Loves Characters (Does this need more?)

Submitted!

Watch this
SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

fun idea

I'd like to see it with the :^| face over to the right more. Would balance the position of both the faces then.

cartooner
cartooner profile pic Alumni

by the " :^| face ", do you mean the top one? if so, that is a good point, and I def will play with that change. do you think it needs more? I thought about a word bubble but nixed that idea (is nixed a word?)

cartooner

i updated the image. per ryan's suggestion i balanced out the faces better

cartooner

thinking about submitting this soon (for loves characters). any input about if it needs more?

cartooner

i hate bumping, but i would leave to hear any feedback

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

This is a really clever idea.

I like the faces/expressions you have right now, but it may be worth experimenting with some different ones. Try really exaggerating the happy and sad/worried faces.

Also the whole thing is a bit drab. Maybe you can play on the moods of the characters with color. Make the half full side bright and the half empty side dull. If that doesn't work, I would brighten the whole illustration up.

cartooner

thanks ibyes, i have been playing around with the color, and i will see what brightening it up more does for it.

you gave me a lot of things to think about and i love that. as far as content, do you think the design can hold its own with so little going on?

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

That remains to be seen, but there is nothing wrong with keeping it simple. It's for the character contest, so although you can think about adding elements that tell more of a story, it really should be a clear idea that could easily be made into a costume.

cartooner

updated. i changed the lighting and i think that it really helps the design (both visually and conceptually)

working on another small revision, but would love to hear more. i think it is close to being finished

cartooner

V2 is my revision. I like how the nervous droplet turned out, but I would love to hear what you think about it

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

I'm not feeling the droplet. I get what you were going for but I think the emotion is more sad then worried. Also the execution of the droplet isn't working for me as it is right now.

deepspacemonkey
deepspacemonkey profile pic Alumni

MORE?!? YOU WANT MORE?!?

I can never resist that stupid line from oliver twist... it's like roger rabbit with the shave and a haircut bit

cartooner

ya, i am back and forth with the droplet...

cartooner

if I were to go with the droplet ibyes, what about the execution is working for you? (if I may ask) any suggestions?

ibyes
ibyes profile pic Alumni

have the drip on the side of the glass like this

not coming from the lip. Also I think it is blending in too much with the glass right now. Maybe when you try it on the inside of the glass that will help. Try it close to what would be the pessimists face brow,

cartooner

ya, i will play around with that. it is still very possible that i just go without the drop at all

cartooner

it is up for scoring!

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

don't worry aaron! we're not the first to play with the idea

good luck!

No account?
Join Us