store in exchange for a computer ( a gorgeous little mac classic B&W) He wasn't even a painter. But we painted the place as a family and I got my computer.

It started a lifelong devotion to a company that I followed and adored. Apple can not be defined by its customers or its product, but by a spirit that began with Steve Jobs, a dedication to innovation and detail. A unapologetic march toward the future, making and creating - building the tools to make and create.

biotwist
biotwist profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I always remembered my frustration and confusion when first trying to deal with the one click mouse. I remember playing various mac related games in the special education room. what had a bigger impact on me was the way Jobs and mac changed marketing and advertising in the late 90's

Brightwood
Brightwood profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

I keep this posted in my office! "For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something." -Steve Jobs

glenncochon
glenncochon profile pic Alumni

I remember Kid Pix being my go-to program on elementary school's mac whenever we had free time. These were pre-photoshop days. I spent hours making fancy doodles on the mac...and still continue to do so today.

Monkey X
Monkey X profile pic Alumni

In Loving Memory Steve Jobs

—

Made this today. Not long after I was done, I found out a couple of others had similar ideas. Great minds think alike I guess… I feIt kinda stupid. I still went ahead and posted it on my Tumblr anyways, ‘cause first I didn’t want to waste the time and creativity that went into it. But then I realised ya’know what? I’m proud, I took the time to make it. I think it’s even more beautiful to think more people wanted to pay hommage to the man who was a creative genius. Thank you Steve, for being an inspiration to us all.

“Creativity is just connecting things.” - Steve Jobs

Brightwood
Brightwood profile pic Alumni
1 design submitted -

...the whole quote...

From STEVE JOBS: “For the past 33 years, I have looked in the mirror every morning and asked myself: “If today were the last day of my life, would I want to do what I am about to do today?” And whenever the answer has been “No” for too many days in a row, I know I need to change something. Remembering that I'll be dead soon is the most important tool I have ever encountered to help me make the big choices in life. Because almost everything – all external expectations, all pride, all fear of embarrassment or failure – these things just fall away in the face of death, leaving only what is truly important. Remembering that you are going to die is the best way I know to avoid the trap of thinking you have something to lose. You are already naked. There is no reason not to follow your heart.”

Delta (uppercase Δ) The upper-case letter Δ can be used to denote "Change" of any variable quantity:

for steve...

ivanrodero

I did this retouch last night.

I remember the days that computers were a luxury and most of the things I wanted to do were done by hand.

Then it comes the mac that seemed designed for creating stuff if you wanted to be creative and have a computer, apple was the most logical option, the only one.

I can't work with another kind of computer now, everything else seems complicated, ugly and badly done.

It sounds weird but, apple is part of my life, part of me and my creation, Steve Jobs started it all, he was the mind behind my favourite tool, the extension of my hands and mind.

He wanted more than function, he wanted cool and he has a following now because of that, he wanted more, he worked for more, he saw more.

[+duracell-]

So this one time I was in the computer lab writing some code on some mac machine. And when I was done I tried to get my disk out..but there was no button to depress. I looked all over, I was totally stumped. Then the girl sitting next to me was all like, "You have to drag the disk icon into the trashcan. No seriously it won't delete all your files." Reluctantly I did and my disk finally popped out. You the man Steve. But yeah while I wasn't a fanboy, I do admire his free thinking and desire to innovate. It's healthy competition that pushes us all to make something better and, in turn, reap the benefits.

betsym

I forgot we did an email homage to Apple with MacCat recently. Speedy did it.

Fleck
Fleck profile pic Alumni

Just 5 days ago I spilt a cocktail all over my macbook. Besides wasting a really nice drink (Pineapple juice, lime, dark rum, ginger beer and a bit of salt) , I was devastated at losing my laptop. It's been with me through from my first days designing things.

But after careful cotton budding of the insides and 5 days in the cupboard, today I turned it on and everything is fine! What a trooper! Hopefully it has many designs to cross it's screen yet.

So thanks Steve, for making something that I've had so much fun with, met some great people with, and encouraged me and inspired me to draw and design. Your legacy lives on.

Shadyjibes
Shadyjibes profile pic Alumni

"stay hungry, stay foolish" the world needs another Steve Jobs

reags
reags profile pic Alumni

As I type this in bed on my iPhone, I think Obama said it best that there's no greater tribute than for us to hear of his passing on the very devices he created. I admit I'm not a die hard Apple fan like many of my mates are, but I can't deny Steve's legacy.

RIP Steve.

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

Oh yeah KidPics!!!

I guess I was a Mac kid first. Macs were easier to use I didn't have to know anything about DOS or commands, and I played a lot of Shufflepuck and Super Munchers back in grade school. I'm not sure, but I think most school computers in the early to mid 90's were Macs, and my family's first real home computer was a Mac Performa!. (we were always a couple years behind the curve). I appreciate(d) the simplicity of many Macintosh functions: in junior high school I remember it being so easy to type special symbols like ñ, ©, and é with simple intuitive keystrokes like, Ctrl+Apple+N, none of this ALT+0241 crap!.

Bio-bot 9000
Bio-bot 9000 profile pic Alumni

Also, I'm not sure but I think we have the iMac to thank for the plethora of multicolored, semitransparent office supplies.

nathanwpyle at gmail.com
nathanwpyle at gmail.com profile pic Alumni

Just after I learned on the awesome Commodore 64, I used a Mac II - the whole wysiwyg thing blew my mind wide open and I was hooked on playing around with the basic art program on the machine.

Later it was a 'power mac', then a 'Performa' then an old iMac then an eMac and then another iMac - crazy to think how I grew up and developed as the machines became more sophisticated.

And when I first discovered iMovie I had no idea I'd be using the same basic skills years later in a television job.

The Apple machines really inspired both of my fields of interest - graphic art and television.

NomadSlim
NomadSlim profile pic Alumni

As much as his products have steered my life in the direction it is now, his Standford graduation speech is one of the greatest things I've ever heard in my life. That attitude toward life is the real gift he passes on.

The Tom

I agree, NomadSlim. I have watched that speech many times and find it to be one of the most valuable I have ever heard.

fuloprichard
fuloprichard profile pic Alumni

thank you steve.

@ISABOA - Your story..dude, i wish i had a dad like yours.

Manupix
1 design submitted -

I may yet have the privilege of being the earliest Apple user in this blog! The first computer I personally worked with as a student back in the very early 80s (yeah...) was an Apple II, when these were still new. I vaguely remember the project involved basic work with languages called Forth and Lisp, and I much more distinctly remember playing Pong on it =) I never used a mac for design, but my first own computer was a mac LC II which I got second hand for free, I only used it for office stuff. I sure miss the streamlined, sober B&W design of the old OS interface.

GyleDesigns
GyleDesigns profile pic Alumni

I was fortunate enough to grow up in a Mac family. The family mac was kind of old and sluggish, but I remember my excitement when my older brother (the nathanwpyle above) brought his then-new iMac home from college. I spent hours trying my hand at illustrator and photoshop.

Early this summer, my girlfriend and I broke up. Powering up my macbook and creating has been a catharsis for me.

Thanks for giving a face to innovation, Steve.

No account?
Join Us