Boy With Gun

• by block33
  • posted Dec 13, 2008
  • 43 Comments

Watch this
block33

I made this based off of a real photo of a russian kid holding a revolver

sentiment

Is their a specific meaning intended by this?

Are you just simply making your own version of this photo? Do you want to make a statement about violence and how it affects kids?

Simply calling it "kid with gun" feels a little careless if you were going for something meaningful because all I read in this is school shooting. Honest.

Mr. Crunchy

I agree with above post.

You might want to be careful about the way you convey the intended meaning of the image.

At any rate, I don't think this is a very appropriate image for a shirt.

Marika79

Niccccccccccccccccce

block33

LOL! a t-shirt isn't a medium to make world change people and this is no political statement.

If school shooting is all this shirt make you think about then you need to step out of your bubble. It makes me think of kids in Africa committing genocide, or kids in the middle east fighting wars. How about gang violence in large cities! Theres also civil war in checoslavacia.

But art does that doesn't it?

I thought it was a cool image and i think its a cool shirt.

Dellex

nice image. but waaay too big! also dont like it in white.

jaggerjack

With the title I see a little bit more into it.., as in kids shouldn't have guns.

Without the title I see some pissed off looking dude with a gun which doesn't hold much meaning to me and which is a shirt that I wouldn't wear.

Rhodescholar

"LOL! a t-shirt isn't a medium to make world change people and this is no political statement. "

"If school shooting is all this shirt make you think about then you need to step out of your bubble.
It makes me think of kids in Africa committing genocide, or kids in the middle east fighting wars. How about gang violence in large cities! Theres also civil war in checoslavacia.

But art does that doesn't it?"

How is this post not a political statement? All instances of whether it be of a school shooting or child soldiers in Darfur are terrible things and whatever it is, Children with guns freaks people out. and with out a specific point of view it is pretty irresponsible or lazy of the artist if they truley want it to be art. If you truley want it to just be a "cool design on a t-shirt", it is a little too much for me to wear around willy nilly as some t-shirt I threw on that day.

block33

well, not for me. I guess....god bless America

block33

do you have a link to the shirt your talking about?

Mountain Gnome

shirts with guns on them = low score for me, sorry

Mister.Mooke

I would totally wear this shirt, all political bs that's being written about aside, I like the design. I would change the color though.

mgill52

Jeremy!

Dirty13

I think it's been Czech Republic and Slovakia for almost 16 years now...
otherwise the design is just kind of meh anyways, regardless of subject matter

Mesh137

I think the poor design and lack of imagination bothers me more than the fact that it features a kid with a gun. photoshop 'cut out' filter style?.....yawn

block33

Mesh137 - sorry i'm note good enough for you dood. I hand traced this in illustrator from a photograph. no cut-out or filters.

If you tired though maybe you should go to bed grump!

nomad.

Live tracing someone else's photo is epic fail.
It's lazy and infringes copyright.

block33

well, then i'm glad i didn't "LIVE" trace it.

block33

Also glad I own the copyright.

Mesh137

I think the point is block: why produce an image by hand that looks like it was live traced or Photoshop cut-out filtered? I swear you might as well have just used live trace on the original photo and saved yourself some time! Its lazy design dude, anyone can take a photo and turn it into a basic vector graphic.

block33

because i like it.

lilmichief78

i would never wear this. it is up to interpertation what the image means and i could imagine most people getting upset if i wore this t shirt instead of compilmenting it.

inkfresh

talking trash about how an image was made is silly. in school kids used to sit around saying, 'oh, this here is this filter, this is that effect...'. but whatever. bottom line is, most of the image consuming world are not jaded adobe creative suite users. no one cares if how you came out with the end result of anything. either it looks good or it doesnt. i dont think the process here has as much to do with this image not being a success as much as the content (or lack of content) of the image. kids with guns are a powerful (some say over done) image. i use them in my art. but i just dont think this says anything meaningful with it.
good try though, and forget the haters.

block33

well said.

[+duracell-]

this design is very linkin park-ish

B 7
B 7 profile pic Alumni

this image was used for an old AFI shirt design back when they were a hardcore band

B 7
B 7 profile pic Alumni

That is not meant to be an insult on you though, im just saying

B 7
B 7 profile pic Alumni

This is not an insult to you though, im just saying

block33

I didn't say i took the photo. Just that i own the copyright of the art. you can't be sued for the representation. I made the vector from a photo. William Klein owns the photo, I own the art.

Wonderlove

If you made any money from your representation of this photograph then Mr. Klein's people would certainly be in touch!

block33

this falls under "interpretation" of the original as it has been changed to much to be a copy.

nomad.

No.
Too many people believe that tripe. It's still readable as Klein's image, therefore it infringes copyright. Sorry.

block33

if it didn't read like the original it would not be a derivative work. Derivative works can infringe or with enough change can be copyrighted as original works.

I will not argue how much change would be enough but I will tell you that MOST law and art scholars believe that Duchamp created an original work JUST by placing a mustache and goatee on the Mona Lisa.

As far as U.S. law goes it just has to change it enough to "considered" an original work. How much? The law doesn't say or prescribe a chart, graph, or list.

I think its enough. The gun used is completely different. %70 of the original photo has been omitted. the "boy" is now only 3 colors. Finally, he is now made up of simple 2 simple shadows.

Is this enough for you? I don't care if it is. Is it enough for Klein? I don't care. I don't care if it gets printed either.
Life goes on.

CRich

Dude!!!! Some People don't like guns pointed at them.

Okay Design but what's the meaning?

CrashBandit

Everyone chill, awesome design!

Oct.sky.

I agree with Jaggerjack.
But.....it's a cool idea. Maybe it needs some reworking though.

Flippinheck

I zeroed this a few days agoand moved on like I normally do all ugly and offensive designs, but I see now that you're actually having a long and tedious argument here.

Why? Just accept the criticism and move on. You've come up with a design that nobody likes, that will not score well (take my word for it) and will never be printed, which is ultimately your goal, isn't it? (Well, I HOPE it is, because if you're just submitting to provoke a reaction then you're just a troll.)

In fact, if you genuinely 'don't care' about anything like you said, then why submit at all, and subject yourself to this voting process? It's great that you enjoy your art so much, but keep it to yourself, because this public voting malarkey isn't suitable for people who aren't interested in what the voting public thinks.

No account?
Join Us