Close
One second...

BANKSY (UPDATED - With Pictures!)

Did anyone else go to Banksy's 'Barely Legal' show in L.A. during the weekend? I went yesterday and thought his work was amazing. Plus, you can't beat anyone who spraypaints a live elephant and uses it for one of his pieces.
Here's the description of the show:

"There's an elephant in the room.
There's a problem that we never talk about.

The fact is that life isn't getting any fairer.

-1.7 Billion people have no access to clean drinking water.
-20 Billion people live below the poverty line.
-Every day hundreds of people are made to feel physically sick by morons at art shows telling them how bad the world is but never actually doing something about it.

Anybody want a free glass of wine?"

Anyone else know of or like Banksy's work? Has anyone (especially you Londoners) actually seen his work on the streets?

These are just some of the pictures I took (the others were blurry):

I went to the show on the last day, so the elephant was no longer spraypainted to blend in with the wallpaper...[sad face]. Sorry for the blurriness.

Watch this
speedyjvw

ohmg
aammaazzing
i was just looking at all of it online
brad pitt bought like 8 of um
100l plus each

sigh

Cactus Pirate Jr.

It's funny how many celebrities turned up for that preview show when some of his work actually makes fun of them.

staffell

Banksy is my hero

She Says So

ive seen 2 in london.

although one of them might have been an immatation.

bananaphone

yeah the elephant thing doesnt particularly impress me.

tesco

the jokes on you

Ronin60

He had rats scuttling about at one of the london shows and the securty guard was just bones; like a gallery that had been left to disrepair for several years. brilliant.

jublin

damn that's sick! i didn't know there was a show in LA. i live fairly close and i would have totally checked it out over the weekend if i knew about it.

Cactus Pirate Jr.

It's not so much the action of painting the elephant that you're supposed to concentrate on, but rather what the elephant stands for...here's what the little postcard thing for the show said:

"There's an elephant in the room.
There's a problem that we never talk about.

The fact is that life isn't getting any fairer.

-1.7 Billion people have no access to clean drinking water.
-20 Billion people live below the poverty line.
-Every day hundreds of people are made to feel physically sick by morons at art shows telling them how bad the world is but never actually doing something about it.

Anybody want a free glass of wine?"

jublin

hmmm... so clever. :)

talk show host

bansky is good, i like shepard fairey more though, but banksy has a simple style that gets his point across well, and usually in a very clever way

tankdoneone

i fuckin love that shit!!! BANKSY rules. did anyone read about his uninvited art showings?

elowsky

I don't like fairey at all. I'm sick of seeing him and all the usual suspects over and over again in Juxtapose and it prompts me to get to work.

jublin

looks like fun. i wish i could have made it. :/

sonmi

ooh. i didn't go to the show, but know a few people who did. here's a picture of the elephant when it was spraypainted:

kypade

Man I spent a good hour or plus looking at the pics and stuff the other day, so great. Too bad I'm pretty literally as far from Cali as you can get.

No account?