Chipmnk

New trend = faces with food.

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

COLLAB!!!

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

fatheed did.

Sounds defeatist but I'm not gonna bother entering.

Johnny Baboon
Johnny Baboon profile pic Alumni

this is the 4th blog i've seen, but nbd it's kinda crazy

Tonteau

Ah, yes. I've just checked.

Whatever wins won't be anything new, you can near enough guarantee.

MeiSomething

How does one DO a Threadless loves Threadless 2010 tee?!?!?

Bramish
Bramish profile pic Alumni

Yeah - intriguing though. I reckon whatever I might sub next year I'll just put in the running for it anyway. SELF CONTRADICTION!

Johnny Baboon

MeiSomething on Dec 11 '09 at 3:58pm
How does one DO a Threadless loves Threadless 2010 tee?!?!?

really really well

MeiSomething

i mean WHERE does one even start?

MeiSomething

thematically, that is. You know what to do with a Threadless Loves Travel theme, but Threadless Loves Threadless?

MeiSomething

obviously......................

gumbolimbo
gumbolimbo profile pic Alumni

ah. Just start anywhere. If you need a restriction, pick a theme yourself. Snot that hard.

MeiSomething

Snot is a good start :D

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

Tonteau on Dec 11 '09 at 3:56pm

"Whatever wins won't be anything new, you can near enough guarantee."

Needs an explanation %)

MeiSomething

with art why didnt i think of that ... hahaha

Johnny Baboon

start with ideas and then art it up and bam 10 grand

Tonteau

quister on Dec 11 '09 at 4:04pm
Tonteau on Dec 11 '09 at 3:56pm

Needs an explanation %)

-------

I dunno, I could be wrong, I hope I am, but I've seen these new competitions, the revolution and all come and go and nothing groundbreaking ever gets chosen (imho, naturally). I think essentially a T-shirt needs to have quite a broad appeal for it to succeed and that doesn't always lend itself to producing 'new' things as new things aren't accepted by the public. It could be I'm reading it wrong, all they want is the next trend, but surely a trend is marked by people the copying the style.....so you can't tell if it's actually a new trend until a year later when everyone is doing it.

In a competition with such a great prize things usually end up being forced and people just cobble together old elements or take a twist on something that's been done before. I dunno, it could be I'm reading it all wrong. It just seems like an impossible brief.

Tonteau

That said, john. I thought your party animal shirt was a very original piece of work.

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

i think the winner of "threadless loves threadless" had a pretty unique application. i don't think its technique has ever really been replicated after that... but maybe just the idea of new ways to use textures and lines or whatever.

Tonteau

^that's a big old stream of nonsense thought, now I read it through.

Essentially my points are.

Anyone doing anything new won't be popular enough to get selected as the public on the whole don't respond well to images and concepts the find unfamiliar.

A trend is measured over time and it will be impossible to say what has or hasn't become a trend for a long while to come.

Additionally, trends generally come and go, which usually means shirts in the mould of a particular trend will look whack in a year or two's time. Thinking about it, trends suck.

Tonteau

What was that one, sonmi. Pls refresh my memory.

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

the subject matter wasn't entirely unique, i think it was all about the style. totally expected this to be the winner when i first saw it!

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

Tonteau

Good call.

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

i think the issue this time around though is that there aren't the limitations of only having 4 colors and no simulated process. people can do whatever they want, and pretty much have, already.

Steve The Great

quote for emphasis.

Tonteau

Although it didn't become a trend, really. It was just a good piece of innovative work. Has it ever been reprinted? Did it sell well? Not that these are criticisms of the tee, but if it wasn't reprinted it reinforces the opinion that new, innovative stuff doesn't generally sell well.

Not that I think that's too much of a problem with tees. They need to be popular and that's part of the skill in creating a tee that people will like.

sweet n sour
sweet n sour profile pic Alumni

I'm exited it's a good excuse to sub stuff you wouldn't normally bother subbing and hey who knows you might get 10 grand!

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

i don't think that exact style so much became the trend so much as rethinking how to use such a limited amount of colors.

Tonteau

Also:

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

what the what?!

Tonteau

sonmi on Dec 11 '09 at 4:48pm
i don't think that exact style so much became the trend so much as rethinking how to use such a limited amount of colors.

--------

That might be a good point, but I'm not sure how you could prove it.

Tonteau

Best product pic ever!

Andreas Mohacsy
Andreas Mohacsy profile pic Alumni

what about a transformer t that becomes a cute little hand bag accessory like a dog, condom or ecstasy tablet?

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

A prize for creating a trend should be given retrospectively. After a trend has occurred!

shirtflirt

i agree with none of you

Andreas Mohacsy

it's a 10K prize for a high quality sub that has a touch of uniqueness about it (a kind of x factor), that both the people and threeadless really like by an artist threadless really likes

correct?

Andreas Mohacsy

also i guess when people all fuss over a particular sub for whatever reason a miniature trend is created and thus justification for the prize...

even though as many of you stated it can only truly be awrded retrospectivly

Tonteau

It's for a new trend.

Andreas Mohacsy

but that is a farcical concept as you have already stated

Andreas Mohacsy

given the current nature of threadless contests anyway

MeiSomething

it's a 10K prize for a high quality sub that has a touch of uniqueness about it (a kind of x factor), that both the people and threeadless really like by an artist threadless really likes this is the closest to my own understanding. i can't analyse this further without getting a bit of a headache, really. If Threadless says to create a new trend, I think they mean something entirely fresh from most if not anything we've seen so far. They can't literally mean to ask us to create a new trend, can they-- nobody who actually created a trend did so, with the intent and succeeded. At least not that I'm aware of.

quister
quister profile pic Alumni

Yeah, I get you. New things/trends are usually slow on the uptake. Still, there are some that so resonate with people that they just take off. Your observation, "I think essentially a T-shirt needs to have quite a broad appeal for it to succeed..." is right on imo. Maybe the solution lies in someway wrapping the old into the new. Taking an accepted cultural principle/practice and putting it under a new light? Or imagining a cultural bent with a futuristic twist?

Anyway, thanks for your comment about Party Animal. I think about what it was that appealed to people. Maybe it has something to do with what we're talking about here. Taking the familiar, and showing it in a new way. Dunno for sure, wish I did =]

stubby43

Its really generous of threadless to do this... but I am not looking forward to voting through all the crap that got subbed because everyone wants to win 10k.

EricDiaz

oh yea, there will be a lot of designs for this one!

shirtflirt

2010 the trend of no trends

Tonteau

the end of trends!

shirtflirt

seems that without trends, fashion goes away, and we resort back to a time without People Magazine, Victoria Secret Runway shows and the like...i'd like to live for a little while before there was a media machine telling people what to wear. i think in countries where there is a bit of personal freedom to wear what one wishes, it woulda been nice to not feel like you're trying to be something by wearing a stupid shirt with a logo on it. i know, i'm an idiot.

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
No account?
Join Us