Close
One second...

Announcing... Twitter Tees By Threadless!

• by the ThreadStaff
  • posted May 19, 2009
  • 171 Comments

5.19.09 IMMEDIATE RELEASE: @Threadless to crowdsource #TwitterTees. @Biz says "Awesome!" http://thrdl.es/~/R

Watch this
Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
asfi235

I love Threadless... but I hate, hate, hate this idea.

On the basis of the four shirts released so far, I'm totally with you on this.

Look at the legacy of the "Loves" competitions and generally you'll see a commonality: awesome design comes first, and the thing being "Loved" comes second, if it's apparent at all.

Now we've got a bunch of third-party branded sloganwear which do a great job of promoting Twitter but are meh in every other respect.

Hey Threadless, has the Economic Downturn really made you this desperate?

Kookaberry
Kookaberry profile pic Alumni

I read that press release and I think it's in robot language. I don't get what is happening.

littlem

hahahaha andyg

briancook
briancook profile pic Alumni

I think I know what's going on....robots have taken over the world PANIC!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

mezo
mezo profile pic Alumni

I do not understand this and I will not acknowledge it.

Kookaberry
Kookaberry profile pic Alumni

@Threadless to crowdsource #TwitterTees. @Biz says "Awesome!" http://thrdl.es/~/R Please RT!

seriously is this English?

stothemofob
stothemofob profile pic Alumni

jumping the shark?

schleb

HELP I DON'T GET IT

Torakamikaze
Torakamikaze profile pic Alumni

im gonna hop on pop with andyg on this one

(that means agree in seussical)

mgill52

Threadless, could we get an explanation of why this is happening?

SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

I assume they're trying to capitalize on Twitter's popularity

ndstillie
ndstillie profile pic Alumni

Is Type Tees going away?..seems the same product with different submission method. From a business standpoint its a good way for threadless to tap into the twitter user base. Threadless knows what they are doing obviously, but in my opinion this would have been a much better "Loves" contest than product line.

aled
aled profile pic Alumni

stothemofob on May 19 '09 at 1:24pm
jumping the shark?

Krimson
Krimson profile pic Alumni

Hopefully this doesn't kill the slogan-world...

rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

Yeah I don't want to be a member of the Official Twitter Club or the Twitter Shoguns

Krimson

Also, wtf does 140 is the new 420 mean.. is it a pot reference?

brentendo

andyg on May 19 '09 at 11:50am

agreed

SuperRyan
SuperRyan profile pic Alumni

I do believe that is a marijuana reference, Kevin

rossmat8
rossmat8 profile pic Alumni

Yeah they're saying the 140 characters is more addictive than pot

Krimson

Eh, this thing kinda leaves a bad taste in my mouth...

Like when you eat something and then take a nap right away, and wake up with that terrible taste in your mouth.
It is like that.

mz. kat-ii

andyg on May 19 '09 at 11:50am

asfi235

Yeah they're saying the 140 characters is more addictive than pot

I confess I've twittered a few times.....but I did not inhale.

ndstillie

are they still making prints out of designs or did that go away?

Krimson

ndstillie on May 19 '09 at 2:24pm
are they still making prints out of designs or did that go away?

Nah, Art isn't the "New Thing".

PeculiarTiffany
PeculiarTiffany profile pic Alumni

I love Twitter, but I personally would never buy a shirt based off of someone else's Twitter quote.

pilihp
pilihp profile pic Alumni

i like twitter, but i haven't warmed up to this idea yet. i fear people will start tweeting random quotes just for a chance to get printed and i'll resort to unfollow people. i dunno.

nathanwpyle at gmail.com
nathanwpyle at gmail.com profile pic Alumni

Threadless is just going to harvest more slogans from an exponentially bigger crowd.

I suspect that in the end, most of the Twitter Tees slogans printed up will be not be Twitter-related.

Regardless, it means more hits on Threadless, more hits on Twitter, and t shirts that advertise both.

Hard to blame Threadless for taking the plunge, IMO.

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

i like twitter too, but would never want a t-shirt about twitter.

so.. it won't all be about twitter, though? i'm confused. is this thing permanent?

courtney pie

fatheed on May 19 '09 at 11:50am
The slogan is dead. Long live the Twitter.

sad face with quivering lip

thanks for 140 clarification!

jublin
jublin profile pic Alumni

haha i bet that will probably happen phil.

to be honest, i was never really into the whole Slogan thing, but it made sense so i just ignore it. Same deal here. NBD. Doesn't have much of an impact on me in any way at all.

ndstillie

maybe if they had released stronger shirts...i hope these aren't too representative.

brentendo

i don't thin there will be a difference between slogan tees and twitter tees eventually, it just seems like a marketing tool atm and the twitter references are just a way of hooking twitterers into threadless territory. I'm going to be looking out for a buttload of blank avatars any time soon..

pilihp
pilihp profile pic Alumni

jublin on May 19 '09 at 2:40pm
Doesn't have much of an impact on me in any way at all.

wait till your twitter page is full of random quotes... but i guess that's what twitter is anyways, huh? i'll have to nap on this. brb.

ndstillie

and the awesome "Nice design vote for my tweet" comments.

sonmi
sonmi profile pic Alumni

twitter tees are less about the threadless community than slogan tees :\

jublin

but i guess that's what twitter is anyways, huh?

Black Steve Martin

brentendo

ndstillie on May 19 '09 at 2:44pm
and the awesome "Nice design vote for my tweet" comments.

:'(

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

Hey hey, thanks for all the comments! I thought I'd weigh in here with an official response to everyone's questions and to let you all know where our heads are at... Basically over the past few months we have blown up on Twitter. We have over 475k followers and there is a huge community there interested in what we have to say. We really wanted to do something special for them.

Twitter is it's own scene, there's a bit of crossover here but not everyone digs it and not everyone should! The site is very tied into Twitter, you need a Twitter account to participate, etc. This project is definitely more for Twitter users rather than the Threadless community, but wherever it crosses over that's great. If you do have a Twitter account, submit/nominate some tweets! Another way to earn some $$$ by participating.

This does not effect Threadless in any way, Threadless and TypeTees are their own communities and this does not change anything we are currently doing...

Also, these first 4 designs are Twitter related but that was just for launching this... we are going to start out doing 2 new Twitter Tees per week and starting next week the new designs will not be so Twitter related.

Anyway, we're pretty stoked to open up the whole community based tee creation process to other communities around the web and are anxious to see how this works out. Thanks for your feedback thus far!

krokun
krokun profile pic Alumni

In the vein of Skaws explanation I dont mind. Probably wont be buying any shirts or participating but hey, why deny the populous another way of accessing t'less?

jublin

Two new twitter tees a week
Two new selects a week
Two new type tees a week
Three new reprints a week
and STILL Six new tees a week?

is that for real? am i number crunching right? so many new tees!

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

yep that's right. crazy!

phillydesigner
phillydesigner profile pic Alumni

:(

it's kinda sad that you stopped making new posters...

phillydesigner
phillydesigner profile pic Alumni

but applaud your diving into another community medium... of which i still haven't wrapped my head around... i've found twitter to be a quick way to stay informed or mildly entertained.. what makes it funny sometimes is how fleeting and random the tweets are... it's such a different medium when it get's printed on a shirt... i guess what makes tweets funny or appealing might be how out of context they are...

briancook

But those new tees will not be on the Threadless main site?

If I were to be printed as a twitterthreadlesser would it show up on my Threadless account?

FRICKINAWESOME
FRICKINAWESOME profile pic Alumni

I still want my question answered dammit!

So what will be the difference between non-Twitter related printed tees and type tees? Will they get 140 characters instead of 65 to work with?

courtney pie

good question FA. good question.

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

FA - the difference (other than character count) is tweets vs slogans ... tweets are more of a 'what are you doing' type of thing, so the content is a slightly different angle. the biggest difference is the audience though, just a different community participating.

skaw
skaw profile pic Staff

chengui - correct, these tees will not be on the threadless main site and will not be in your profile - the user accounts are completely separate.

briancook

cool - that's what it seemed like to me.

kevinwells

to be blunt, this seems exceptionally redundant. you have now created two completely independent lines in which:
- users submit text-only phrases of a limited length
- users vote yes/no on phrases submitted by others
- the highest-voted ones are printed
- threadless' in-house team does all the type-setting and design work
- users get $500 if their phrase gets printed.

they are exactly the same other than the process by which you submit the phrases. if you wanted to modify the system so that people can submit slogans using their twitter accounts, then just do that. what on earth is the point of calling it a totally separate thing?

the other thing that seems really bizarre to me is that you're paying $140 to someone who nominates a tweet. you're paying someone money to submit someone else's work. doesn't that seem a little off to you? if i find someone else's really clever slogan out there, i don't get paid some finder's fee for submitting it as a slogan -- why should this be any different?

Page:
  1. 1
  2. 2
  3. 3
  4. 4
No account?
Join Us