Close
One second...

What was it like seeing your mom pregnant?

No, I'm not being fresh or trying to start a snaps battle!

I'm the younger of two boys, and I just kind of realized the last few weeks that until my girlfriend got pregnant, I have never been in close proximity on a day-to-day basis to any woman going through the process of materializing a child within their body. Watching the process day to day, slowly but steadily (and occasionally with freakishly giant leaps) fill out Tina's tummy is pretty crazy, seeing something that is equal parts of our gene pools opening Tina up to increased sickness, lethargy and breathing issues as her body's resources are diverted and divided for two persons to thrive. She can feel the child fluttering and kicking but I still can't, the mother's bond already closer to Charlie in their tiny internal communications with one another than a father could expect. He's already testing boundaries and isn't even out of the breeding chamber yet!

It struck me as odd that my brother witnessed nine months of watching our mother go through the same process that birthed him but from the outside this time, lol. He had a whole experience of awaiting my arrival and seeing the changes first-hand as well, but at six years old, his view of the world still very much not set in stone, who knew what it all meant to him, or even if it seemed out of the ordinary at all.

Any of you with younger siblings, what was it like as a child to see your mom pregnant and what do you remember about the experience? Did you fully understand that another playmate would be entering the family soon? Was it scary or exciting?

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
CazKing
CazKing profile pic Alumni

I was second born and mum had two more after me but I can't remember much about it. I have had two kids though so I know what ur girlfriend is going through. It's so weird seeing ur belly get bigger and bigger and towards the end there is so much kicking and little lumps and bumps sticking out when they move - it's feels like you've got a little alien in there! So are you calling him Charlie? Great name choice if you are! (my 3 year old girl is called Charlie!) :)

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

haha, yeah, we're gonna name him Charlie Wyatt Ferstenfeld. The Ferstenfeld will come in soon after when we get married after we have the child. Tina said she doesn't want to have a baby bump in her wedding gown photos :)

That's so cool you have a female Charlie. We were gonna go with Ellie Harper if it was a girl...Tina wants two even though I told her I just wanna test my parental waters with the one firs, so if our second child its a girl we'll probably name her that.

FRICKINAWESOME

aww Char, don't cry cause then I'll start crying and then people at work will wonder why I'm weeping and hugging the computer screen. I'm gonna hit you back on your last email soon, promise! Miss uuuu!

The most reassuring advice I've gotten so far from a girl at work was:

"One, it's totally worth it.

And two, it gets easier to do."

Mya Jamila

I'm a second born. I don't have any other siblings, no cousins that are younger and I've had no close contact with anyone who has been pregnant. It's a wonder I know where babies come from.*

*Not actually. I may have grown up in Africa but I had lots of books.

CazKing

OMG Evan thats spooky - we called our second little one Ruby (she's 11 months now) but we were actually gonna call her Ellie but we changed it at the last minute to Ruby! We are actually pondering a third - can you believe it - 3 kids! I'm not sure I could cope with 3 but my hubbie wants to try for a boy!

SnakeMan
SnakeMan profile pic Alumni

i'm the oldest of seven kids. i have around 20 younger cousins. i'm an uncle twice over.

this is a big yawnfest for me.

SnakeMan

even my roommate's girlfriend got pregnant last year.

i think i'm an aphrodisiac.

thedeetzes
thedeetzes profile pic Alumni

I'm the younger of four and I wonder about this too. I really hope everything turns out well for you guys!

emoisforposers

this is the cutest blog in the world ever.

L-M-N-O-P
L-M-N-O-P profile pic Alumni

I've been close to it twice. It's kinda weird. It's bad for me because I tend to say 'the-wrong-thing' or say 'the-right-thing-the-wrong-way' (in life...I'm one to speak my mind), and when a woman is going through mood-swings and weird food cravings...I've just learned to stay away. It's gonna be an interesting experience, I tell you that much.

FRICKINAWESOME

Mya, haha@lots of book readings. I haven't been anywhere in the world outside of the US (Canada when i was a kid doesn't really count), so all i know about world cultures is what i've read/watched.

Carol, I can't believe your dude is clamoring for more, it's usually the other way around. I personally think one is gonna be more than enough for me, but who knows how it'll feel when Charlie has been out and about of the womb for a couple years and we both feel he needs a playmate around his age to look after and love :) So crazy about our name similiarities! Congrats on your almost one year old, Ruby is a nice vintage name. Tina and I are all about names that used to be popular but have fallen out of style...time to bring back the awesome names of our grandparent's era!

Holy crap Rob, oldest of seven???? haha@this all being old hat for you, so what were your feelings as more and more brothers/sisters piled up around you?

Thanks deetz!

haha Jeremy, yes it's already been quite the mood tester. Tina used to sleep for seven-eight hours like clockwork and now she's up and about and completely out of her sleep schedule and regular flow for the last month or two. And yes, she'll go from good times/us ubsting each other's balls to me apparently going too far and then she'll be really hurt by what i said. And I'm all like "BUT WE WERE JUST HAVING FUN WITH ONE ANOTHER, WHY WOULD I SAY SOMETHING TO HURT YOU!?!?" hehe, it's quite the roller coaster.

YOU'RE the cutest blog Dez!

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

evan this is a lot of words. could you just tell it to me in movie references next time I see you?

FRICKINAWESOME

hahah Mitchie, my life feels like a cocktail of 80's Kevin Bacon flicks, like He Said/She Said mixed with She's Having A Baby.

And then when the child's running around in the real world causing havok, I imagine life being more like Baby's Day Out. I can't wait to meet Fat Tony!

Chipmnk

Yeah, I'm the youngest so I have no idea.

...I'm actually not sure that I've ever been around a pregnant woman.

spacesick
spacesick profile pic Alumni

you know me so well. it's pretty bonkers.

SJ27

Hey I just realised Juno and Junior have similar sounding names.

pregnancymoviemashups

SJ27

I don't remember my mum being pregnant though, even though I'm oldest of three.

Jake Friedman

I have two younger sisters, one was born when I was six-ish, so I don't have much recollection of that, but my mom gave birth to my other sister when I was eleven. I remember being exciting about having another sister.
As for my perspective of Mrs. Friedman, I'd say it was a little weird. I mean, there was another person in my mom, which is kinda cool and gross at the same time. I remember helping her do a lot of chores and what not. That's really about it.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

my daughter used to brace herself in my wife if i took a corner too fast in the car. it's cool when they get to the stange they can kick the tv remote off her belly or something, and you can actually see it. i used to talk to emma's stomach a lot or put headphones on it and play music to it. i don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but on about the third day after giving birth a mothers boobs transform into magical tight huge shiny zepplins, but for the love of god don't touch them. they're ultra tender. it's natures cruelest prank.

littlem

i don't remember much of witnessing the evil that grew inside my mom's body when i was a few months past 4 years old. all i know is that evil still exists and its name is daddydom!

hahhahahaa

CazKing

so right about the vintage names. And Leon yes the boob thing is so true! It's a combination of don't touch because they are so frickin sore and DON'T TOUCH THEY'RE FOR THE BABY RIGHT NOW! haha - hormones do crazy things to ya when you have a baby - i really feel sorry for all you blokes!

Robbino

This was soo long ago, but I can kinda remember. To be honest, it made me feel important, like I could help with something.

Congrats on the little one!

littlem

yeah, when the milk comes in, bewbs are way tender. i was pretty happy with the way my bod looked when my babies were about 4 months old, though. just sayin. lolol

CazKing

milk filled boobs are way hot.

i got work to do on my bod after 2 kids.

littlem

doo itttt!

CazKing

a boob lift would be awesome

Mya Jamila

FRICKINAWESOME on Mar 09 '11 at 10:59pm Mya, haha@lots of book readings. I haven't been anywhere in the world outside of the US (Canada when i was a kid doesn't really count), so all i know about world cultures is what i've read/watched. Heh. I read a lot as a kid. I kept all my kids books so, I can probably find my first body/baby book. Actually, it probably wasn't mine. It was probably bought for my sister when my mum was pregnant with me...In regards to traveling, maybe you'll have a chance when your expectant one is older. :D

FRICKINAWESOME

Chipmnk on Mar 09 '11 at 11:07pm Yeah, I'm the youngest so I have no idea.

...I'm actually not sure that I've ever been around a pregnant woman.

You mean, besides actually growing into a human inside one, right? :p

Mitch, I sometimes feel like we're entertainment twins separated at birth...sadly having more in common with these guys than the Winklevoss twins.

Thanks Jake for the recollections, I'm probably thinking it was a bigger deal than it really was since I never experienced it. We were all pretty young mostly if we had another brother /sister, so it's probably something that wasn't given that much thought to other than "mommy's gonna have another me coming out of her belly soon!"

Leon, that's hilarious regarding the remote and hanging on to the womb when you take a steep turn. I'm thinking about doing the headphones thing soon, Tina and I are planning on going to a bunch more concerts before Charlie's born, so he can get some funky bass player plucking out a tune, reverberating like crazy and super-charging him for a life of passion and art! Or sports if he chooses to do that, sigh.

i don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but on about the third day after giving birth a mothers boobs transform into magical tight huge shiny zepplins, but for the love of god don't touch them. they're ultra tender. it's natures cruelest prank.

Yeah man, haha, someone told me about this a couple days ago and their husband's jaw dropping and non-stop gawking for a few minutes when he first saw them in full milk production mode. That sucks about the no-groping policy, but it'll still be a fun sight to see :D

Thanks Robbino, I'm glad that's how you took the birth of your sibling. If we have another one after this, it'll be something I'll try to instill in my older child so they can take pride and be excited for another member of the Ferstenfeld clan.

haha littlem@the evil that grew inside my mom's body.

taz-pie

pregnant women are wierd mang. i have no siblings, and i am the youngest cousin.

Kim456

First off.... HUGE CONGRATS!!!!!

What was weirder for me was my step-mum being pregnant the same time I was!!!! Yes, I went to school with her, and yes ... well done Dad!

FRICKINAWESOME

Taz, true words yo, tru. Tina is being a little pissier than usual when I expect her to react to something I'm doing with amusement, and when she's sick and feeling miserable, we're actually getting along better. Bizarro relationship world indeed. I'm kind of getting used to it though, like the vessel the crew members of Apollo 13 had to re-learn how to navigate after the shuttle blew up and all the navigation meters were knocked unstable.

Thanks Kim, appreciate it! Whoa, that's some 90's talk show situation material right there Kimmie... :)

mullmuggins

I was only 2 when my mum was pregnant, so I don't really remember it. The only memory I have is of being at the doctors with her for a scan or something and her reading a book called Ghosts to me, then the doctor came in and interrupted the story and we never finished it. (I'd probably had it read to me about 10,000 times, so I wasn't too hard done by)

I think I have middle child syndrome.

sausage_moe

i don't know if anyone's mentioned it, but on about the third day after giving birth a mothers boobs transform into magical tight huge shiny zepplins, but for the love of god don't touch them. they're ultra tender. it's natures cruelest prank.

that.

and also: I was four when my first brother was born and six when the second one came into this world and I don't remember ANYTHING of that. everyday is going to be soo different from the one before that. that's what I learned from my wife's pregnancy and my kid. and life becomes so much more awesome even though it's gonna be exhausting sometimes, too.

ma kettle

lol @ Abi's middle child syndrome!!

Eldest is spoilt by being first born, youngest is spoilt 'cos there's to be no more babies....middle child syndrome? Nooooo!! they are the well adjusted ones!! haha!!

soloyo
soloyo profile pic Alumni

I am the second of 4 siblings but sadly most of my childhood memories are repressed ( long, sad not for this blog story ) so I don't remenber seeing my mom pregnant. I do however remenber my ex-wife pregnant, she never look so cute as she did while pregnant. And if you never believed on love at first sight how about love at first notification as it happens when you know that you will be a father. You fall in love with someone you haven't actually even seen yet!

myteemo
myteemo profile pic Alumni

My sister is 6 years younger than me, so I should remember more about my mom's pregnancy, but I don't. I do remember the day she came home. I had been at school that day and when I got off the school bus I ran as fast as my little legs could carry me to meet her. She was a magical little bundle. Little did I know she would spend years getting into my stuff and following me around like a puppy. I can't imagine my world without her.

SnakeMan

yeah, man, i can't really contribute anything meaningful. pregnant women are such a common thing for me... i always know someone who is pregnant. i'm telling you, i have the magic touch or something. my sister and two of my cousins both had kids this year already and a girl i work with is about ready to pop. oh, and another cousin is pregnant.

myteemo

backs away from robs magic touch

littlem

you mean rob's magic wiener?

Disgruntled_Pacifist

First of all Congrats buddy, I had no idea this was going on. My wife and I are expecting any day now, it's our second. Our son freaked out a little bit when he felt the baby kick (hes 2-½) and he likes to kiss mommy's tummy. He does kind of expect the baby to pop out forward though.

I'm the youngest so I have no idea of watching my Mom go though a pregnancy though so I just live vicariously through Malcolm.

So if you only want one kid watch Idiocracy if you haven't all ready then decide how many you want :D.

SnakeMan

today i ran around touching women. buy stock in diapers.

FRICKINAWESOME

think I have middle child syndrome.

haha Abi, there's an entire tv show dedicated to that phenomenon with some kid named Malcolm :)

Thanks for the thoughts sausage moe, it's cool you're oldest to two other siblings! My older brother was pretty damned cool though, he's six years older than me, but a lot of times he would let me hang out with his friends in the backyard or when they had a party...and usually start playing wrestling matches and tossing me around like a mixed salad. I still tell my brother i blame a lot of my back problems on him and his friends suplexing me over and over again on their knees...

Nestor, sorry about your repressed family memories, i hope that gets worked out and made peace with within yourself one day :( As for the love at first site thing, I've heard about that, I hope it happens to me and Charlie!

Monica, that is by far the cutest story of the blog, hand's down. That's a wonderful tribute to your younger sis!

haha@Rob's potent man-seed staring/touching preggers powers.

Dennis, thanks so much man, didn't know you were having another child so soon! haha@your son kissing his mommy's tummy, that's so fucking adorable. Yes, I've seen and own Idiocracy, that movie makes me have second thoughts about kids and well, pretty much everything that "progress" and corporate sponsors has reaped and raped.

Wylie Knowords

I went to 50 or 60 Threadless sites and read those slogans and looked at the few illustrations. I am getting 40 to 70 votes. I'm good. Then I just discovered you, Even, and Bio-bot 9000 and Larlar. Quite a shock. Are you 3 the top Threadless writer/artists? Evan, what a variety of styles. (That is a compliment from me. Once the Virginia Museum store told me I had too many styles--my photos--to put in their gift shop so I put them in small galleries where they all sold.) Now that I have discovered Threadless I wish I were an artist. The artist who did the cover of my new book does restaurant murals, illustrations, and more. (www.MattEllistrations.com) My book has 2 covers and when opened turns into 2 books. It is The World's Most Creative (And Dangerous) Quote Book: www.knowords.com. It is at the pre-agent, get famous creative people blurbs. Another artist friend in Richmond,VA is Keith Van Allen -animations www.vanallenanimation.com. (Keith is working on a Ray Bradbury (one of my heroes) short film. Great website. His house. Are the 3 of you in the same city? Chicago? Is there a magic number of votes you get your shirt printed? I asked Bio-bot 9000 this question, when I go up above to your huge number of slogans, if I vote for lots of them will the votes count? Are any out of voting time? (See, I don't know much about Threadless. If I can vote, send me a message and I will go back and vote for the ones I like. (Never flag and seldom vote stupid.) If I can ever help you, let me know. On Twitter I am: Wylieknowords and my e-mail: nwyliejones@hotmail.com. Wylie

myteemo

My twisted mind keeps reading this as 'what was it like seeing your mom get pregnant'.

D:

Disgruntled_Pacifist

Just thought I'd let you know we had our Baby Girl: Evangelia Rose

8lbs 2oz March 26, 9:40pm!

All's well!

Evan, you guys are next

littlem

congrats!!

mullmuggins

Congratulations! I think your little girl deserves a blog of her own - with photos please :)

SJ27

Congratulations!

squintygirl

Congratulations, how awesome!

Evan, I'm certain you're going to be a great dad. When I was pregnant, I was absolutely terrified! I wasn't sure I could handle a helpless baby on my own (my husband's disability was much more severe at that time than it is now), but it's amazing how much you learn as you go along, and how much advice (particularly the unsolicited kind) you can ignore. You'll find out soon enough what things will work and what won't, YOU CAN DO IT!

I'm the middle child, but my younger brother was born when I was just two years old, so I don't remember my mum being pregnant at all. In fact, I think only one photograph exists of my mum being pregnant, and she had three kids! My grandmother still ruled like it was the 17th century and pregnant women had to go into hiding, or something. My mum's sister had eight kids, and I've never seen a photo of her pregnant, either, and she was pregnant CONSTANTLY.

squintygirl

CazKing on Mar 09 '11 at 10:20pm OMG Evan thats spooky - we called our second little one Ruby (she's 11 months now) but we were actually gonna call her Ellie but we changed it at the last minute to Ruby!

OMG, my daughter's name is Ruby! my husband and I had that name in mind about 5 years before she was born. We're nerds, I guess.

Also, Charlie Wyatt is a kick-ass name.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?