Close
One second...

Those Geisha Blues

• by voodazz
  • posted Aug 12, 2009
  • 53 Comments

What if Geishas sang the Blues? They'd have a lot to sing about I bet, so I tried to convey it, although the hairstyles look more Oiran than Geisha... I just like the look of it.

Watch this
voodazz

What if Geishas sang the Blues? They'd have a lot to sing about I bet, so I tried to convey it, although the hairstyles look more Oiran than Geisha... I just like the look of it.

projekct

This would be really bad ass if it were only one of the guitar playing geishas printed jumbo on the shirt maybe a tear rolling out of one of the eyes. This would be my prefrence, but you have a solid concept and great illustration skills.

swe3tP

im wondering what color tee it would be on, and what the placement would look like. its an awesome illustration, and awesome idea, but i think placement on a tee could make or break it

Adelaide Blue

i love geisha...
i love your tee!

voodazz

Having the guitar player solo is a pretty cool idea. I need to see how that looks and yeah, placement and t-color is crucial. Still trying to decide on that.

Thanks for the crits, everyone. Keep 'em coming!

voodazz

First attempt of placing this on a shirt. Not dead set on the "rising sun" bg.

frauleinkatrina
frauleinkatrina profile pic Alumni

The background is a little flat and too much like the Japanese flag, to me. Try putting a background or an outline on it. The placement on the shirt (and the design) are both really good, but I also want to see it on a lighter cream.

Look at mine?

voodazz

Modified the original illustration and put it on different tee colors

voodazz

messing around with the saturation on the cream shirt

Tsany

I prefer it without the red background, the women were getting lost in amongst all that red.

There seem to be quite a lot of geisha shirt designs lately :)

voodazz

Thanks for the crits, I just feel something is... missing... I'd appreciate some suggestions to what it might be... hmmmm

professorE

I agree w/ what projekct said in version 1 about the just having one, and making it pretty big.

I like the leaves from version 3, but the yellow sun from version 1 behind them.

I think what's missing might be something grounding them, giving them placement. Not necessarily shadows, but something to denote where they are standing.

I also agree with projekct that you have great illo skills!

voodazz

Decided to focus on the guitar player as suggested. Looks like she has the legs for a solo career. :)

renfrue
renfrue profile pic Alumni

nice!

professorE

YES! This looks outstanding!

The background is even better than all the others, and the negative space of the mountain/branch really add depth. These colors are really powerful. The few leaves and hint of shadow on the ground are exactly what I was imagining but wouldn't have been able to pull off this well.

The only (and I mean only) thing I can think of is to add a bit more contrast where her jawline meets the background.

Make it BIG on the shirt, and this is a serious contender. Great work!

a-monkey-in-a-box

Awesome. I agree with professorE, the face colors are almost the same as the background. Fix that, and you're ready to go!

voodazz

Thanks for the crits, guys. It means a lot.
The foot was looking weird because it was BACKWARDS! I can't believe I missed that!
I put a line to separate the jawline and bg. i kind of like how the face and bg color kind of "blend, but are distinct enough to be separated (i hope)
I added some placement pics as well to see how it would look huge and surprisingly enough, it doesn't look too bad.
Keep the crits coming!

mtcassette

I like this a lot.

I feel like it gets a little messy where the head and the tree collide, maybe have them distanced.

If you would.

Libster

I really like the colours in this against the blue. It definitely has that "bluesy" feel to it. Very nice.

andresL

I like it :)

voodazz

Wow, thanks for telling me about the collar. I completely missed that in my kimono research. I'll be sure to fix that, however I could always change the title to "ZOMBIE Geisha Blues"...heh... naah.

randvotter3000 how would I go about softening the moon? Make it smaller or something?

Thanks so much for the crits, guys! I'll be sure to return the favor!

EZFL
EZFL profile pic Alumni

the overpowering mood is prob due to the colors. id take a look at various asian art and pull the color pallet from their.

also adding a slight bit of texture to mimic an old painting might look nice.

notnorm

Everyone looks cooler with a guitar. Fantastic art and great choice with the moon. I think you're ready to sub.

I would appreciate your feedback.
The Last Battle
Reading Railroad

voodazz

Latest revision of the the geisha. I decided to push the blue palette more and make it a bit more subdued. Made the moon smaller and changed the collar around as well (thank you, Taterzan!)

Ivantobealone
Ivantobealone profile pic Alumni

I like this, the colors are much subtler

professorE

That is exactly what I meant in my last comment. Her face looks awesome!

While I didn't see a need for the other changes, they do look really good. I would submit this thing and start raking in the votes! Make sure you post in the blog when you sub it!

professorE

That is exactly what I meant in my last comment. Her face looks awesome!

While I didn't see a need for the other changes, they do look really good. I would submit this thing and start raking in the votes! Make sure you post in the blog when you sub it!

*my phone did something strange. sorry if this is posted twice...

greenttentacle

I think the moon needs softer edges and maybe some cloud cover?

Could you maybe swing past my critique, Spotted and give me some feedback on colours?

Thanks! :)

odd one

I feel this is pretty much ready to submit

voodazz

This will probably be the last revision before I submit. Just took the pins out of her hair (too distracting) and gave the shadow some character.
With all these tweeks and pokes and break up of her band, she really does have a reason to sing the blues! lol

fhigi25
fhigi25 profile pic Alumni

i really like it. thanks for the comment btw.

the program i used is photoshop, and btw the placement of my design is on the second slide just click on the 2nd rectangle popping out at the bottom of the picture.

also i will gladly put details on my next version b4 i submit it.

once again, thanks for the comments.

frauleinkatrina
frauleinkatrina profile pic Alumni

Wow, this changed a lot! I like it! Did you submit it yet? Because you should.

kaosfactor1

I like being able to see your progression from the original to this version. I think it looks great! It's simple, yet effective!

Skiot

Very cool design, and I think that your progress was all in the right direction. It's more effective for me with just the one geisha.

Great color choices and you are ready to submit!

voodazz

I've finally submitted and waiting for them to (hopefully) accept.

Thanks so much to everyone who gave me feedback and helped it evolve to what it is now! Very cool!

StealthSneak1

I think this is a fun idea. Submit it

Retaxus

that is amazing. good work fella.

cosmo2389

This looks awesome!!! I believe that the changes you made really helped!!! Definitely submit this!! XD

hotspot

Hi there,
your work rocks, waiting for your next sub!

BTW my Global Love you critiqued is up for scoring :-)

hokai

i like it...

Zen

No account?
Join Us