Close
One second...

Blue Skies

• by lizle
  • posted Sep 01, 2009
  • 35 Comments

This is my first ever design for Threadless. It's meant to be printed with just the blue and white on a green (or other colour) shirt. I'd really appreciate any comment or suggestions. Thanks!

Watch this
lizle

This is my first ever design for Threadless. It's meant to be printed with just the blue and white on a green (or other colour) shirt. I'd really appreciate any comment or suggestions. Thanks!

Simps0n

I think green's not the colour you need here...
Maybe a different shade of blue?

Critique my design? The Girl

EricDiaz

Try making the type out of clouds... the font is a little too straight and harsh compared to the softer trees. It would be cool if yo could blend out the circle around the whole design so it just looked like you were staring straight up in a forest. I like the tee color, you could even go with a lighter green.

lizle

Thanks for the comments! I totally agree about the circle, I hope this looks a little more realistic/random. I kind of like how the clean lines of the lettering contrast with the more organic shapes of the trees/leaves but I tried to soften it a bit by making the colours less contrasting. And lastly, I tried a lighter green for the t-shirt. What do you think? Does it help?

Simps0n

Yep definitely better!

Critique my design? The Girl

lizle

Feel like you're looking up at the sky through a leafy forest canopy?

I'm new to Threadless and I'd really appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks!

lizle

Feel like you're looking up at the sky through a leafy forest canopy?

I'm new to Threadless and I'd really appreciate any comments or advice. Thanks!

Montro
Montro profile pic Alumni

Nice text! I would add some graphic elements to strengthen the message

Snaggletoofer

Actually, without the text and with a few more graphical additions (silhouettes of birds perhaps) would make this more pleasing in my opinion.

hellomynameis___.

i agree add clouds and expose the last "s" in skies a little more

frogmaster9

I really like it, I think it's a great idea.

Some things to consider:

It would probably be more effective if more of the text was exposed---as it stands now, if i didn't already know the title, I'm sure I would struggle to figure out the second word.

I agree with what other people have said, I think a few more elements (such as birds or clouds) would go nicely with this, especially since the leafy-ness of the trees is already so detailed (and looks very nice, by the way).

Keep going with it, it has great potential!

frogmaster9

Also, the progress you've made so far is fantastic. The colors are great, and it was a good move "blending out the circle" as EricDiaz suggested.

EricDiaz

Looking good! You could always go with BLUE SKY instead so it's easier to read.

wilbury
1 design submitted -

awesome Idea. Very original.

WinLaikPya

I think it's perfect the way it is.

The reason being the contrast. The text is base and blocky, very much unlike the natural canopy.

I don't think it needs to be easier to read, either. Most people will be able to figure it out with one glance, maybe a few seconds if they are distracted.

Finally, the submission says "Blue Skies", not "Partly Cloudy".

That being said, no clouds are necessary.

Keep it simple.

But that's just my opinion. Most people disagree with me on this, i can tell, and you're job is really to please the most people possible, so i guess i'm a bit out of luck.

Diggit_6

what would be cool, is if you added the sky in there instead of just the words. You could try maybe writing out "blue skies" in the exhaust of an airplane or something like that. I think that would add to this already brilliant design.

edgarscratch

i agree with Snaggletoofer may be some cloud will be a different and put the birds would be nice
but this is great

lizle

Ok, so I tried going with "Blue Sky" instead of "Blue Skies" but I'm not sure whether it helps make the message any clearer. Had to use bigger typeface to fill the space, so it may actually mean that more of the message gets cut off this way. What do you think?

I also added some birds, as suggested, trying to integrate them with the text in a way to give things a little more dimension.

ClaireLordon

I like it but maybe make the words a bit fainter so you have to search for them.
Also maybe add some dark green lines to help define the trees.

Mind helping me?
My Design-Click Here

evan3
evan3 profile pic Alumni

i like it but it looks a little pixels
also get rid of the words
the negative space makes it stand out enough
and add clouds
maybe even a sun radiating through the trees
lighten it up
:)

extravisual

I agree about typelessness
but can you tell blue skies from pain?
birds have flu, lead them off site.
no clouds necessary... LOVE tone of blue

Presstiger

Maybe make slogan 'Blue sky' as clouds?

hotspot

Nice! mabe not remvoe the font but make if a bit darker so its almost the same as the blue sky

Maybe if you have time you can comment critique my design, i made a new version: Spider Food and The Sword, i'd really appreciate your opinion, thanks!

brandonjw

The concept is good, but I wonder what could be done if you use words other than 'blue' and 'sky'. These are the most generic of terms. If you plan to get a shirt printed with type, then the type really needs to sell the design.

I agree with more subtlety in the differences in blues. Make people look for the typography. Maybe have it simply be a varnish instead of a separate ink?

boxbrown

Why does it have to have any words on it at all?

extravisual

the SHAPE of the sky, I mean the area masked with leaves and branches looks suspiciously very familiar to me...hmm... ?

did you reuse a design, a stock image or is this your original vector/art lizle? (I mean the sky area only...)

Majofo

I like the type. This pictures looks like it could make a good print! What I like about the type is the contrast between the straight lines and the more oraganic nature of the trees. I would mind seeing the type be a LITTLE bit more organic though. It's a good contrast but it's almost to harsh with the straight lines..if that makes any sense at all. :P I like the light blue myself, maybe make the color of the type a little lighter and make it more clear that that word is SKY. I likes it!

ben buzzkill

I like this design but I don't think the type is bringing anything to the party. I think it's a much stronger design without the type.

Pattybeetle

I really like the addition of birds. it's a good idea.

Jebs
Jebs profile pic Alumni

sweet concept, but i think your color choice is not as good as it should be. i also prefer sky vs. skies. i prefered in fact your first color choice with a nice contrast! it would be even better if we read a little more the word "sky", just a little more ;)

ben buzzkill

The birds are great, they definitely add to the design.

I think the colours you have here are the best you've had yet, it'd be nice if the green was a little brighter but I think you've picked the best one for the job out of what's available.

Please take a look at my designs here.

No account?