Close
One second...

Craft Beer Blog

To coincide with the launch of Finch's Threadless IPA, I thought it was time again to talk about a subject of great importance.

In this blog, we discuss all things craft beer.

Have a favorite beer? Try something new and want to post a review? Experimenting in homebrew?
Good, bad, or indifferent, I want to know what you are drinking.
Please share your beer tasting adventures.

Beer News 1, 2
Beer Distribution
Beer Dating
Beer Labels
Beer Events & Festivals Lookup

Rules
RULE 1 - Craft beer only. Please keep the BMC talk to a minimum.

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 12
  3. 13
  4. 14
  5. 15
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. 20
[+duracell-]

here's an old one

Great Divide Orabelle
8.3% ABV, ? IBUs
Tripel

ORABELLE is brewed with barley, wheat, oats and rye. This Belgian-Style Tripel is a golden beauty. Its two yeast strains, orange peel and dash of coriander impart surprising complexity and richness to this delicate ale. Don't let ORABELLS's demure nature fool you; this is one flavorful pour. Watch out, she's a charmer - one sip and you'll be in love.

A- under-carbonated, had to dump this in a more slender glass just to get some head - dissipated quickly

S- old orange juice, bubblegum, clove

T- bubblegum, orange peel, pear, rye, yeasty, musty, hay, dandelion, wheat, peppery, too much damn coriander, some alcohol

Eh..got disinterested halfway through my sixpack.

Suggested food pairings: Flemish beef stew, cured prosciutto and artisan salami, roasted Brussels sprouts, Gorgonzola cheese, and pecan pie

ratebeer: 87 Overall / 82 Style

[+duracell-]

^ Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
8.1% ABV, 50 IBUs

Wake-n-Bake is brewed with coffee roasted by Jittery Joe’s Coffee in Athens, GA. Terrapin and Jittery Joe’s built a unique coffee blend specific for this big Imperial Stout. You can purchase the actual Terrapin Wake-n-Bake coffee blend at Jittery Joe’s or online in 12oz. coffee cans.”

coffee, espresso bean, dark chocolate, roasty, molasses, cookie dough, subtle dark fruits, high drinkability

double thumbs :)

ratebeer: 99 Overall / 93 Style

--

felt like the appropriate beer for a day like today..

[+duracell-]

^
Otter Creek Kind Ryed IPA
6.5% ABV, 60 IBUs

Kind Ryed IPA is the newest addition to the Otter Creek quiver. This big American IPA is built to accompany the big Eastern Winter. Just like an epic bluebird day follows a snowstorm, a peppery build from the Rye-malt accompanies the glorious hop notes of pine, citrus and fresh grass. The bold Rye-malt backbone warms the soul, whether after a long day on the slopes with your buds, or just sitting in front of the fireplace at home. At 60 IBUs, Kind Ryed uses a combination of Apollo, Simcoe, Chinook and Centennial hops to create a drinkable brew that won’t wipe out your tastebuds. The new look bottle label and packaging artwork goes out-of-bounds and embraces the freeriding spirit of our Brewmaster Mike Gerhart. It’s his bus that adorns the label and his recipe that fills the bottles. Hop on the bus this Winter and take a Kind Ryed.

So So good, so good. Missed the Double Dose release but nbd, it was like $16.99 or something stupid. This one is a much better value @ $9. Nice full body, rounded mouthfeel. Hits the spot.

ratebeer: 96 Overall / 94 Style

--

bottled 01.10.14, drinkin' 01.25.14
Two cases dropped last Wednesday. I snagged the last one Friday morning. :D

Stone Enjoy By 02.14.14 IPA
9.4% ABV, ? IBUs
DIPA

You have in your hands a devastatingly fresh double IPA. While freshness is a key component of many beers- especially big, citrusy, floral IPAs- we’ve taken it further, a lot further, in this IPA. You see, we specifically brewed it NOT to last. We’ve not only gone to extensive lengths to ensure that you’re getting this beer in your hands within an extraordinarily short window, we made sure that the Enjoy By date isn’t randomly etched in tiny text somewhere on the bottle, to be overlooked by all but the most attentive of retailers and beer fans. Instead, we’ve sent a clear message with the name of the beer itself that there is no better time than right now to enjoy this IPA.

So dank. So fresh and so green. Some people seem to be getting some garlic and/or onion notes.. I'm not, not really. It's more like a dirty dish towel mustiness. But in a good way. I know that sounds stupid, whatever. Super hoppy brew. Double thumbs.

ratebeer: 100 Overall / 100 Style

[+duracell-]

@Hibrewnation, had some Heady Topper and BCBS.. jammin out with dude on cigar box guitar. Feelings good.

[+duracell-]

apparentlty skin tight jeans plus boots is all the rage

[+duracell-]

boy.. theses animal crackers..,they're the best animal crackers I've ever had. ghost pepper jerky.. yeah......yeah

[+duracell-]

^heh heh, i dont even remember typing that

--

a bit late with this one but..I'M BUSY! :P

Sierra Nevada Celebration Ale
6.8% ABV, 65 IBUs
IPA/Fresh Hop Ale

It was one of the first legitimate IPAs brewed in the “American” style and has never contained any spices; only hops, water, malt and yeast. Despite nearly 30 years of (roughly) the same recipe, we get lots of complaints each year from people who are expecting a spiced holiday “Winter warmer” style of beer. And oddly, we also get lots of emails from people telling us how delicious the spices we used tasted…specifically nutmeg and cinnamon. As I’ve said, this has never been the case. No spices are or were used in the beer. We chose to highlight Fresh Hop Ale to clue people in on the real nature of the beer so folks know what they’re getting into.

We use a blend of Cascade, Centennial and Chinook hops to create an interesting citrus, pine and (kind of) spiced flavor, but all of the higher tones in the beer come from hops and yeast esters.

S/T- cherry in simple syrup(fruit cup), red berry/cinnamon-like, orange, citrus, minty hops, pine, toffee

Time honored staple beer for Nov/Dec months. Can't go wrong.

ratebeer: 98 Overall / 99 Style

[+duracell-]

These guys finally expanded distro into the rest of MD last week. So naturally, I stocked up.

DC Brau The Public
6.0% ABV, ?? IBUs
American Pale Ale

The Public Pale Ale is brewed in the classic American Pale Ale style. Assertive bitterness backed by C-60 and Vienna malts which lend notes of rich, yet semi-dry caramel. Then followed up with a nice white grapefruit and citrus aroma that begs for a follow up sip.

BA magazine Issue #62 (Mar 2012):
LOOK: Dull copper
SMELL: Caramel, ruby red grapefruit juice, spicy, pine, fresh-cut hay
TASTE: Semi-crisp, thick caramel, pulling citric hop, spicy, nutty, mild esters, earthy, bitter, herbal tea, dirty mint, fallen nectarines, grainy finish

This beer speaks balance fluently. It is one serious APA, as the hops and malt battle it out and our palate was the collateral damage—thankfully, we can take a beating. Anyone who has reservations about canned craft beer needs to grab a six-pack of this.

Huh.. nice. Kinda smells like blue Slurpee.

ratebeer: 91 Overall / 93 Style

[+duracell-]

Snowed in here...again. Might as well open a big bottle. Feel like drinking something a little tart. Hmm, go for the Jolly Pumpkin Oro De Calabaza I purchased last night...or the Rodenbach Grand Cry I've been sitting on for ages. Decisions.

[+duracell-]

Jolly Pumpkin Oro de Calabaza
8.0% ABV, ? IBUs
Belgian Strong Ale / Bière de Garde

Artisan Golden Ale. Ale aged in oak barrels. Barrel aged & bottle conditioned. Aged in large oak casks and refermented in the bottle. Oro de Calabaza is brewed in the Franco-Belgian tradition of special golden ales. Spicy and peppery with a gentle hop bouquet and the beguiling influence of wild yeast.

Oh yeah, it's good.

ratebeer: 99 Overall / 98 Style

nokkelen

This is a website/gallery of the fine craft beers that come out of my hometown Victoria, BC. This is my buddy's website. He has introduced me to some fine beers that have changed my life. I shall never see the beer the same way again.

[+duracell-]

Cool website, man. And dat glass! D: I need dat glass.
Yeah it certainly is a never-ending world of discovery, that's for sure. Funny you mention Victoria. I'm all the way over here in York, PA. Just yesterday I stop by this local bottle shop to finally get this beer I've wanted for a couple years now. Knew it was being sold from a newsletter. Then I spot a bottle of Howe Sound Total Eclipse of the Hop sitting on the shelf. "What is this? A liter bottle with a pot-stopper? I've never heard of this. Hmm..." And I have to dig deep. I find out they're from Squamish BC..and they make other liter bottle beers.. and now I have to go back and check that out. It's fun, ya know?

nokkelen
[+duracell-] said:

Then I spot a bottle of Howe Sound Total Eclipse of the Hop sitting on the shelf. "What is this? A liter bottle with a pot-stopper? I've never heard of this. Hmm..." And I have to dig deep. I find out they're from Squamish BC..and they make other liter bottle beers.

They sit in a big lineup at the bottom of the cooler. Depending on the time of year it changes, but there are about four that always sit there. You have to get yourself a bottle of Hoyne's Big Bock, or the Voltage espresso Stout they make. Both small batches that you'd have to specialty order, because the beer doesn't actual retail off of the island. They're a family running a brewery and they are amazing!

I had a dream that they ran out of the Bok and then they closed. "There's no more bok! There's no more Hoyne!!" I went in to get a growler I told them the story and they all laughed. Sean, the brewmaster, walks around the corner and hands me a Bok from the very last bottling of the season that they won't be selling. "Anybody dreaming about this deserves to have it."

Beer is quite the cultural experience.

You should contact Smitty, Matt, on that Victoria Beers Website. I'm sure you two would have some valuable information to exchange.

Musarter
Musarter profile pic Alumni
[+duracell-] said:

^ Terrapin Wake-n-Bake Coffee Oatmeal Imperial Stout
8.1% ABV, 50 IBUs

Wake-n-Bake is brewed with coffee roasted by Jittery Joe’s Coffee in Athens, GA. Terrapin and Jittery Joe’s built a unique coffee blend specific for this big Imperial Stout. You can purchase the actual Terrapin Wake-n-Bake coffee blend at Jittery Joe’s or online in 12oz. coffee cans.”

coffee, espresso bean, dark chocolate, roasty, molasses, cookie dough, subtle dark fruits, high drinkability

double thumbs :)

ratebeer: 99 Overall / 93 Style

--

felt like the appropriate beer for a day like today..

Finally tried the Terrapin, Wake'n'bake. That is a good one and brewed with Jittery Joe's Coffee; Jittery Joe's if a coffee joint I often frequent.

[+duracell-]

Elysian Split Shot
5.6% ABV, 28 IBUs
Espresso Milk Stout

Malts: Northwest pale, C-15 and C-45 dextrine malts, Franco-Belges kiln coffee malt, Black, Roasted and Chocolate malts and flaked oats
Hops: Magnum hops add a touch of bitterness
Special: Milk sugar sweetens just a bit, and Stumptown coffee provides an invigorating richness

Beer and coffee are Seattle siblings, jealously dividing the day. Split Shot combines the talents of Elysian’s brewers with a pound per barrel of cold-infused, Seattle-produced Lighthouse coffee. It’ll open your eyes to a delicious new beer. Split Shot is the official beer of 2012 Seattle Beer Week.

^old description, they now use Stumptown Roasters

S/T - soft, teeth-staining chocolate, molasses, licorice, figs, currants, dark caramel, and biscotti + some char

I could tell this milk stout was quality under normal circumstances.. but there was a layer of oxidation and minerality that had crept its way in somehow and kinda ruined the experience for me. There was no date or batch number to be found anywhere so I didn't feel it was worth contacting the brewery about.

ratebeer: 97 Overall / 96 Style

[+duracell-]

Libations consumed at last fest:
(memory is fuzzy so may not be 100% accurate)

Jolly Pumpkin Fuego Del Otono
Jolly Pumpkin Maracaibo Especial
Miscreation Frank n Stout
Spring House The Martians Kidnap Santa Egg Nog Stout
Spring House Satan's Bake Sale Mint Chocolate Chip Stout
Spring House Lil' Gruesome Peanut Butter Jelly Stout
Tröegs Cultivator
Tröegs Nugget Nectar
Yards Rye
Great Lakes Dortmunder Gold
Thistle Finch White Rye Whiskey
Dogfish Head Bitches Brew
Dogfish Head Piercing Pils
Otter Creek/Lawson's Double Dose
Dogfish Head 75 Minute IPA
Goose Island Matilda
Goose Island Père Jacques
Summit Oatmeal Stout
Free Will Oatmeal Coffee Brown
Penn Dark
The Alchemist Heady Topper
BCBS
Old Republic Distillery Apple Pie Moonshine
Founders Red's Rye
Founders Breakfast Stout
Wyndridge Farm Crafty Cider
Great Lakes Burning River
Three Phase Savage
Liquid Hero Schweet Ale (i think??)
Baldy Beard Notorious F.I.G.
Baldy Beard Rumplestoutskin
Mikkeller Black Hole
Rogue Hazelnut Brown
Rogue Double Chocolate Stout
Hop & Barrel The Garden's Tale
Hop & Barrel 1x010 Fresh Hop - mango infused (run through randall)
Samuel Adams Merry Maker
Samuel Adams Rebel IPA
Evil Genius Forsaken

Shane Speal's Snake Oil Band
dude with the socks was jumping all around.. he had a washboard strapped to his chest rigged with percussion doohickey thingamabobs

Event organizer Matthew, doing some sick Tai Chi move here

Mr Rocks
Mr Rocks profile pic Alumni

Here's another of my labels designs.

I tried it, and it's good. Possible the 'reddest' red beer I have ever had. Hre's a cut and paste of their blurb:

Australia holds a special place in the hearts of the Karl Strauss Brewing Company. After all, while on a trip through Australia it was the Sail & Anchor Hotel that provided the inspiration to start a brewery in San Diego, so it only makes sense for the two to do a beer together. Enter 'The Bloke' - a limited edition Red Ale showcasing the two brewers talents. Karl Strauss has been doing red ales for 25 years, so when the idea came about naturally it was the style of choice they were both keen on creating. This collaboration brew delivers a hoppy, citrusy aroma from the the dry hop. Taste is medium body with balance from the hop and malt characters and a roasty malt finish.

[+duracell-]

Great job Blair! Man, this is such a great way to get your name out there, getting to work on a collaboration brew. I cant recall ever seeing a label that uses a deck of cards.. seems like that would be an obvious concept that should have been done many times over. Love that font and the characters. We dont get Karl Strauss stuff around here for some reason even though we get others from San Diego, else I'd have to give it a try. But I know they are a respectable brewery so..cheers!

[+duracell-]

Saucony Creek Hop Suplex
10.0% ABV, 92 IBUs
DIPA

Hop Suplex is juiced with six different hop varieties in the brew kettle and our slow, heavy weight dry-hop additions added by HopfenKubel. Hop Suplex Ale features Saucony's widest range of hop varieties and our most complex hopping schedule. Hop Suplex weighs in at 10% ABV compliments of a hefty grain bill, but a dose of honey balances the flavor and compliments the floral and strong citrus tones of grapefruit, melon, and gooseberry provided from our favorite selection of hops.

S- rock candy, bubble gum, butterscotch, honey, pineapple, blue cheese, gym locker...in that order

T- one of the beer doods at my store was adamant that this is better than Hop Slam. Which I thought was a pretty bold claim. He also said he drank it side by side with Heady Topper and it was "up there." Heady is brighter he says. Hmm, well this certainly has depth of flavor, I'll give ya that. And at $7.99 for a 4-pack, its waaay cheaper. I'd call that a win.

ratebeer: 91 Overall / 48 Style

R.I.P Ultimate Warrior

Musarter
[+duracell-] said:

Great job Blair! Man, this is such a great way to get your name out there, getting to work on a collaboration brew. I cant recall ever seeing a label that uses a deck of cards.. seems like that would be an obvious concept that should have been done many times over. Love that font and the characters. We dont get Karl Strauss stuff around here for some reason even though we get others from San Diego, else I'd have to give it a try. But I know they are a respectable brewery so..cheers!

That is a cool design/illustration/label.

I am not sure why Karl Strauss does not have much of a distribution. The Brewery is a long running institution in San Diego; my Dad even has stock in the company. Strauss makes a lot of different beers, standards and experiments, and he has German Brewing credentials.

That reminds me, next time I go to San Diego I must visit the Strauss and Pizza Port Breweries.

TheInfamousBaka
TheInfamousBaka profile pic Alumni

We opened up one of our bottles of the Game of Thrones stout for the premiere and holy dang it was good. I don't typically enjoy stouts because they're very bitter and I'm new to beer, but this was an exception. And we both got a pretty good buzz off of just the one bottle, which was nice. I want more!

Musarter
TheInfamousBaka said:

We opened up one of our bottles of the Game of Thrones stout for the premiere and holy dang it was good. I don't typically enjoy stouts because they're very bitter and I'm new to beer, but this was an exception. And we both got a pretty good buzz off of just the one bottle, which was nice. I want more!

If you like that one you should try Dragon's Milk by New Holland. Holy damn, that is great desert show-watching-sipping beer. It's my lady's favorite beer.

TheInfamousBaka
Musarter said:
TheInfamousBaka said:

If you like that one you should try Dragon's Milk by New Holland. Holy damn, that is great desert show-watching-sipping beer. It's my lady's favorite beer.

Thanks for the recommendation, Josh! :-D Next time I make an order from LetsPour I'll grab some if they're available. NOM NOM NOM.

[+duracell-]

Nice Tiff! Yeah, I think GoT (the series) is going to be my new guilty pleasure for awhile. I have a lot of catching up to do. Ned's dead?! Oh noes D:

Also, not sure if you know but there is a new GoT beer out now as of a few weeks ago called Fire and Blood. Three different dragon labels. It's a red/rye style spiced with ancho chilies. I've been waiting for more reviews to come in before I jump onboard, cause you know.. chili beers can be pretty hit or miss. But now that I check, its scoring in the 90s so thats a good sign. :)

[+duracell-]

...Though I guess if your palate isn't used to bitter yet you probably won't be into that one. I agree with Josh there, go with a stout on the sweeter end of the spectrum. One with bourbon-y vanilla notes like the New Holland or a standard milk stout like Left Hand or Duck Rabbit.

Heh, that reminds me. So this pizza place/bottle shop nearby announced it was selling its yearly allotment of Founders KBS (bourbon barrel aged stout) when they opened last Saturday morning. Limit 1 12oz bottle per person, usually sells for ~$5.99 per. Yeah, they had knuckle-heads lined up TWO HOURS early just to get a shot at buying one. Heh, I mean, I try not to judge, but people.. try to have a little bit of common sense. It's just beer.

TheInfamousBaka

Ooooh, I'd love to try a beer that has chilies in it. I need to ask for beer for my birthday. LetsPour is expensive, but it's pretty much impossible to find anything but local craft beers around here.

People wait in line for iPhones... strange folk of all kinds out there.

[+duracell-]

Not drinking this one just yet, but thought I should share this masterpiece of a label before it goes in the cellar. :)

Evil Twin / Westbrook / CBX Justin Blåbær
4.5% ABV, ?? IBUs
Blueberry Berliner Weisse

[+duracell-]

DC Brau The Citizen
7.0% ABV, ?? IBUs
Belgian Pale Ale

The Citizen Belgian Ale is inspired by the timeless Tripel style ales of Belgium. Using a traditional high gravity "Abbey" yeast strain that encourages the production of highly palatable ethanol notes supported by Aromatic and Carapils malts. "The Citizen" also exhibits the noble hop spiciness that is common to most Belgian Ales.

BA magazine Issue #62 (Mar 2012):
LOOK: Golden orange

SMELL: Asian pear, taffy, green peppercorn, shortbread biscuits, floral

TASTE: Smooth, creamy, biscuity, peppery, hop bitterness, herbal, faint medicinal phenols, plummy, maraschino cherry, clean alcohol, tangerine pith, bitter semidry finish

A robust “Abbey” ale yeast strain created this brew, so it has the traits of a bigger beer without a massive amount of alcohol. Very complex, this is not one to just knock back as each sip peels back another layer of flavor.

+orange marmalade

ratebeer: 67 Overall / 75 Style
me: B+

[+duracell-]

DC Brau Penn Quarter Porter
5.5% ABV, ?? IBUs

Penn Quarter Porter is our first in a line of draft-only limited-release beer, and it’s a robust porter! In the way that The Public is on the line between a pale ale and an IPA, this is on the line between a porter and a stout - with chocolate notes and a dry, roasted finish.

roasty espresso and dark chocolate mocha - good balance, oreos, cream, toast, raisin, black cherry, hint of smoke, pleasant char, touch of chalk, slick mouthfeel, dry finish

probably my favorite porter at the moment

ratebeer: 97 Overall / 98 Style

[+duracell-]

DC Brau On The Wings Of Armageddon
9.2% ABV, ?? IBUs
DIPA

OTWOA is a single hop blend* beer utilizing Falconers Flight™. Brewed with just enough Pale malt, Cara-60, CaraPils and Malted wheat to carry the intense hop character onto the pallet.

At first glance, it has an orange hue in the glass with a viscus, rocky head that refuses to dissipate. Upon first sniff there are dominate aromas of citrus, white grapes and grapefruit with light bread and biscuit notes. After the first sip we taste a mellow bitterness that only grows as more is consumed. Moderately carbonated, deceptively smooth, refreshingly dry and extremely heady for a beer at 9.2% ABV

thoughts later, so sleepy

ratebeer: 99 Overall / 97 Style

[+duracell-]

Smuttynose Durty Mud Season Hoppy Brown Ale
8.4% ABV, 55 IBUs

Malts: North American 2-Row, Munich 10L, Chocolate, C-60, Brown Malt
Hops: Bittering-Magnum, Flavor- Nugget, Dry Hop- CTZ and Chinook
Yeast: White Labs WLP-001 American Ale

Smuttynose is proud to introduce our eighteenth Short Batch Beer, "Durty," a brown IPA! There’s no denying that IPA is king of the craft beer world right now. The style is getting so popular that even the big brewers are attempting their own versions, while IPA sub-styles, like session IPA, double IPA, white IPA and black IPA, continue to be created and defined. Brown IPAs combine the caramel and nutty-biscuity flavors of a brown ale, with an American IPA-sized does of hops; it’s pretty straight-forward, but pretty delicious. On to the beer...Durty is a big beer (8.4% abv, 55 IBU) packed full of big hops. We’ve used Polaris, a new German high alpha variety for bittering, followed by American hop icon, Nugget, for the flavor additions and finally, a boatload of Simcoe post-fermentation for dry-hopping. The malt selection isn’t too different from Old Brown Dog, but it’s a bit heavier on the nutty character and dark cocoa notes.

very creamy, its interesting, subtle chocolate, some chicory notes in there, tootsie roll, citrus hops, floral, grapefruit, pine cuts through the caramel/toffee
yeah good

ratebeer: 96 Overall / 86 Style

drinking their baltic porter as we speak. would post a review of that one too but its kicking my ass right now so dont think tats possible :P

[+duracell-]

Weihenstephaner Original Premium
5.1% ABV, ?? IBUs
Munich Helles Lager

Review from BeerAdvocate magazine Issue #26: Very pale golden yellow with a stunning clarity; sizable, spritzy head holds together well. Smells of freshly cut grass, pale honey, doughy biscuit, faint grape skin, and it's a little peppery from the hops. Impeccably smooth with a very delicate, light to medium body. Clean maltiness throughout, not all the way dry as some sweetness sneaks in at first sip. Bitterness is clean with a peppery bite and herbal backing. The graininess is just enough to pique the palate's interest, yet doesn't cloud drinkability. Finishes dry with a very clean aftertaste of pale malt and grassy hops.

What a lovely yet delicate lager, an underrated as well as overlooked beer, as the spotlight usually shines on its wheat beer brother. No frills and fits with the style. An ease to quaff back a half liter (or a full liter, for the more ardent lager lover).

Decent all-around beer that works well paired with most foods. Id imagine this would be a good one to have at an event, such as a wedding, when you are trying to please everyone, craft and BMC drinkers alike.

ratebeer: 49 Overall / 95 Style
beeradvocate: 91 BA Score / 100 The Bros

[+duracell-]

DC Brau The Tradition
5.0% ABV, 15 IBUs
Golden Ale/Blond Ale

Hops: U.S. Fuggle, U.S. Cascade
Malts: Pale, CaraPils

The Tradition is a limited-release D.C. United specific beer - the only one of its kind in the DC sports world.

"My motivation for making this particular beer with D.C. United came from a willingness to make an ale that all soccer fans can enjoy," said DC Brau President and Head Brewer Jeff Hancock. "United fans drink all kinds of different beer, and with this particular ale I wanted it to reach a broad spectrum of palettes from those who drink everything from light lagers to hoppy pale ales. There's a little something for everybody in this Golden Ale!"

ratebeer: 55 Overall / 87 Style

D.C. United 2014 Home Matches schedule on the back of the can. Brilliant!

[+duracell-]

Ommegang Chocolate Indulgence
7.0% ABV, ?? IBUs
Stout/Belgian Dark Ale

10th Anniversary beer
Chocolate malts and real Belgian chocolate blend into this lushly decadent stout, certain to seduce your palate. Chocolate Indulgence comes with a thick tan head of foam resting on top of the rich onyx-colored liquid. The aroma immediately speaks of dark chocolate and dark malts. The gentle herbal nose of Perle hops compliments the darker notes, making the beer savory to the senses.

The taste continues with the intense Belgian dark chocolate gliding across the tongue; starting sweet up front but giving way to rich cocoa flavors at the back. Through it all, a subtle fruitiness from our special Belgian yeast gives the beer brightness otherwise foreign to a beer style normally associated with gray foggy skies.

Hmm, smell is a little off w/ some faint plastic in the background. Obviously, with a name like that I came in expecting some massive dark chocolate. To be honest though, its not really very chocolatey at all. I'm getting more prune and pit fruit-like notes than anything. I don't think its infected. But wow, for what I paid (i think $14.xx), I wanted a bit more complexity. Should be priced in line with most of the regulars at ~$10.99 imo.

ratebeer: 96 Overall / 96 Style

[+duracell-]

6.7% ABV, 35 IBUs

Malts: 2 Row, Crystal, Chocolate, Roasted Barley
Hops: Tettnang and Warrior

pours near black w/ garnet edges, mouthfeel is a little thin, light carbonation, dusty, firm roast, wheat bread crust, slight minerality, choc/pb combo is like one of those little generic foil wrapped Easter eggs.

Eh, its worth a single or draft pint.

ratebeer: 62 Overall / 43 Style
BA: 82

[+duracell-]

Here's a handfull of old pics;

Harpoon Leviathan Great Scott
10.2% ABV, 33 IBUs
Scotch Ale

Leviathan Great Scott pays homage to the celebrated Wee Heavy Scottish Ales of the past. This beer is a full-flavored, full-bodied dark ale with a complex malt character. The hint of smokiness is a tribute to the peated malts that were historically used in Scottish brewing. Relax and enjoy with bagpipes playing in your head (kilt optional)

s/t- boozy, caramel apple

ratebeer: 82 Overall / 56 Style

--

Flying Fish Abbey Dubbel
7.2% ABV, 9.1 IBUs

Malts: Two-Row Pale, Munich, Special B, Chocolate, Demerera Sugar
Hops: Styrian Golding
Yeast: Belgian Abbey Ale

This Belgian-style Abbey Dubbel is an exceptionally complex beer with many interwoven flavors. This classic-style Abbey beer features an immense head with a fruity nose and a generous body. Malty in the middle, the beer features a clean, almondy dry finish and a slight alcohol warmth. More like a wine than a beer—it has a lot of the qualities of a fine Burgundy. The beer is bottle-conditioned.

Beer writer Michael Jackson has praised the Flying Fish Dubbel as "a wonderful example of the style.

decent dubbel

ratebeer: 79 Overall / 79 Style

[+duracell-]

Maine Beer Peeper Ale
5.5% ABV, ?? IBUs
APA

An American-style ale brewed one barrel at a time. The malt bill is built on American two-row malt and accented by crystal 10, Vienna, and white wheat malts. Magnum hops give the beer a nice clean bittering and Amarillo, Cascade, and Centennial hop varieties provide a pleasant floral and citrusy hop flavor. A healthy dose of additional Amarillo and Centennial are dry hopped to give this beer an inviting hop aroma. The beer is fermented with a neutral yeast strain and allowed to dry out so it finishes crisp and clean.

Awesome beer but dang yo, it's like $7.50. For a PALE ALE.
Labels have this pearlescent sheen to them that made my camera phone bug out.

ratebeer: 97 Overall / 99 Style

--

Sierra Nevada Kellerweis Hefeweizen
4.8% ABV, 15 IBUs

Kellerweis is one of the only American Hefeweizens made using the traditional Bavarian style of open fermentation. This difficult and labor-intensive technique adds uncommon depth and flavor complexity. Our hazy-golden hefeweizen is deeply flavorful, refreshing and perfect for a sunny day. To serve, pour two-thirds into a glass, swirl and pour the rest.

Great beer but for some reason it doesnt sell very well and there was talk of dropping it from the line-up. Don't know if that has happened/is still happening.

ratebeer: 95 Overall / 100 Style

[+duracell-]

Southern Tier Live
5.5% ABV, ?? IBUs
APA/IPA

Strong citrus hops balanced with malt breadiness. This is new take on our Pale Ale.

A really nice surprise from these guys. One of the top new beers of '12/'13 in this style for sure. Love the ticket stub packaging.

ratebeer: 96 Overall / 99 Style

[+duracell-]

From dinner this evening:

Ithaca Flower Power IPA
7.5% ABV, 75 IBUs

Malt: 2-Row Pale, Honey Malt
Hops: Simcoe, Chinook, Citra, Ahtanum, Centennial
Dry-Hop: Simcoe, Amarillo, Centennial

Enjoy the clover honey hue and tropical nose. Simultaneously Punchy and soothing with a big body and a finish that boasts pineapple and grapefruit. Flower power is hopped and dry-hopped five different times throughout the brewing and fermentation process.

S/T- peachy, huge floral & herbal hops, dry hopping is very apparent, some pineapple, maybe mango, pine, honey, bright grapefruit, lemon peel/pith, sticky dry finish

K, so I first got this on draft and it was downright terrible. I thought there must have been a mix-up and I received someones Miller High Life or something. Then I noticed there was like zero carbonation. No tiny bubbles streaming.. nothing. Ok, this sucks. Not sure how that happens. Luckily though, they also had it in bottles so I got another and my suspicions were confirmed. A thousand times better.

ratebeer: 97 Overall / 97 Style

[+duracell-]

Rodenbach Grand Cru
6.0% ABV, ?? IBUs
Flemish Red/Brown

A mixed fermentation ale, Rodenbach is matured in oak vats, giving this ale a signature sweet-sour taste and intense bouquet with a very long aftertaste like a Grand Cru wine. Rodenbach Grand Cru is a blend of "young" ale (33%) and ale that has matured for two years (67%).

damn, just... damn.

ratebeer: 99 Overall / 91 Style
BA: 95/100

[+duracell-]

drinkin' Deschutes Chainbreaker White IPA @ York Revs

[+duracell-]

^old label

Ballast Point Sculpin IPA
7.0% ABV, 70 IBUs

A trophy beer that’s a testament to our homebrew roots. Our Sculpin IPA is a great example of what got us into brewing in the first place. After years of experimenting, we knew hopping an ale at five separate stages would produce something special. The result ended up being this gold-medal winning IPA, whose inspired use of hops creates hints of apricot, peach, mango and lemon flavors, but still packs a bit of a sting, just like a Sculpin fish.

This is still my favorite IPA of all time. Like take a sip and, ahh fuuuuk calgon take me away. Gotta consume it fresh though. Fresh for Sculpin means 2 weeks. At day 15, it takes a nosedive and goes from earth-shattering to.. just great. Being on the east coast, I've had the pleasure(?) of testing this phenomenon many many times with different batches. Same thing every time. Hardcore connoisseurs will take exception though. This beer is shit compared to the old old yellow label version apparently. But I'll never know what that's like.

ratebeer: 100 Overall / 100 Style
BA: 100

[+duracell-]

Aw man you tease! This one is gonna be sick, I can tell.
Heh, and that movie looks like it could actually be pretty funny. Jemaine Clement cracks me up.

[+duracell-]

Half Acre Daisy Cutter
5.2% ABV, 60 IBUs
Pale Ale

A west coast Pale Ale chock-full of dank, aromatic hops. This one’s a screamer, horde it.

this BA dood's review sounded bout right at the time..
Thanks to my awesome girlfriend for picking up this gem... Poured from 16oz can into fluted snifter/fat tulip/whatever. Mostly clear honey orange color with a nice fluffy snow white head that fades a bit then slows down, fed by lively carbonation. Nice solid lacing is left as it slowly descends from there. Smell is awesome; floral, clean malt, bright citrus and slight tropical fruit, with a bit of dank herbal. Taste is very crisp, simple floral and bitter citrus rind hops with ghostly tropical fruit and sweeter citrus, clean grassy flavors. This is complex, flavorful but light on the palate and drinkable as hell. I could slam these all day, in the best way. Mouthfeel is light, crisp and clean. Wet, not sticky at all. Awesome and refreshing Overall, this is the best session beer I've had. Very light in the mouth, but full in flavor, crisp and clean, amazingly well done.

Got a few singles of this, $4 each. Not sure what a 4-pack normally goes for locally, maybe $11? Stuff is good though, mmm mmm. Wish it wasnt so limited around here.

ratebeer: 99 Overall / 100 Style

Page:
  1. 1 ...
  2. 12
  3. 13
  4. 14
  5. 15
  6. 16
  7. 17
  8. 18
  9. 19
  10. 20