Close
One second...

sweet I can buy 1/2 a tank of gas... aka I found $20 on teh ground

so i you dropped $20 in the parking lot of Henry's market in SB CA I have it and I'm not giving it back

in other news i had to get gas today... fucking $3.99 a gallon $43+ in total.

if we invaded Iraq for the Oil i'd sure like to know where the hell it is?

Watch this
MrDomino
MrDomino profile pic Alumni

I think it would be really interesting to move to a fuel source that's made here and immediately take a huge source of conflict out of the middle east. It'd be real hard to fund terrorism when all your clients are running cars and trucks on hydrogen.

maddingo

yeah well hydrogen could be a option

but it takes a fair amount of energy to split the oxygen atoms off the hydrogen ones in water and all.

shirtflirt

why did we invade iraq again?

oh yeah to replace a person we put in charge. right.

the gas price is indicative of our gas love

lookpolish

When I was a kid, I found forty dollars during a family ski vacation. My dad made me use it to pay for my lift ticket, because he thought I'd spend it on Barbies.

maddingo

gas price is indicative of our stalling $ and china and india's new found love of gas

also speculation in the futures markets.

everyone that ever wished America wasn't in charge of the world ... congrats here it is... and it is $4 a gallon gas.

maddingo

funny story polish

yeah my dad was always pulling stuff like that on us also ... mostly cause he is a cheap bastard however =p

TheArtRobot
TheArtRobot profile pic Alumni

How about Electric Cars fueled by electricity produced by Nuclear Power? Haven't we had both technologies for over 50 year?
(maybe not fusion, but fission at least.)

littlem

it's mine!

lookpolish

My dad's a cheap bastard, and now I am too.

littlem

if i was rich, i would drop money in random places. :)

maddingo

electric cars are great but battery tech is still ass tastic and batteries pose serious environmental issues both in manufacture and disposal.

there are also downside risks to nuclear =p

TheArtRobot

What are the downsides and risks for nuclear power?

maddingo

sweet makes mental note to follow littlem around all the time if she get's rich =p (i mean more so than now that is)

yeah polish my dads cheap bastageness has rub off on me also really.

i am almost incapable of buy stuff at full price =p

littlem

*sometimes i call you "maddingle" in my mind.

maddingo

~~
What are the downsides and risks for nuclear power?
~~

ummm... I'm assuming your joking

waste disposal and 3 Mile Island and Chernobyl might ring a bell however?

maddingo

~~~
sometimes i call you "maddingle" in my mind.
~~~

fair enough... my dingle is quite mad indeed... oh WAIT...

Tonteau
Tonteau profile pic Alumni

In the UK right now you pay about $10 a gallon.

maddingo

yeah but when it effects America we give a damn =p

littlem

i care, tawntoe, i care

maddingo

$10 holy fuck but as I recall gas in Europe has always been stupid expensive anyways.

TheLittleCaptain

Gas prices are high because they CAN be. We have war protests, immigration protests, gay rights protest. Where are the gas protests? People feel helpless against the oil companies.

They're high because they can be high. We don't do anything about it.

I drove down the turnpike and I saw 3 Texaco gas stations. One was $3.29, one was $3.45, and one was $3.51.

THEY GET THEIR GAS AT THE SAME PRICE.

We can complain and make jokes or we can do something about it instead of complaining and scratching our heads.

TheArtRobot

No, I'm actually serious about the dangers of nuclear power, and I'm trying to find a source where an actual nuclear (or any type of) physicist can explain the actual danger. (link to one if you know if any)
Nuclear and particle physics isn't exactly a popular subject of study for most people, but there's no shortage of opinion about it. I don't understand.

TheLittleCaptain

Nuclear power is pretty dangerous. The biggest issue I have with it is the waste produced. The chemical tubes they use to power the process (uranium I believe?) have a ridiculously long half life and must be stored in a secure area. It's possible the chemicals will seep into ground water. Also the entire area is completely polluted. Just not a great process.

Also there has to be a constant flow of cooled water into these tanks and often it will kill all the life in and around the water they are using. They are supposed to cool the water down before putting it back in the source, but they don't and it boils fish alive. Plus chemical leaks are disastrous to the land and the people.

TheLittleCaptain

And meltdowns are possible and I assume you know the effects of that. Radiation is not a lovely thing.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

half a tank of gas for 10 bucks?! half a tank costs me about 50 at the moment.

Skipper6745
Skipper6745 profile pic Alumni

Easy fix: Cars powered by dirty thoughts.

d3d
d3d profile pic Alumni

now that would be sweet

TheArtRobot

It seems like it's always the same story though, the people who study physics are more likely to favor nuclear power, while the people who don't know much about physics are quick to condemn it. (Maybe all those years of studying nuclear reactions has mutated the physicists' brains? or maybe they are all just mad scientists hell bent on world destruction?)
The products of fission of U-235 are dangerous. (I don't know enough about nuclear physics to know if they can be safely and economically converted down to elements with higher binding energies.)
The product of fusion of is Deuterium and tritium is helium-4,
which is very very stable.

TheArtRobot

Oh the reason nuclear energy is so appealing is the energy yield per atom released in a nuclear process is on the order of Mega-electron volts, while chemical reactions (burning) release energies on the order of just a few electron volts. (1 million times less)

peater

I remember when gas was $0.99 in 1999.

maddingo

I don't think it is fair to say people that don't understand physics are the ones scared o' nuclear.

there is still no real totally acceptable way to handle the by products of nuclear ...

and as has been demonstrated the risks of a nuke plant malfunctioning are relatively EPIC!

TheArtRobot

"I don't think it is fair to say people that don't understand physics are the ones scared o' nuclear."

For sure, I stated that way wrong.

TheArtRobot

And I'm sure many physicists are scared of many types of nuclear reactions.

but if people are scared of anything, they should be scared of it for the right reasons, so they would have to know something about the nuclear process, and about the biological and chemical impact of the by products. I guess I'm just tired of getting the "TV" explanation of why nuclear power is dangerous. I'd like to understand exactly why rather than just being told that it is.

Also, I'm a big supporter of renewable resources and environmental and social responsibility, and I'd like to think that there is a place for nuclear energy that is socially and environmentally safe, it will just take a lot of creativity and time to develop the technology.

Spam69

Congrats on your find. Apparently the chips are free when you find money for nothing. There was a good discussion the other night about gas prices on Dragos blog. I came to the conclusion that you guys don't know how lucky you are. In the U.K we are paying approx $9.40 a galleon which is about 3 times what you pay in the States.

Puma7

um, excuse me that was my $20

maddingo

yeah spam i know from experience that gas prices are much higher in the UK and Europe.

it seems to me however y'all (and this is a failure on our part to be sure) that better alternatives to driving i.e. public transport.. exist in Europe vs America.

I would like to have the option at least of not driving to work say but it would take HOURS vs 20~minutes by car.

Spam69

There is excellent public transport in London and some of the other major cities but if you live in the rural areas you can forget it.

No account?
Join Us