Close
One second...

Heart broken and needing recommendations!

Well I have recently had my heart torn into small pieces, stamped on for good measure, and posted back to me, via txt message. Anyway, I am not one for crying into the night despite this being a horrible time, and was wondering if anyone wants to reccommend some suitable books/films/music for such an occasion?

I am still too raw to take in anything too happy, so scratch that. I think the ideal would be say a novel, about someone totally heartbroken, who then gets their act back together, gets awe-inspiring revenge, and goes on to great success and happiness!

Anyone with any ideas to preoccupy a fragile mind would be greatfully recieved!

EDIT If anyone wants to just recommend single songs I will make a compilation CD, and hey, maybe upload it if people want one!

Watch this
milingmai

most sad lovestory movie in the world: breaking the waves by lars van trier.
but i should add that this film won't make you feel better.
a film that might help is harold and maude by hal ashby. old and nice movie.
and love movies i really like: fucking amal by lukas moodysson and days of being wild by wong kar wei. and i also like brokeback mountain.
i will think about other movies that might help. but my brain is kind of lame at the moment.

lovesushi

well thanks for that, as a film student those are some pretty cool recommendations that I feel bad already for not having seen! I'm shopping tomorrow so I will be making a list :D

dr. pepper

kill bill is the best i can do.

i carnt spel

love actually always rejuvinates my emotional spirits...

but when your feeling a little better and want something really great....

the etched city - by K J Bishop

it's an awsome read... enjoy:)

milingmai

pleased to help you :)

milingmai

and i read douglas coupland's miss wyoming at the moment. i don't know if how it will end (i'm on page n. 100 at the moment) but until now it's a very nice book and also a lovestory. you might like it too.

phones

chungking express is pretty good. Tarantino loves it. Some say pretentious.

Buffalo 66 is supposed to be amazing- haven't seen it.

Blankets is likewise a purported masterpiece It's an epic comic book about love that doesn't have a happy ending.

A chinese ghost story is not only a great love story but is one of the only films to contain almost every genre in one film- horror, comedy, musical, romance, period drama. You HAVE to see it (unless you already have.)

It's about a guy who falls in love with a ghost and has to journey to hell at one point to recue her- epic and wonderful.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

I second phones and Chinese Ghost Story. Or you could watch Moon Warriors which is like Free Willy but with ancient Asian martial arts and wizards instead of annoying children.

milingmai

phones: good choices! chungking express is very awesome.

but bufallo 66 is a great movie! i love it. it's one of my favorites. how could i forget to list it?!

.moto.
.moto. profile pic Alumni

a really nice film is together/tillsammans which is swedish. it's just veyr heartwarming. i recommend.

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Any animation by Miyazaki is nice to watch. The Cat Returns may suit your mood best right now.

abeadle
abeadle profile pic Alumni

oops i didnt contain that link, sorry

applecoree

when "i'm angry"...
ben folds five- song for the dumped

lovesushi

All I can say is thanks to everyone, now making a big list of things to buy! abeadle, tell me about it, text message after four years and exchanged engagement rings!! How rough is that?! Chinese ghost story sounds amazing, and I love graphic novels so Blankets will be bought. Snakes on a plane preview is a must definately!! When not at uni I work in a cinema so I am currently enjoying little kids walking past the poster and totally not getting it...

lovesushi

Oh, anyone wanna recommend a single song for a kick-ass compilation CD for when I go through the aimlessly driving through the night stage?

beta_maxx

Mr. Bungle- "sweet charity"
Helmet- "milktoast"

the czar

"I will survive" - The cover version by Cake

lovesushi

^ I love cover versions. Currently listening to 'chelsea hotel' covered by Regina Spektor, but it's a bit too depressing....

beta_maxx

The Dinosaur Jr. cover of "just like heaven" rocks

phones

just like honey- Jesus and mary chain is a great track (lost in translation ending)

and if you like covers check the 'mary chain's version of My Girl

lovesushi

^ good choice, I love eels. Thanks for this guys, seriously today has been the hardest day so far so the threadless community is really cheering me up!

larchie

You know what I always read? Bukowski's "Love Is A Dog From Hell". ;) With some hot chocolate. You can't go wrong with that combination.

dragana44

when i had MY heart destroyed a couple years ago, i took solace in listening to from autumn to ashes, especially the song "short stories with tragic endings." other bands i checked out and/or still check out when im hurt: silverstein, the killers (Mr. Brightside), dashboard confessional (hands down), taking back sunday (cute without the e, makedamnsure...), fallout boy (grand theft autumn), and the early november (ever so sweet, baby blue)....just to name a few ;)

feel better! you can get thru this!

lovesushi

dragana44, your music choices are astoundingly close to what I have loaded on my ipod right now!! That is frankly amazing. Larchie, I am currently reading 'Barrel Fever' by David Sedaris. Can't beat a bit of Bukowski though!!

sixwhitelies, eels are frickin' awesome! You will soon love them I am sure!

lovesushi

dragana44, your music choices are astoundingly close to what I have loaded on my ipod right now!! That is frankly amazing. Larchie, I am currently reading 'Barrel Fever' by David Sedaris. Can't beat a bit of Bukowski though!!

lovesushi

lovesushi

Blimey! I just posted that three times!! maybe that's lucky or something!

FringedGinger

Bishop Allen always makes me feel a little better without that yucky feeling of something that's trying to make me feel at warm and fuzzy and good.
The "Charm School" album is a personal fav for that most especially. Namley:
Little Black Ache
Ghosts Make Good Company
Things are What You Make of Them
Busted Heart
Empire City
Bishop Allen is the kind of thing that you can sing with when you can't sing and it makes you feel like you can.

Lastly, I hope you get to feeling better. Just remember, the person that's going to waste someone like you is no where near worth someone like you.
Huggles.

lovesushi

FringedGinger, thanks so much for that last comment in particular! I will check out Bishop Allen. Ooh, I added you to facebook too, did you get notified? x

gordond

EastEnders seems to work wonders when I am feeling blue.

No account?