Close
One second...

How Do You Draw a Sphere?

• by pixls
  • posted Oct 08, 2009
  • 28 Comments

I was in my drawing class the other day and we were learning about perspective drawing. And then I was thinking "huh, you can't draw a sphere like that" and then I thought, you know, I bet circles feel all left out...

Watch this
pixls

I was in my drawing class the other day and we were learning about perspective drawing. And then I was thinking "huh, you can't draw a sphere like that" and then I thought, you know, I bet circles feel all left out...

baseballfntc

So true! It is nice for a t-shirt to point out the isolation of the lonely circle. I'd definitely purchase this shirt!

Disgruntled_Pacifist

one thing that I learned was if you wanted to convey something as a sphere you added a slightly askew square with rounded left and right sides, but that's not the point of this....

I don't see the purpose of the UV ink really and one small detail, the triangle has triangular eyes, the "spere" has circular ones, maybe the square should have diamond or square eyes.

Watch What You Eat
Plan of A Tack

pixls

I was thinking that about the eyes and stuff, not sure how it'd look but i'll try it
I thought the UV ink would be interesting, because in not daylight it'd be like just the plain 2d shapes, in sunlight it would be like someone drew in the 3D elements

pixls

oh oh oh!
do you guys think the colored lines should be dotted, or dashed, or just keep them as solid lines?

boonos

i think dotted lines might work nicely... also maybe center the sad face in the sphere???

pixls

@boonos thanks for the feedback there, as for the centering of the face on the circle i was thinking that it was like, turning away, in shame

@gamerzchik yeah, i did that on purpose, thinking it wasn't a great idea now though, thanks!

pixls

Hey you!
I've been missing from threadless for a while, busy with school :P

I'm glad you like it, I think i'm definitely gonna go with the dotted lines, I haven't done anything with shirt color yet, because really i just threw this together while i was supposed to be writing a paper.

Interesting idea with the condescending looks and whatnot, i'm afraid it would just be difficult to get the point across, but i'll try some things, maybe just make them look more smug?
we'll try some things, good to see ya!

pixls

OK! so this is one of my little comparison thingies. The first one is the same as in V.1 i just filled in the circle's other eye.
The second one is the same except that the Square has square eyes, not sure i like it...
The third one quite plainly has DOTTED FREAKING LINES!

ok so leave comments, tell me what you think, and I'm still thinking UV ink is a good idea, maybe it isn't, what do you think?

pixls

Ok, I've decided that i like the dotted lines, but none of you were any help :P
uhm, my question here for you is what you think should be in UV ink, if anything.
also, if you liked the solid lines better, say so!

Disgruntled_Pacifist

I like the dotted lines too, someone had suggested centering the face on the "Sphere", I disagree, I like that the sphere is looking away in embarrassment. The UV paint is still unnecessary in my mind, if you can't see the lines then the shirt has no real message. Not sure if you ditched the idea of the square eyes on the square but I liked them.

Not a Pirate (Just Clumsy)
Plan of A Tack

pixls

So i'm hearing one "no" for the UV ink
as for the circle's face, thank you, i thought it was better this way too
About the square eyes, I thought that it looked a little too robotic... i could play around with it, the lines might've just been too skinny...

ozf5

I like the idea and the dotted lines. like the look now, but I don't see what uv ink would add to it either.

check out and scoreDarth Side of the Moon

ndrwcohick

haha. this is awesome

pixls

ok, so I'm starting to think UV is out altogether, thanks guys

now, is it ready to move to a shirt (template)?

Helloleong

Haha, This is cool. Maybe the yellow sphere expression can change to green.

If you have some time, please vote and comment on my sub. Thanks.

pixls

Thanks, I see what your saying, but I was trying to go with the CMYK colors, i thought it fit nicely using basic colors with basic shapes

fscott

I like the dotted lines. If the shapes were filled with a very light color, the same design might work on both light and dark fabric.

simcha123456

sweet man this is nice-good work-chek mine out!!!!! :)

ringoismestarr

loove it!!
really, this is a great idea! i will buy it for sure when it gets printed

ringoismestarr

loove it!!
really, this is a great idea! i will buy it for sure when it gets printed

pixls

whooooaaaa, i've been totally busy, and when checking back on threadless i totally forgot about this dude,
@charity THANKS! does it say when it's my birthday or are you just creepin?
@everyone else thanks for the feedback! i think i'm gonna try pumpin out another revised version soon

anotherdave

I think they need a base line along the bottom at the back, if you know what I mean? - A dotted line in colour, running parallel to the bottom black line.

For the full 3D effect.

No account?
Join Us