4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9
  8. 10
  9. 11
  10. ... 15
elemenopy

This thing is getting about 100 votes an hour.

DarkSteele

I went back in time, taught bill gates how to make a computer and created a healthy competition between him, mr. jobs, and the Japanese so technology would progress to the point where a site called threadless would open in which I could vote for this shirt.

eZ-kun

i just made countless account and i commented and voted with each of them saying that i made an account just to vote for this. yes, it's that fun!

geniusNOTatWORK

I don't know why I didn't think of this first... FUCK! But honestly, I would buy this.

Durkadoo

I don't care that keyboard cat is already past its prime as a meme, I still really want this shirt.

aelamb

wolf shirt meets lolz cat...well played! $5

thestray

I find it kind of interesting that the people most upset by this shirt have submitted a lot without being printed, and have mostly low scores. Hmmm...

Kamrusepas

Oh my god, love it.

eric3708

For those of you who don't understand... The designer combined 2 internet "memes" into one and added it to the shirt. One of the original "memes" the designer references is a shirt with three wolves on it and a moon. The shirt rose in popularity due to satirical comments left on its review page on amazon.

The second meme is Keyboard cat. Keyboard cat is typically added to a video after an original clip, in which the keyboard cat is designed to indicate that the original action was funny, or should be mocked.

The designer combined both of these concepts and placed the keyboard cat in place of the wolves.

You may be wondering why this shirt is funny? It isn't to you if you don't understand the references. But to well read members of internet society love when memes are combined. As anyone from the internet knows, the only thing better than one meme, is two or more memes combined.

News article about the original 3 Wolf Shirt and its popularity:
http://abcnews.go.com/WN/story?id=7690387&page=1

original amazon post:
http://www.amazon.com/Three-Official-T-Shirt-Cotton-Sleeve/dp/B000NZW3IY

wiki article about keyboard cat:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Keyboard_Cat

Captain Colon

If I can't buy this shirt then I will be boycotting Threadless.

daboagain

No! Please no!!! I'm scared!

elemenopy

CaptainColon... until today you had never been to Threadless. What's the loss?

AdderXYU

thestray on Jul 18 '09
I find it kind of interesting that the people most upset by this shirt have submitted a lot without being printed, and have mostly low scores. Hmmm...

You can interpret this as "jealousy that this is going to almost assuredly print and they can't do anything as popular", as you imply you have done. OR, and this is where most people don't think before they comment, it might be that when something that is clearly a mash-up of two overplayed internet memes with no actual artistic value and a shelf life of a year at absolute tops before no one cares starts getting this sort of attention, it makes people who actually put in effort to be original and artistic and do something truly wearable, but continually fail, frustrated. And it must be frustrating to be in that position.

Profit capitalization is not art. Consider this next time one is quick to throw the idiotic insinuation of jealousy at someone who clearly cares more about creativity and quality than most.

AdderXYU

You may be wondering why this shirt is funny? It isn't to you if you don't understand the references. But to well read members of internet society love when memes are combined. As anyone from the internet knows, the only thing better than one meme, is two or more memes combined.

Man, you have NO idea how much I am laughing at the thought of the phrase "well-read members of internet society". If this is our generation's Faulkner, we are a doomed culture.

elemenopy

Adder +++++

urion

I signed up just to rate this shirt. SO AWESOME.

thestray

I don't understand where this "no actual artistic value" part is coming from? How is this any less artistic than any of the other gag shirts that Threadless prints?

I've looked at some of the work of people bashing this, and frankly I think they're not getting printed for a reason. I think they should focus more on their own work and less on trying to bring down work they feel doesn't deserve to be popular. They were getting 1's and 2's before this, so there's no need to take it out on this because it's popular and not up your alley.

To say this isn't art, or doesn't have artistic merit, is nonsense. It's well executed, and it's a clever mash-up of two things that are very internet-prolific. If you don't like the shirt, so what? If you don't find it funny, so what? We can't all like everything. But pissing and moaning because you don't want something that you don't like to be popular is kind of petty to me. Personally I would never buy or wear this, but I'm not going to hate on it because it's not my taste and has done better than anything I will ever do.

elemenopy

It's just not what the TL community expected, hence the backlash... the rest is nebulous.

skippyOSX

Please. Make. This. Happen. Now.

I NEED this shirt in my life.

Burnsauce Johnson

This shirt must be made to keep the universe from tearing in two...

zeropluslessthan

I signed up for everything on the internet, accidentally signed up for time travel, went back in time, dropped the A-bomb on Hiroshima, visited the grassy knoll eight times and was therefore all of the eight shooters of Kennedy, adopted scores of Korean children in order to engender awkwardness by placing them in image-conscious American high schools, and bought every porcelain poodle, Jesus hologram, Elvis mug and lava lamp in the Western world, just so I could express my relative indifference towards this rather kitsch, but fairly well-rendered T-shirt.

AdderXYU

So I guess you're saying that therefore, the wolf shirt has artistic merit? I guess I didn't realize new-agey uberdrivel was the new quality. I should head down to The Gilded Wyvern tomorrow and stock up on new decor.

I won't pretend this isn't clever, but it is not a good shirt, and is definitely not Threadless quality. Most of threadless's humor catalog (and note, I say MOST) is clever, creative, well executed, and above all wearable. No one would ever buy anything in this style if it wasn't for the dramatic ironic popularity of the original wolf shirt. People bought three-wolf-moon to be ironic. People would buy this to be ironic toward irony. Eventually it just becomes pretension to no real end. You are forcing yourself to like things because it is funny to like them, because no one with taste really likes that sort of thing. LOL!

Anyway, this will print and look as awful as the original shirt and a bunch of nitwit 4channers will come through and buy this and downvote intelligent and interesting pieces now and again and then forget the site existed, and in a year when this is reprinted, no one will care about either meme because internet memes are not spawned by people with that sort of attention span.

toeMas

this image is so subtle

thestray

elemenopy on Jul 18 '09
It's just not what the TL community expected, hence the backlash... the rest is nebulous.

Anything insanely popular is going to have a backlash, because some people just can't stand to see something they don't approve of really take off. Human nature I guess.

If people are going to be mad that this shirt is referencing two internet memes, they might as well be mad at all the other shirts Threadless has printed in the past referencing pop culture. I don't see how combining two phenomenons invalidates this. Also the rendering style fits the concept.

"Profit capitalization is not art". My eyes almost fell out of my head because I rolled them so hard. Last time I checked all of us designing and submitting shirts are trying to make some profit.

thestray

So I guess you're saying that therefore, the wolf shirt has artistic merit? I guess I didn't realize new-agey uberdrivel was the new quality. I should head down to The Gilded Wyvern tomorrow and stock up on new decor.

Yes the wolf shirt has artist merit, it's not my taste, it's not your taste, but that doesn't mean it doesn't have merit. Just because we don't fancy a certain aesthetic doesn't disqualify it as art.

thestray

I don't like a lot of things on here, but I don't say "it has no artistic merit".

elemenopy

The TL catalog is more original now than kitsch... Ala alexmdc, ISABOA, Basilisk et all.

Arto_otrA

I'll take 5 of them! 5$

elemenopy

Originality in this design's case is in the concept, not so much the artistic event. Well executed but still a gag.

Seabs

honestly i dont think threadless would ever print this despite most the staff touting it. its good publicity and getting lots of new members on TL but its just a joke tee in the end.

ArTrOcItY
1 design submitted - Score now!

They will print it, most of people here signed up just to vote it and I think hell would rise if it didn't print!

Seabs

yeh but theyre not real threadless customers. i think printing a crappy meme shirt would damage their reputation and i'm sure they know that. its funny....for a while, but everyone will have moved on by the time this would print!

Nice.s.t.e.e.

ah let them have their fun...
print the shirt, thousands will buy, they'll shoved in a drawer cuz no one will ever really wear them save for the ones trying to hard to be relevant and 2 years later when we're cleaning out our drawers to make room for new clothes we'll see the shirt and think this'll be good for cleaning windows or mixing paint on or setting under your car to catch that leak or ripping to shreds to use as a gas cap
and then we'll all laugh at ourselves because we bought into the hype and paid $25 (after shipping) for a rag...

on a sidenote because like stray said it actually does have merit, it would make a better wall print than tee. just based off merit and looks though, obviously it would sell better as a shirt but the style reminds me of those street artist people you see at heavily foot trafficked areas that sell those random paintings of planets and artist renderings of famous people and the like

elemenopy

Hilarious Nice

WarDrobeInSpareOom

wonders how many people will still find this funny by the time it prints

iPear

is this jesus? I'm converting immediately.

ArTrOcItY
1 design submitted - Score now!

They'll print it as soon the voting ends so we can all finally carry on with our lives!

kidloko

What the fuck is this??????

thestray

Oxen better hope they DON'T print it, because he'll make way more money off it if he owns the rights to it.

thestray

People should check out his portfolio, he has some nice stuff. He's a talented kid, and he thought of a clever idea.

nonolarson

First time I hear about this keyboard cat vid, made me google it, and... it was not so funny.

pochettejuliano

Commenting just to say I was here when it happened, having missed the whole T-Rex with monocle incident.

...and that when I started wearing this shirt, all the girls suddenly dig me.

vinceoc

amazing.

Bio-bot 9000

I clicked 5$. I just signed up. When does I get my money?

d3d

xiv on Jul 18 '09
biggest pile of crap ever. most of you people are fools.

+1 respect

stalliongsta

i think i need to comment on this for posterity.

i was here and i voted on this design!

abates
abates

YES YES YES! Please.. I want this

Page:
  1. 3
  2. 4
  3. 5
  4. 6
  5. 7
  6. 8
  7. 9