Close
One second...

Picasso's Blues: 10^3 Up for Scoring! *emptees*

Emptees Love!

Emptees Love!

I've always wanted to mess with the idea of Picasso's Blue-period and the blues. So I was thinking, what if I jazzed up his famous blue-guitarist?

This is just a rough sketch over the top of it right now. But I figure I can give him a pin-stripe suite, tie, Italian shoes, a Gibson half-body, sun glasses, and sweet hat.

First Step today, roughing out the anatomy. I am sticking pretty close to picasso's but altering it where necessary to fit the new items. Started a guitar (a 1959 Gibson 335), got the first step of a pork-pie hat going. Also, rough colors, but they are bound to change.

Started vectoring, added some block color. Been messing around with shading systems.

Lots more shading. Going to move onto the line work soon.

Got a bunch of work done on the guitar. At this point only have the hands, detail work (stitching, buttons, shoes). I want to go back and redo the neck/beard so they feel a bit better and more like the original. Also get a background going.

On a real shirt color, more details, fixed anatomical issues.

Watch this
Chipmnk

Let's see it.

Krimson

cool Alvin, thanks

Anyone else got an opinion?

SuperRyan

make it happen

Stile

Um yes. Do this.

rhythmdev9

i'd love to see it... put a harmonica around this neck

Krimson

Oh, harmonica is a good idea, plus I can use that to explain his weird-ass head-tilt.

Alright, now the task of deciding whether to do this is Photoshop or Illustrator.

Krimson

Started on this tonight.

Krimson

thanks tim, hope to keep chipping away at it this week.

Krimson

updated with first shapes.

Krimson

any suggestions on shading this thing? I could do lines like I sketched over the hat (but smoother and more calculated), or I guess I could bring the whole file into Photoshop and start doing halftone-shading.

Krimson

bump

Krimson

Some advice would be appreciated, kinda spinning my wheels here.

Krimson

Alright new shading added. Got pretty far, still have to linework and tweak the colors. Then finish up with the Guitar and Background.

ounom

Nice work! Go Ahead! ;)

Krimson

thanks ounom.

Krimson

updated. Now with guitar and more details.

rhythmdev9

looking sweet bro, still think he needs a harp to really bring home the blues feel

Krimson

I'm seriously considering doing that. Will help me distract from that difficult to draw mouth anyways.

Krimson

I'm going to put some serious effort into finishing this thing up over the weekend.

Krimson

Alright, more progress. 2 options, with or without harmonica.

Also, just have a rough background color pallet right now, suggestions on how/what to do would be appreciated.

Krimson

bump

Resistance

wow, the development is so cool! i really like this

Manupix

I'm going to like this.

I have a feeling of anatomical wrongness I don't have with the original, although I can't really spot a difference in pose / perspective (except the head angle of view). Also, I notice Picasso made the hands the (one) focus of his piece. I think you should keep that.

Krimson

So, maybe beef up the detailing on the hands, and revisit the head-neck anatomy?

Manupix

Hands: yes. Head/neck: I don't think that's where the problem is. I've mixed the 2 images to try to pinpoint it: I think it's in the legs. They appear short in your design, even though they're not shorter than Picasso's, but there's a noticeable difference of position of the right knee (ours, his left), and a slight difference in the left thigh which in your design implies a lower pelvis; this is enhanced by the larger guitar which hides some of the other thigh. Also the right (ours) foot is different and looks unnatural.

Krimson

I think I can fix that with a few fairly simple edits to the suit-outlines. Thanks for the in-depth comparison. I am also going to drop the line of the neck a bit, since the turn of the head would have foreshortened it slightly.

Appreciate your comments a lot.

Krimson

Alright, with the anatomy changes.

Krimson

Alright, kept tweaking, put it on an actual shirt color, and fixed some color issues.

What else does it need?

Krimson

next day bump

Krimson

Anyone got any opinions?

Krimson

So, large size print, or smaller and put in some background stuff?

Krimson

This is kinda on the back burner for my other sub, which I think is more "10-10-10" kinda stuff. But if anyone has any ideas about this one, I'd love to hear them.

Krimson

Mocked up on a Tee

Krimson

Sorry to keep bumping this damn blog but i really want to get this damn thing off my plate soon.

Krimson

Up for Scoring!

Krimson

0-_-0

Krimson

bump for votes/comments/loves

No account?